Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9193 9194 [9195] 9196 9197 ... 10979

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13134748 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #137910 on: September 14, 2018, 12:33:18 am »

garlic powder
onion powder
black pepper
white pepper
red pepper
For a second I thought you snuck "black powder" in there.
Thanks for the advice!  I'm not good with spices, but I do put sage in stuff sometimes to make it remind me of breakfast sausages.  I need to get some more garlic powder actually.  Not a fan of black pepper though, and I don't know about white pepper.

Definitely try onion flakes or onion powder though, that can add some flavor without being really "spicy".

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137911 on: September 14, 2018, 02:04:25 am »

garlic powder
onion powder
black pepper
white pepper
red pepper
Thanks for the advice!  I'm not good with spices, but I do put sage in stuff sometimes to make it remind me of breakfast sausages.  I need to get some more garlic powder actually.  Not a fan of black pepper though, and I don't know about white pepper.

White pepper comes from the same plant as black pepper, but is processed differently.

While black pepper is the "entire" dried pepper corn that has been ground up (technically, it's a drupe, and it contains the dried fleshy part of the drupe, which is the black part in the powder), while white pepper is made with a fermentation process that removes the exocarp (fleshy outer part), and leaves just the seed inside.  It is then powdered.

white pepper is not as.. "intense" as black pepper, and is less visible as an ingredient.  It is useful in white gravies/sauces that you dont want to see black specks floating in. Similar for processed white meats, like chicken or pork-- where you dont want to see the pepper, but want some of pepper's flavor/kick.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 02:16:04 am by wierd »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137912 on: September 14, 2018, 03:05:08 am »

I actually have a veg chilli recipe that I use for taco/burrito filling, but it's by necessity fairly thick so I don't know what a chilli purist would think of it.

As for tofu, tofu just tastes like whatever you season/marinate it with. Very versatile, not massively flavorful on its own.

Growing up, our go-to meatless dogs (can't really call a hot dog a sausage) used to be Smart Dogs, but they've apparently been bought up by a larger company and have gone full crazy. Never used to care much for tofurkey, but they've supposedly stepped up their game somewhat.

We were never really big on meat-a-likes though, since we really didn't care about getting an "authentic" beef/chicken/pork flavor, so we'd usually just go for something that tasted like itself rather than something trying to taste like something else. As such, I've had some actually pretty good black bean burgers that just went full out on being the bestest beans they could be.

Also, fuck white pepper. I do not grind pepper to be inoffensive, I grind pepper to be pepper.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137913 on: September 14, 2018, 03:09:40 am »

I find that anything made with chickpeas will ultimately taste like chickpeas. Better to just roll with it.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137914 on: September 14, 2018, 03:43:10 am »

garlic powder
onion powder
black pepper
white pepper
red pepper
A pinch of black powder makes it explode with flavour.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137915 on: September 14, 2018, 03:49:46 am »

garlic powder
onion powder
black pepper
white pepper
red pepper
A pinch of black powder makes it explode with flavour.

Naw, too high in nitrates. The only thing it will make explosive is your cardiologist when he sees how low your blood pressure is. ;P (well, aside from your flatulence, from all the added sulfur.)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137916 on: September 14, 2018, 03:51:46 am »

We don't go in for hotdogs as much in England, but my friends and I can't tell the difference between normal and vegetarian hotdogs. Which, come to think of it, taste like almost nothing else. Even German/Austrian bratwurst sausage barely comes close.
One wheel short of a wagon

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #137917 on: September 14, 2018, 03:52:38 am »

I mean, you get plenty of sulfur from McDonalds anyways, what with them summoning hellmeat these days.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137918 on: September 14, 2018, 03:59:00 am »

I mean, you get plenty of sulfur from McDonalds anyways, what with them summoning hellmeat these days.

Gotta keep costs low SOMEHOW-- With those workers now demanding actually livable wages, you gotta cut some other corner to keep those 1$ menu items the trailer trash seem to believe are basic human rights.

(as an aside... Has anyone figured out a way to make DF demons be able to be butchered? It would be hilarious to see a fully functioning dwarven settlement living not on kitten or puppy biscuits, but demon ones instead.)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #137919 on: September 14, 2018, 04:05:00 am »

I don't think DF demons are even made out of meat.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137920 on: September 14, 2018, 04:11:32 am »

Some are butcherable, some aren't meat-based. It's been done industrially, I think in Silentthunders or Archcrystal or son other fort.
One wheel short of a wagon

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #137921 on: September 14, 2018, 04:32:32 am »

Archcrystal and son: we will screw you over.

Also, I've always wondered whether there are healthy alternatives to meat which give you the required nutrients.

I find myself ethically opposed to the meat trade.

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137922 on: September 14, 2018, 04:49:04 am »

Well, I mean... yeah. Most meat really isn't that good for you. Unless you have a specific medical condition such as Crohn's that makes the digestion of nonheme protein problematic, you really don't need anywhere near as much concentrated protein as meat provides, and everything else barring omega-3 fatty acids from fish can be either easily matched or far exceeded by non-meat sources.

Meat (especially industrialized meat product) tends to additionally have a few things you specifically don't want to consume a lot of, and that can lead to health problems if you eat it too regularly.

It's a fine calorie/nutrient bomb to help restore the body after a period of malnutrition or starvation, but from a nutrition perspective there's generally no need for meat in the standard diet at all.

We just eat it because it's tasty. It's definitely not necessary (again, barring certain medical conditions).

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #137923 on: September 14, 2018, 05:10:40 am »

Yea, but are meat alternatives healthy?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137924 on: September 14, 2018, 05:16:35 am »

Meat really doesn't actually have all that much protein when you compare it to beans etcetera.
The one thing that people like to say is near-impossible to get on a vegan diet is B12, but the only reason meat and eggs contain it is because it is artificially added to livestock feed. Apparently B12 is much harder to get due to modern farming practices or some shit. *shrug*

A lot of mock-meats have added B12, but as long as you make sure to eat at least something that includes it (I go with nutritional yeast and salt-reduced Vegemite, personally) you shouldn't really need to worry about supplements or any such nonsense. :)

Fakeedit: most of them are! A glance at the nutritional info on the packaging should tell you quickly enough in any case.
The only "meat alternative" I have at the moment is a couple boxes of Fry's sausage rolls, which obviously aren't terribly healthfood-oriented, but even they have plenty of protein and carbs without being overly fatty. More importantly, they taste pretty great.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 9193 9194 [9195] 9196 9197 ... 10979