Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9310 9311 [9312] 9313 9314 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13196304 times)

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #139665 on: November 05, 2018, 01:11:14 pm »

... So it IS sukah bluekah?

I know more traditional Russian curses if that one isn't good enough :p
I guess so, though "блюка" isn't really a word that you can find in dictionaries.

Also, I've just remembered a joke I've read somewhere on Runet a while ago. It goes something like that:
An American professor had a visit to Soviet Union and was quite impressed: "The people in SU are very educated: Every wall has a graffiti of X, Y, and some other symbol of advanced math." - He commented.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139666 on: November 05, 2018, 01:26:23 pm »

Fallout 76

Come on guys, studio Ghibli used it first. Feckin' mainstream losers.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139667 on: November 05, 2018, 03:44:06 pm »

Re: Languages. I dunno if it's because I'm a native English speaker or an Etymology nerd but I find having the worlds most bastard language is pretty amazing for Europe travel.

3am speel:
I've been learning (very, very basic) Indian and Chinese languages like Punjabi and Cantonese and as soon as someone speaks Hindi or Mandarin I have no clue what the heck they've just said. Native speakers say they can generally fossick out the meanings of someone's sentences if they're speaking a different regional language, but I'd originally thought the only western equivalent was the Scandinavians, and as an EFL I was doomed to a life of opulent simplicity.
Until basically the first time I had someone slowly and clearly speak German at me. It's definitely got a whole crapton of different words, but boy did we steal quite a few of the basics- especially the simple nouns.
"Wo Ist De Shadenhaus"? Never been easier.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 03:45:53 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139668 on: November 05, 2018, 03:59:43 pm »

Talking about languages, I'm a native portuguese speaker, so boooooooooooooy was it hard for me to learn english. But now I've come to a pretty tough challenge. I've learned a language that came from the Latim, then I learned a language that derived from germanic languages, and now I want to learn an asian language (Japanese). That makes it incredibly difficult, even though people have been telling me that Japanese is relatively easy. After all I learned one of the most difficult languages in the world (Portuguese) due to the RIDICULOUS amount of rules and exceptions to those rules and rules to the exceptions and everything. Overall, I'm fucked...
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139669 on: November 05, 2018, 04:06:07 pm »

The Indian languages in particular are pretty incredible... 22 official languages (the money looks pretty incredible, listing each one), hundreds if not thousands of unofficial regional languages, and they're their own mostly-isolated family.

And a significant percentage of the population speaks English as well. Or, well... I should say Indian-English, because that's also very much its own thing.

I never got around to learning any real Telugu when I was in Hyderabad... Nowadays I just know a couple assorted words thanks to the fact that my GF's ex-stepdad is from New Delhi... Conversationals like achha and thik hai, but most importantly panchod.

Speaking of Portuguese and language rules and exceptions, I'd just like to remind everyone that Portuguese Irregular Verbs is a book series and is highly entertaining, particularly when read by the author on audiobook. No, it actually has very little to do with Portuguese.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139670 on: November 05, 2018, 04:38:21 pm »

Talking about languages, overall, I'm fucked...
I can't make any assertions about Brasiliambique and the languages of, but I know transactional/conversational Japanese, and to be honest if that's all you need then the language does end up being terrifyingly easy. The verbs always go at the end, the nouns always go at the start, and grammar is just kind of tossed in.

Watashi(me)-ga(action) Toiri(bathroom)-wa(acted on) Ikkimasu(go)-ka(?)

Looks like 'Me walk bathroom?'
Actually means... well, "Me Walk Bathroom?"

If you're unconcerned about being beautifully fluent you can learn some top ten phrases and just tack on words from there.

Edit: Obligatory post-comment props to Kagus for giving me the single only tack-pun I've actually laughed at.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 05:04:01 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139671 on: November 05, 2018, 04:43:49 pm »

tack on words
Planning a new educational series for learning languages, are we?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #139672 on: November 05, 2018, 05:35:21 pm »

More Alexiad woes.

The text is talking about what I need for my research, currently at the point where Robert de Hauteville dies. But instead of saying what happened next with the norman army... the author goes into a huge tangent about a mathemathician who totally foresaw the death of Robert by writing a letter (after his invasion started), sealing it and saying it should only be opened after the Guiscard dies.

What did the letter say? "The great enemy will come from the West and cause much confusion". I am not paraphrasing. Wow. What a great prophecy mate. So great that Anna Komnene spends pages and pages praising this dude and astrology in general instead of saying what happened next to the displaced norsemen.

And since it's a huge block of text with not formatting and she alternates between calling them "normans", "latins", "franks", and, every now and then, "lombards", it's rather bothersome to find where she stops sidetracking.

EDIT: Oh, thank you Princess. I really needed you to backtrack now that you finished your astrology tangent.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 05:38:56 pm by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139673 on: November 05, 2018, 05:47:34 pm »

Quote from: Princess Anna Komnene
And this one time, at band camp...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139674 on: November 05, 2018, 05:49:01 pm »

You'd think so, given that 80 pages before she describes him as some sort of barbaric monster. But the very next page describes her own birth, so that's not awkward at all.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139675 on: November 05, 2018, 05:53:59 pm »

You'd think so, given that 80 pages before she describes him as some sort of barbaric monster. But the very next page describes her own birth, so that's not awkward at all.
"Of course I know what it was like; I was there!"

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #139676 on: November 05, 2018, 05:55:15 pm »

Man, now I want to make another Guiscard ck2 run
Love, scriver~

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139677 on: November 05, 2018, 05:56:10 pm »

...Aaaand she just fucking drops the subject of Robert's war and never ever brings it up again. Lovely. Next mention of Bohemund de Hauteville, Robert's son is 70 pages later in the context of the first crusade. I guess I am almost done with the book at least.

EDIT:
Man, now I want to make another Guiscard ck2 run
For all that she tries to make the Guiscard look like the absolute bad guy... he comes out as kind of awesome instead.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 05:57:55 pm by Teneb »

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139678 on: November 05, 2018, 07:20:04 pm »

Brazil's education system is such a wonder! Here, people (I'm surely not taking me as an example) get a beautiful 10/10 in English and even more beautiful 4/10 in Portuguese!

Another wonderful thing is how we get into college/university. Instead of getting our High School grades and stuff. The system simply ignores EVERYTHING that you ever done in school, and instead, throws at you a Big test of 180 questions and an essay, to be done in 2 days. Then, how you perform in this test, is what decides if you are approved or not in a college. The only condition though, is that you either has already finished high school, or you're on the last year of it.
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #139679 on: November 05, 2018, 07:29:18 pm »

I don't think I can fully express the level of stare-glare I am giving the screen right now.
Meanwhile I'm just happy someone had the same reaction I did! I actually stopped on the street and stared. Felt like I'd lost my marbles.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 9310 9311 [9312] 9313 9314 ... 10984