Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9192 9193 [9194] 9195 9196 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13006631 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #137895 on: September 13, 2018, 09:06:58 pm »

Well aren’t you all pedantic persons this day :p
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137896 on: September 13, 2018, 09:08:07 pm »

They seem to just call it Mince.

Or put the animal being imitated in quotation marks.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137897 on: September 13, 2018, 09:11:29 pm »

It is all stardust anyway.  ;)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137898 on: September 13, 2018, 09:13:43 pm »

A star had to die for you to enjoy your dinner. ;)
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137899 on: September 13, 2018, 09:19:26 pm »

Delicious stars.  If stars taste as good as this hamburger it's a suprise we have not just built giant rocket boosters on earth and dove us an the entire planet into the sun so we could start eating.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137900 on: September 13, 2018, 09:32:28 pm »

It is all stardust anyway.  ;)
At least some part of it has been in some intestinal tract at some point, so it's all something else, too. 💩
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #137901 on: September 13, 2018, 10:04:11 pm »

Can they really call it beef mince since it isn’t beef? Totes false advertising.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
How?

Also, I really don't get it why folks make meatless burgers and mince and so on. It just... misses the point of those things.

‘cause they want something that tastes like meat but doesn’t have the bad things that meat can do to you and the environment, plus no guilt from the ethical concerns of something having to die so you can enjoy your dinner :p
I say that because I've actually had a vegan burger and it didn't taste like burger, which defeats the point of calling it a burger. Might as well call it a sandwich by that point and skip the discussion.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137902 on: September 13, 2018, 10:12:25 pm »

Is a vegan hotdog also a sandwich because it doesn't have an actual hotdog? If it's burger-shaped then it's a burger. It's not a goddamn sandwich.

By the same token, a chickenburger tastes nothing like a hamburger, but we still call it a burger. Which defeats the "tastes different" argument. Sure, but now you can say "yes, but chickenburgers taste 'meaty' so they still qualify" which would be somewhere between no-true-scotsman, shifting-the-goalposts or a circular argument.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 10:17:40 pm by Reelya »

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #137903 on: September 13, 2018, 10:35:37 pm »

Is a vegan hotdog also a sandwich because it doesn't have an actual hotdog? If it's burger-shaped then it's a burger. It's not a goddamn sandwich.

By the same token, a chickenburger tastes nothing like a hamburger, but we still call it a burger. Which defeats the "tastes different" argument. Sure, but now you can say "yes, but chickenburgers taste 'meaty' so they still qualify" which would be somewhere between no-true-scotsman, shifting-the-goalposts or a circular argument.

Chicken is meat, so its a burger. Vegan is not meat, so its not really a burger.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137904 on: September 13, 2018, 10:49:59 pm »

I feel like burger is more a description of texture and presentation than of contents or even taste.  A burger is a ground-up patty in a bun, whether it be beef bird or even crab.  Why not beans?
Whereas if you put a pork chop in the same bun, it's agreed to be a sandwich.

That said, I've never noticed imitation meat that tastes much like pork or beef.  I've had veggie chili which I confused for turkey chili, though.

I do love how much spice they stuff into imitation sausage like Tofurkey (tm) etc.  I'd eat it a lot more, but it tends to be expensive heh...  Might as well overspice some TVP and grains myself.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137905 on: September 13, 2018, 11:29:52 pm »

A US man has been accused of pretending to have Down syndrome so he could hire carers to bath him and change his nappies, police have said.

Paul Anthony Menchaca, 31, was arrested at his parents’ home in Gilbert, Arizona on September 6 after his female caregivers discovered he didn’t have special needs, news station KTNV reported.

What the duck? Warning, the rest of the story is a whole lot of "ewww" about nappy-changing fetishes, that I won't quote here.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 11:34:06 pm by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137906 on: September 13, 2018, 11:41:48 pm »

Sausage?  Just make it yourself, if you are going for meatless.
Seriously, the spices are available in the spice aisle.

Depending on the kind of sausage you are after, you would pick appropriately from this list:

subbed sage
fenugreek/anise/fennel (they all taste the same to me, but your mileage may vary)
chili powder
paprika
garlic powder
onion powder
black pepper
white pepper
red pepper
salt
(sometimes:)
Oregano
Parsley
oregano
thyme
rosemary

Since you are going meatless, I would personally consider adding something like marmite or vegemite, since tofu is decidedly not "meaty" in its flavor profile. That would give you some of the needed umami-ness that is expected of sausage.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137907 on: September 14, 2018, 12:05:19 am »

Chicken is meat, so its a burger. Vegan is not meat, so its not really a burger.
WTF. Burger is a patty between two buns. Or slices of toasted bread if you're "hood" enough. Doesn't matter what it's made from so long as you're getting the burger experience. :P Heck, you can jam a portobello mushroom in there in lieu of a patty and it's still a burger... I personally don't like the taste, but a lot of folks swear by 'em if they're cooked correctly.

@Teneb: sounds like you're generalising all veg/vegan burger on one sub-par burger you tried once.
I'm not sure what you mean by not tasting "like burger", though. You mean it didn't taste like meat? Some meat-free burgers burger products actually go all-out to emulate the meaty taste and texture (to the point where it can be somewhat disturbing to eat), whilst others are just after the burger experience, as described above, which is best served with a patty-shaped object.

Sausage?  Just make it yourself, if you are going for meatless.
Seriously, the spices are available in the spice aisle.
That's true, sausage is definitely the easiest meat product to emulate, considering they're mostly sawdust meal and spices, haha. I'm not sure how Quorn could have gone so wrong with theirs, I've not tried their sausages. There are a lot of brands here that to a better job, like Sanitarium/Veggie Delights, but I don't know what's available where Greatorder is.

Tofu is rather meaty once you fry it, at least the brand I buy. Tastes more-or-less like chicken, and if you really wanted that effect you could slice it in strips. I've had it that way in a stir-fry before and it was pretty much spot-on.

Quorn beef mince in a chilli con carne is practically the same.
I've been wanting to learn to make vegan chilli for a long time. Do you have a recipe?

I think I had a WTF, but I've forgotten it after all that. I'm also kinda hungry, which is probably a good thing since it's lunchtime and I need to get my arse in gear.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137908 on: September 14, 2018, 12:17:59 am »

garlic powder
onion powder
black pepper
white pepper
red pepper
For a second I thought you snuck "black powder" in there.
Thanks for the advice!  I'm not good with spices, but I do put sage in stuff sometimes to make it remind me of breakfast sausages.  I need to get some more garlic powder actually.  Not a fan of black pepper though, and I don't know about white pepper.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #137909 on: September 14, 2018, 12:30:36 am »

Cannot sleep tonight.

Last night was hard too.  The sads.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 9192 9193 [9194] 9195 9196 ... 10974