Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9179 9180 [9181] 9182 9183 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13176981 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #137700 on: September 08, 2018, 03:12:42 pm »

I wisely/unwisely made a foray into the parts of the internet where fanfiction is stored.

I have never laughed as hard in my life as when I inadvertently found some of this slash stuff that is probably not safe to list here.
I used to be somewhat addicted to dramatic readings of badfics... Normally not too graphic, but then you get utter terrors like the Link x Author Insert marriage fantasy.
I'm pretty certain I know exactly the one you're thinking about.

So bad.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137701 on: September 08, 2018, 03:21:31 pm »

I wisely/unwisely made a foray into the parts of the internet where fanfiction is stored.

I have never laughed as hard in my life as when I inadvertently found some of this slash stuff that is probably not safe to list here.
I used to be somewhat addicted to dramatic readings of badfics... Normally not too graphic, but then you get utter terrors like the Link x Author Insert marriage fantasy.
I'm pretty certain I know exactly the one you're thinking about.

So bad.
Pleasure.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #137702 on: September 08, 2018, 05:01:17 pm »

Eh, I came here to post about an unrelated news article, but apparently it's related.
spooky

Damn, hide yo kids. The rich vampires gonna drain them of blood. And you dont even get awesome vampire kids out of the deal. Just dead kids.

I mean, i can see this leading to legitimate drugs in the future, but the first thing desperate old rich people do is pay for youths blood to prolong their own selfish asses. Fuck.

Admittedly if blood transfusions could have put me through college i totally would have done it, but i doubt kids getting paid for it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 05:05:39 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137703 on: September 08, 2018, 05:36:11 pm »

Don't poor people already sell their blood in countries where that's legal? Not exactly a new thing.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137704 on: September 08, 2018, 05:49:39 pm »

Shit, don't people already donate their blood just to get a cookie and a cup of juice?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #137705 on: September 08, 2018, 05:50:10 pm »

Id sell my blood.

A+ bloodtype.  I'm 100% healthy, disease free, and a runner.  Think of all the high quality platelets and hemoglobin!

HMU 867-5309
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137706 on: September 08, 2018, 05:51:01 pm »

I wasn't just kidding, before, several of my fellow college students sold their blood plasma for spending money.  Here in America.

Apparently it's used for research instead of transfusions, but it still makes it hard to panic over the dystopian nightmare of blood having monetary value.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #137707 on: September 08, 2018, 05:52:39 pm »

blood having monetary value.

Ready for the Federal Blood Tax?

Buying food with blood?  Purchasing a concert ticket with blood?

omg blood is a pretty egalitarian monies, if you consider it.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137708 on: September 08, 2018, 05:54:26 pm »

Besides, the linked article states that they have identified the particular substance that they believe to be the major active compound found in youthful blood plasma, which they call "NAD".

Improvements in biotech would permit this substance to be mass-manufactured.

(Actually, looking at this thing, it could probably be synthesized abiotically. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotinamide_adenine_dinucleotide )

To me, the only scary thing about this is that the boomer generation could become much longer lived, and manipulate politics much longer.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 05:57:09 pm by wierd »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137709 on: September 08, 2018, 05:58:50 pm »

Apparently it's used for research instead of transfusions, but it still makes it hard to panic over the dystopian nightmare of blood having monetary value.
See, that's not really all that noteworthy because normally, blood doesn't have a very high market demand except for treating poor people in peasant hospitals. This development provides a use for large amounts marketed directly at the top percent of rich, influential people. And when rich, influential people have a demand, that demand is extremely big and frequently not very concerned about the methods of supply.

And that's when things get a bit sketchy.

Anyways, my blood is apparently worthless because I'm on stress/depression meds. No job, no education, no skills, can't even donate blood to feel like I'm contributing anything at all to society. Ah well.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137710 on: September 08, 2018, 06:04:29 pm »

I had all my blood replaced with a goat's in case the pope tries to kill me again.

Goat blood is basically anti-holy water, you see.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #137711 on: September 08, 2018, 06:15:03 pm »

So what I'm hearing is that you engaged in a Satanic ritual to better confound the sinister plans of the pope.

You don't happen to have a spare goat, do you? I'll pay for it.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137712 on: September 08, 2018, 06:17:24 pm »

Anyways, my blood is apparently worthless because I'm on stress/depression meds.

Aren't tons of rich housewives on xanax for no reason anyways?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137713 on: September 08, 2018, 06:22:21 pm »

Anyways, my blood is apparently worthless because I'm on stress/depression meds.

Aren't tons of rich housewives on xanax for no reason anyways?
Different chemical composition, the combination could easily be very nasty, especially if the person's already in a situation where they'd need a blood transfer.

Notably, I'm on beta blockers for stress. Reasonably strong dose, too. They combat stress by directly lowering blood pressure and heart rate. Those are generally things you don't want to do for a lot of transfusion-related occasions.

Plus it'd be a bitch to label...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137714 on: September 08, 2018, 06:24:29 pm »

A rich housewife defacto indicates one of two things. (possibly both)

1) they are a trustfund baby, and have always been wealthy.
2) They are married to a wealthy man.

This, owing to their occupation of "housewife", which produces negative income.

Wealthy people measure their self-worth based on how much money they have (I wish I was shitting you, but no. That really is a metric that the upper crust looks at when measuring a person's value.) so it makes sense that somebody living under that social dynamic, but who produces a negative income, would have significant self-worth, self-confidence, or anxiety over changes in their perceived social status.

As such, it makes perfect sense for them to be using xanax.

Of course, the underlying reasoning (that you are worse than worthless if you dont bring home millions of dollars every month) is pathological as hell, but dont undermine those wealthy people's single remaining bastion of inflated self-image over "all those common people" they exploit on a daily basis. ;P
Pages: 1 ... 9179 9180 [9181] 9182 9183 ... 10983