Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9308 9309 [9310] 9311 9312 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13003974 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #139635 on: November 05, 2018, 08:07:44 am »

Re: Language difficulties

I learned basic English words when I was 4 or so.

The Chaos
I take it you already know
Of tough and bough and cough and dough?
Others may stumble, but not you,
On hiccough, thorough, lough and through?
Well done! And now you wish, perhaps,
To learn of less familiar traps?
Beware of heard, a dreadful word
That looks like beard and sounds like bird,
And dead: it's said like bed, not bead—
For goodness sake don't call it deed!
Watch out for meat and great and threat
(They rhyme with suite and straight and debt).
A moth is not a moth in mother,
Nor both in bother, broth in brother,
And here is not a match for there
Nor dear and fear for bear and pear,
And then there's dose and rose and lose —
Just look them up - and goose and choose,
And cork and work and card and ward,
And font and front and word and sword,
And do and go and thwart and cart —
Come, come, I've hardly made a start!
A dreadful language? Man alive!
I'd mastered it when I was five!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #139636 on: November 05, 2018, 08:48:48 am »

I honestly think that native English speakers overrate the % of the population that will be able to understand them in a non-english speaking nation (because seriously, I think the "english as second language" stats are including people who are not fluent to any meaningful degree). I mean you'll do OK in hotels and tourist resorts but that's for all languages. And gestures and common words will go a long way anywhere you go, too . But if you expect to go to a random place in Rome, Madrid, or Paris and have people understand you, best case  scenario is that you'll be disappointed.
As for language, while everyone learns English in school, not everyone retains any competency in it.
Yeah, pretty much this.

By the way, a corollary for this is that no matter what your first language is, you should not assume the locals *don't* understand anything you're saying either. You never know when you'll stumble with that one guy who has a Romanian girlfriend, or used to spend summers with a family in Denmark, or something like that.

This. Even as an American, I always start in English, then horribly butcher the language that is the local norm.

I once told a Frenchman "You're welcome" instead of "thank you", and I speak basic conversational French. The shame reverberates eternally.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #139637 on: November 05, 2018, 08:53:04 am »

Also, don't expect the locals to understand their local language, either. If you speak English like a gentleman of Victorian literature, chances are even a native speaker won't understand every word you say.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139638 on: November 05, 2018, 08:56:47 am »

Most polite phrase ever:

"I don't speak [local language], I'm terribly sorry. Is it possible I can speak to someone who speaks [my language]?"

I had a couple Mexican guys come into the store awhile back and with a bit of pantomime, drawing, and my exceptionally limited Spanish, I directed them to the items they sought. It was actually quite fun.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139639 on: November 05, 2018, 08:58:40 am »

Also, don't expect the locals to understand their local language, either. If you speak English like a gentleman of Victorian literature, chances are even a native speaker won't understand every word you say.

I do, and they don't.  I'm the most fluent person I know, and I often come up against this internal language barrier.

Most polite phrase ever:

"I don't speak [local language], I'm terribly sorry. Is it possible I can speak to someone who speaks [my language]?"

I had a couple Mexican guys come into the store awhile back and with a bit of pantomime, drawing, and my exceptionally limited Spanish, I directed them to the items they sought. It was actually quite fun.

"Nie mowie po polsku, ale ucie sie"  though there are bibly bits I've not added because I'm using an english-standard set and can't be bothered to change language.  It means (in theory) I don't speak Polish, but I'm learning.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 09:01:27 am by Rowanas »
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #139640 on: November 05, 2018, 09:02:33 am »

I do, and they don't.  I'm the most fluent person I know, and I often come up against this internal language barrier.
Sometimes, it's not even a matter of language. I've found that as I got better at historiography, I had more and more problems talking with random people outside the environment of the university. I actually forgot how to use "small words".
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139641 on: November 05, 2018, 09:10:39 am »

I know a greeting in Spanish, a term of endearment in French, a curse in German, and a brand of vodka in Polish. I figure I'm good to go.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139642 on: November 05, 2018, 09:12:39 am »

Oh oh! I can say several disgusting curses, in assorted languages.
He's fucking with us.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139643 on: November 05, 2018, 09:31:08 am »

Sometimes, it's not even a matter of language. I've found that as I got better at historiography, I had more and more problems talking with random people outside the environment of the university. I actually forgot how to use "small words".

That's what I was talknig about.  If I even use "expound", I'm likely to get blank stares or confusion.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #139644 on: November 05, 2018, 09:32:51 am »

I... emm... know Latin and some Old English.

That's... emmm... useful?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139645 on: November 05, 2018, 09:42:01 am »

I... emm... know Latin and some Old English.

That's... emmm... useful?

Knowing a spot of Latin is, yes.  I can decode a great deal because of my grounding in Latin.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #139646 on: November 05, 2018, 09:50:04 am »

Actually, Old English is helpful sometimes with German.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #139647 on: November 05, 2018, 10:07:49 am »

Nearly all my understanding of the latin languages is crossreferencing the few things I know about Spanish, French, and Latin-derivates in Swedish and English
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #139648 on: November 05, 2018, 10:33:59 am »

That said, medical professionals are also considerably more likely to be proficient in English, due to most of the literature and many important seminars being in English.

*snort*
Hacking it together plus minus google translate is not the same as being fluent

Also: the problem is not other medical professionals as it is with what the patients actually say.

As trivia: Germany and Scandinavian countries are rather generous as far as language requirements are concerned. They require a B2 (contrast with the C level required in Spain, France and UK) and more often than not they offer you a crash course as part of the recruitment package. I still think it's risky to do a clinical interview  with less than a C because I know that even with a C level (and I'm unusually fluent) you can have issues at times, when speaking a foreign language.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 10:45:28 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139649 on: November 05, 2018, 11:16:20 am »

*reads the previous page*

Whew, people didn't take my sads from the sad thread and start talking about them here.
Pages: 1 ... 9308 9309 [9310] 9311 9312 ... 10974