Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9379 9380 [9381] 9382 9383 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13148728 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #140700 on: November 30, 2018, 07:15:12 pm »

that makes 'em salty dogs
Love, scriver~

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140701 on: November 30, 2018, 08:49:10 pm »

Unless it's cold, then it's an ol' salty.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140702 on: November 30, 2018, 09:04:54 pm »

Ah, the circle of WTFs. Once more I am WTFing at the WTF thread.
Also inclusivity is dumb but there's probably not a war against Christmas... it'd be kind of nice if there was, but only if it was fought by non-generous scrooge-like misanthropes fed up with its grating jolliness and expectations of spending money, as opposed to crazed SJWs looking for a new target. :P   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #140703 on: November 30, 2018, 09:10:19 pm »

I don’t think it’s as dumb as assuming someone celebrates Christmas as opposed to any number of other types of religious holidays or general merrymaking common at this time of year.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140704 on: November 30, 2018, 09:13:10 pm »

Why can't you just wish someone a happy [YOUR HOLIDAY HERE]?
It would certainly seem more sincere than trying to dance around including everyone with some vague generalisation of jolliness.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #140705 on: November 30, 2018, 09:17:14 pm »

It would certainly seem more sincere than trying to dance around including everyone with some vague generalisation of jolliness.   

Well... happy holidays kinda suffices in that, I think :P what’s insincere about that?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140706 on: December 01, 2018, 12:37:19 am »

So.  I totally understand why things like this exist--  My generation was the last one to really spend time in actual arcades playing video games on these things-- but then the home console market killed the industry, and game quality went way up on the home offerings anyway. (not saying this was a bad thing, but it was the end of an era that many find nostalgic. I too miss old arcades.)

Now, the WTF.

I found them at walmart.  Walmart of all places.  I took a picture.

Now, I admit I was intrigued enough by the offering.  I doubt I could build one for cheaper than that price, and it includes a nice LCD display, and all that jazz.  Intrigued enough to look more closely into the offering in fact.

Turns out, you can get an aftermarket driver board for that LCD display so that you can drive it with HDMI signals, and after that, hooking it up to a raspberry pi for EmulationStation/RetroPi is academic.  So, this 300$ offer looks like a great start for making your own MAME upright.

But still.. 

AT WALMART!?

EDIT--
Other thing that has me intrigued now...

Since you can drive it from HDMI/VGA signals, it should be possible to re-wire an aftermarket controller from a game console to expose the button wires, and wire it up to a console upright like this.   There is lots of empty space inside the cabinet-- putting a game console inside should be easy-peasy.  A hacked original XBOX looks like a great fit.  For many in the current generation, old school Halo is a nice retro title. A retro title that supports local LAN multiplay with up to 4 people.   It should not be hard to fit the back of this thing with a wall panel mount style ethernet port, and run a patch cable from that to the console living inside.   The joysticks would need to be replaced with analog sticks, (these are digital clacker type) but that would not be a major thing I don't think.   

If I were to make a startup similar to a Dave & Busters, it would be something to consider.  Legit old school game console inside an upright, with legit discs..  No coin slot, so free to play. (It's a dining establishment "+games", not the other way around) For 300$ a pop for the base unit hardware, and perhaps another 60$ for some replacement artwork (vinyl stickers from a print shop + clear(and)translucent white plexiglass panels, and an internal CFL), and some second hand game consoles and game discs, and as far as I know, it would be legit.

The things odd things at walmart make me think of.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 12:50:53 am by wierd »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140707 on: December 01, 2018, 02:03:30 am »

Do they still sell those button-up Budweiser baseball jersies?! I still regret not buying one of those when I had the chance. :'(
You should enact your plan, in any case.

My WTF: Steam signed me out again. WTF Steam, you POS. Luckily (and amazingly) I remembered my password. Still, what a pain.   
Edit: bonus Steam-related WTF, the new game by the devs of Hatred (the controversial twin-stick mass-shooting simulator) is featured prominently in the Steam news on sale. I dunno if that's really all that weird, it just surprised me.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 02:05:03 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140708 on: December 01, 2018, 06:36:24 am »

Looks like Fox News is *STILL* trying to fabricate a story about Musk smoking pot on that vlog interview.

Never mind that the entire amount smoked was less than 1 inhalation, and that his statement alluded to "Is this pot? No thanks." and then turned into a mini PSA on drug use.

OBVIOUSLY musk "Has a problem!" and "NASA wants him to stop drinking and smoking pot!"

What the fuck Fox.  What the fuck.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #140709 on: December 01, 2018, 07:00:14 am »

What the fuck Fox.  What the fuck.
What the Fux.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #140710 on: December 01, 2018, 08:13:40 am »

Well, if I walk up to a random person and wish them a merry Saturnalia, they'll either be very confused (most likely) or be outraged because how dare I not celebrate the "birth" of their Lord and Saviour Jesus.
(birth is in quotation marks because it's unlikely it was actually at 25th of December)
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #140711 on: December 01, 2018, 09:07:47 am »

Well, if I walk up to a random person and wish them a merry Saturnalia, they'll either be very confused (most likely) or be outraged because how dare I not celebrate the "birth" of their Lord and Saviour Jesus.
(birth is in quotation marks because it's unlikely it was actually at 25th of December)

My conservative friend at work knows I'm an atheist and sorta heckles me by saying have a blessed day and stuff, which I don't mind. I've started saying assorted things back like, "May the Grace of our lord Lucifer be with you!" "The Allfather gazes on you favorably!" "The Emperor Protects!"
Anyone else I say thanks and you too if they give me that sorta sentiment because it's a nice thing they're saying. It's the thought that counts, not their adherence to a religion or anything.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #140712 on: December 01, 2018, 09:14:28 am »

My conservative friend at work knows I'm an atheist and sorta heckles me by saying have a blessed day and stuff, which I don't mind. I've started saying assorted things back like, "May the Grace of our lord Lucifer be with you!" "The Allfather gazes on you favorably!" "The Emperor Protects!"
Anyone else I say thanks and you too if they give me that sorta sentiment because it's a nice thing they're saying. It's the thought that counts, not their adherence to a religion or anything.
Usually I'd agree with you. Unfortunately, the region I live in is having a spike in neopentecostal zealotry (and to lesser extent catholic zealotry too) who will actually attack people over it. So it's not only rather opressive that I need to hide my religion in order to not be assaulted, but I cannot even complain that the majority groups are doing the same thing they'd get offended if I did because they'd screech about "christophobia" (I am not making this shit up).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140713 on: December 01, 2018, 09:20:21 am »

Usually I'd agree with you. Unfortunately, the region I live in is having a spike in neopentecostal zealotry (and to lesser extent catholic zealotry too) who will actually attack people over it. So it's not only rather opressive that I need to hide my religion in order to not be assaulted, but I cannot even complain that the majority groups are doing the same thing they'd get offended if I did because they'd screech about "christophobia" (I am not making this shit up).

What does "Neopentecostal" entail? I'm not too lazy to look it up, I did look it up, I just don't believe the Wikipedia page.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #140714 on: December 01, 2018, 09:27:40 am »

"Comrade! You must seize the means of reproduction!"

I love this place
Pages: 1 ... 9379 9380 [9381] 9382 9383 ... 10980