Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9309 9310 [9311] 9312 9313 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13196333 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #139650 on: November 05, 2018, 11:35:26 am »

Oh oh! I can say several disgusting curses, in assorted languages.
Hans is now the classic multilingual New Yorker.

Speaking of New Yorkers, I have a wtf for you people. I was walking down the street on Thursday, around 45th and 3rd Avenue in New York (so just near Grand Central), when I overheard a large number of people singing Country Road. An investigation revealed it to be coming from a second-floor Bavarian-style Beer Hall. My surprise was immeasurable.

And on a related note: my professor went to an E-Sports tournament at Madison Square Garden. Can someone explain to me when precisely Vidya gamez went mainstream?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139651 on: November 05, 2018, 11:36:30 am »

Speaking of New Yorkers, I have a wtf for you people. I was walking down the street on Thursday, around 45th and 3rd Avenue in New York (so just near Grand Central), when I overheard a large number of people singing Country Road. An investigation revealed it to be coming from a second-floor Bavarian-style Beer Hall. My surprise was immeasurable.

And on a related note: my professor went to an E-Sports tournament at Madison Square Garden. Can someone explain to me when precisely Vidya gamez went mainstream?

A couple of years ago?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #139652 on: November 05, 2018, 11:42:52 am »

A couple of years ago?
Somewhere around the ascension of Minecraft and League of Legends.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139653 on: November 05, 2018, 11:45:44 am »

To be honest, Farmville and Candy Crush (social media + smart phones in general) probably did more to expand mass acceptance of video games than Minecraft and LoL

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139654 on: November 05, 2018, 11:51:18 am »

Really depends on what you mean by "mainstream". Like, it's been mainstream in Korea for ages, but in the US it's had a lingering label of being an "undercurrent" up to and including now.

Like, it's everywhere, E-sports are kicking into high gear with major international tournaments and richly sponsored teams, but it's still a "subculture".

As for more people playing mobile games, yeah, that came around with smartphones being capable of playing more colorful games than Snake. But mobile/Facebook gamers don't necessarily overlap much with console/PC gamers. So I guess it also depends on how you define "video games".

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #139655 on: November 05, 2018, 11:52:49 am »

I'm an unusually well read hinterlands hick actually. And I'm nowhere near multilingual sadly. Just enough French and Spanish to really embarrass myself, and a smattering of basic words and phrases in German, Russian, and Mandarin. Mostly foul stuff like cyka blyka and dummkopf.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #139656 on: November 05, 2018, 12:13:29 pm »

So, why do people hate the fourth Indiana Jones movie? It wasn't that bad.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #139657 on: November 05, 2018, 12:14:23 pm »

Really depends on what you mean by "mainstream". Like, it's been mainstream in Korea for ages, but in the US it's had a lingering label of being an "undercurrent" up to and including now.

Like, it's everywhere, E-sports are kicking into high gear with major international tournaments and richly sponsored teams, but it's still a "subculture".

As for more people playing mobile games, yeah, that came around with smartphones being capable of playing more colorful games than Snake. But mobile/Facebook gamers don't necessarily overlap much with console/PC gamers. So I guess it also depends on how you define "video games".
I mean people singing Fallout 76 and my university professor watching an esports tournament level "mainstream".
ear multilingual sadly. Just enough French and Spanish to really embarrass myself, and a smattering of basic words and phrases in German, Russian, and Mandarin. Mostly foul stuff like cyka blyka and dummkopf.
That's the joke Hans. It's a NYC joke that you're multi-lingual as long as you can curse people out in multiple languages.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #139658 on: November 05, 2018, 12:27:13 pm »

cyka blyka

I almost exploded into laughter upon seeing this: mostly because I pronounced it as "Su-kah blue-kah".
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139659 on: November 05, 2018, 12:47:24 pm »

I mean people singing Fallout 76

I don't think I can fully express the level of stare-glare I am giving the screen right now.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #139660 on: November 05, 2018, 12:49:06 pm »

I alstoo
Love, scriver~

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139661 on: November 05, 2018, 12:50:11 pm »

cyka blyka

I almost exploded into laughter upon seeing this: mostly because I pronounced it as "Su-kah blue-kah".

I think it's actually 'see-kuh blee-kuh'.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #139662 on: November 05, 2018, 12:52:28 pm »

Сука is actually pronounced as "Su-kah" by Russian phonetic rules.

Source: I'm 75% Russian.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139663 on: November 05, 2018, 01:03:52 pm »

Which makes you more Russian than Cyka Blyka, so your phonetics may not apply here.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139664 on: November 05, 2018, 01:04:42 pm »

... So it IS sukah bluekah?

Which makes you more Russian than Cyka Blyka, so your phonetics may not apply here.

I know more traditional Russian curses if that one isn't good enough :p
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 9309 9310 [9311] 9312 9313 ... 10984