Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9311 9312 [9313] 9314 9315 ... 10979

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13134078 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #139680 on: November 05, 2018, 07:49:33 pm »

Hahaha, I did not expect that song to turn out to be Take Me Home, Country Roads. Takes me back. I guess that means video games were mainstream when I was little, driving through [redacted] with my family... :P

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139681 on: November 05, 2018, 08:03:47 pm »

Je m'en fiche.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139682 on: November 05, 2018, 08:20:34 pm »

Re: Languages. I dunno if it's because I'm a native English speaker or an Etymology nerd but I find having the worlds most bastard language is pretty amazing for Europe travel.

3am speel:
I've been learning (very, very basic) Indian and Chinese languages like Punjabi and Cantonese and as soon as someone speaks Hindi or Mandarin I have no clue what the heck they've just said. Native speakers say they can generally fossick out the meanings of someone's sentences if they're speaking a different regional language, but I'd originally thought the only western equivalent was the Scandinavians, and as an EFL I was doomed to a life of opulent simplicity.
Until basically the first time I had someone slowly and clearly speak German at me. It's definitely got a whole crapton of different words, but boy did we steal quite a few of the basics- especially the simple nouns.
"Wo Ist De Shadenhaus"? Never been easier.

It's almost as if English is a Germanic language....

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #139683 on: November 05, 2018, 08:33:08 pm »

[...]now I want to learn an asian language (Japanese). That makes it incredibly difficult, even though people have been telling me that Japanese is relatively easy.[...]
Nice! I am also a native Portuguese speaker that learned English, is learning Japanese and loves Dwarf Fortress! We should totally, like, hang out or something m8.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139684 on: November 05, 2018, 08:42:29 pm »

Except it also folds into the post-latin languages, so some things like Spanish and French are surprisingly intuitive as well.
... Further east it all starts to fall apart though.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #139685 on: November 05, 2018, 09:15:24 pm »

Brazil's education system is such a wonder! Here, people (I'm surely not taking me as an example) get a beautiful 10/10 in English and even more beautiful 4/10 in Portuguese!

Another wonderful thing is how we get into college/university. Instead of getting our High School grades and stuff. The system simply ignores EVERYTHING that you ever done in school, and instead, throws at you a Big test of 180 questions and an essay, to be done in 2 days. Then, how you perform in this test, is what decides if you are approved or not in a college. The only condition though, is that you either has already finished high school, or you're on the last year of it.
To be honest, some schools can really screw you over. Either because the staff doesn't care, because of bullying, because you didn't care, or a host of other factors. Locking university education behind your time in basic education is baaaad juju.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139686 on: November 05, 2018, 09:58:22 pm »

I don't think I can fully express the level of stare-glare I am giving the screen right now.
Meanwhile I'm just happy someone had the same reaction I did! I actually stopped on the street and stared. Felt like I'd lost my marbles.

Uh, I think Kagus' reaction is for a different reason to yours. (We're assuming you mean the song from the Fallout 76 trailer).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_Me_Home,_Country_Roads

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

People singing that song have nothing to do with Fallout 76. It's just a really popular song.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 10:11:58 pm by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #139687 on: November 05, 2018, 10:04:58 pm »

Or Kingsman

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #139688 on: November 05, 2018, 10:08:48 pm »

Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139689 on: November 05, 2018, 10:37:25 pm »

Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #139690 on: November 05, 2018, 10:42:23 pm »

It’s too beautiful to spoil.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139691 on: November 06, 2018, 12:33:07 am »

Apparently the UK is at it again, arresting people for making jokes. -_-
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #139692 on: November 06, 2018, 01:06:20 am »

What kind of joke did they arrest someone for?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #139693 on: November 06, 2018, 01:24:41 am »

I don't think I can fully express the level of stare-glare I am giving the screen right now.
Meanwhile I'm just happy someone had the same reaction I did! I actually stopped on the street and stared. Felt like I'd lost my marbles.

Uh, I think Kagus' reaction is for a different reason to yours. (We're assuming you mean the song from the Fallout 76 trailer).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_Me_Home,_Country_Roads

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

People singing that song have nothing to do with Fallout 76. It's just a really popular song.

Take me home country roads is like literally the most famous song in the world. You could start singing it in public and somebody else will finish it for you in goddamn Sweden.

Except it also folds into the post-latin languages, so some things like Spanish and French are surprisingly intuitive as well.
... Further east it all starts to fall apart though.

The difference is that English borrowed from French and Latin (or was forced upon it by the French conquerors). It didn't steal anything from German. It's a Germanic language. It's another branch on the same tree.
Love, scriver~

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #139694 on: November 06, 2018, 02:52:09 am »

Apparently the UK is at it again, arresting people for making jokes. -_-

So why you are annoyed about it? Didn't you call Putin "total bro", considering there were numerous arrests in Russia for simply liking stuff on the social networks?
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.
Pages: 1 ... 9311 9312 [9313] 9314 9315 ... 10979