Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9413 9414 [9415] 9416 9417 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13169578 times)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #141210 on: December 19, 2018, 02:58:49 pm »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/dec/18/uk-couple-who-named-baby-after-hitler-jailed-for-terror-group-membership
You know, beyond the weird element of calling their son Adolf Hitler, I can't help but focus on their surnames AKA Thomas and Patatas. If the child gets a Portuguese citizenship and they follow Iberian naming customs, the lucky child's surnames would be "Thomas Patatas"... which in Spain it's the kind of surname combination that would get you mocked all through your childhood and beyond

Tomato Potato and their son Adolf Hitler. Can't make that stuff up, wow

Also, the Anarchist Cookbook is banned in the UK? That's very bizzare

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141211 on: December 19, 2018, 03:01:07 pm »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/dec/18/uk-couple-who-named-baby-after-hitler-jailed-for-terror-group-membership
You know, beyond the weird element of calling their son Adolf Hitler, I can't help but focus on their surnames AKA Thomas and Patatas. If the child gets a Portuguese citizenship and they follow Iberian naming customs, the lucky child's surnames would be "Thomas Patatas"... which in Spain it's the kind of surname combination that would get you mocked all through your childhood and beyond

Tomato Potato and their son Adolf Hitler. Can't make that stuff up, wow

Also, the Anarchist Cookbook is banned in the UK? That's very bizzare
Probably one of the reasons they get so many 1984 jokes.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141212 on: December 19, 2018, 03:20:49 pm »

WTF:  I'm playing Stellaris as the Lok, and just realized how similar that is to the Lok'Narr allies in X-Piratez I've also been playing.

Also, listening to Terranigma's Magic Shop Theme and trying to remember what actually *happened* in that game when I played it over a decade ago.  I basically guided the the planet through each "age" of existence, from the survival of primordial life to a human technocracy, at the behest of a weird bat-oni.  Wielding a spear, because Jesus parallels yo.  But there were so many characters, and I really don't remember what happened at the end.  I know it all started in a quaint village, on the in-side of the hollow planet...

Like, there's this melancholy paladin Fyda, and it's so weird how seriously she takes everything when a couple minutes ago (from your perspective) you triggered this entire age of mankind into existence...  It's kinda inspiring.  Kinda alienating.  Like a Timelord, I guess, or a limited god.

I remember some guy inventing the camera, then maybe a descendant inventing the airplane? Also, using psychic powers to cheat at Russian Roulette.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141213 on: December 19, 2018, 03:33:08 pm »

WTF:  I'm playing Stellaris as the Lok, and just realized how similar that is to the Lok'Narr allies in X-Piratez I've also been playing.

Also, listening to Terranigma's Magic Shop Theme and trying to remember what actually *happened* in that game when I played it over a decade ago.  I basically guided the the planet through each "age" of existence, from the survival of primordial life to a human technocracy, at the behest of a weird bat-oni.  Wielding a spear, because Jesus parallels yo.  But there were so many characters, and I really don't remember what happened at the end.  I know it all started in a quaint village, on the in-side of the hollow planet...

Like, there's this melancholy paladin Fyda, and it's so weird how seriously she takes everything when a couple minutes ago (from your perspective) you triggered this entire age of mankind into existence...  It's kinda inspiring.  Kinda alienating.  Like a Timelord, I guess, or a limited god.

I remember some guy inventing the camera, then maybe a descendant inventing the airplane? Also, using psychic powers to cheat at Russian Roulette.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #141214 on: December 19, 2018, 04:20:25 pm »

I though Iberiacs got both their parents first names, not their surnames

Does this mean that my dream of a José-Maria marrying a Maria-José and having a child called José-Maria José-Maria Maria-José Patatas isn't possible?
Love, scriver~

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #141215 on: December 19, 2018, 04:41:50 pm »

I though Iberiacs got both their parents first names, not their surnames

Does this mean that my dream of a José-Maria marrying a Maria-José and having a child called José-Maria José-Maria Maria-José Patatas isn't possible?
It isn't because hyphenating is rare. There are some people with José or Maria as surnames though.  That said: you only pass down your father's last name.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #141216 on: December 19, 2018, 05:15:34 pm »

Well the hyphenating is irrelevant, it was just me misremembering the spelling of the names "josé maria" and "maria josé"

What matters is the naming convention [child's first name] -> [father's first name] -> [mother's first name] -> [surname] which would lead to the potential name José Maria José Maria Maria José Maria
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #141217 on: December 19, 2018, 05:38:26 pm »

Well the hyphenating is irrelevant, it was just me misremembering the spelling of the names "josé maria" and "maria josé"

What matters is the naming convention [child's first name] -> [father's first name] -> [mother's first name] -> [surname] which would lead to the potential name José Maria José Maria Maria José Maria
No, it´s the surnames.

Normally Name - Father´s surname - Mother´s surname. 
In Spain nowadays the order is agreed by the parents, and if there is no agreement, lots are drawn.

Speaking for myself I started dropping my second surname when I started to work in Ireland because it led to confusion (as people assumed my first surname was a middle name, when it would actually be my "main" surname). Of course, it hasn´t caught either because nobody can pronounce it so they stick with my first name.

Having two surnames lends itself to funny combinations by default. Given that you meet more people than you would expect with said funny combinations I half suspect that a significant number of relationships start with puns concerning their potential offspring´s surnames. If they combine it with a carefully selected name they earn extra cruelty points.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 05:41:22 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141218 on: December 19, 2018, 05:42:24 pm »

Found this interesting opinion on a game company releasing a new full-feature title with some reused assets.

It's not an asset flip if you own and created [the game the assets were taken from] yourself.

It would be idiotic for them to not use their own assets when they make a new game.

I mean... Uh... Hmm.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #141219 on: December 19, 2018, 05:57:10 pm »

It's not asset flipping if you are flipping your own assets, duh

What do you want them to do, pay their artists twice ?

About that, it's not a recent WTF, but WTF nonetheless ; I once saw an artist presenting a portfolio to a group I was a part of. There was traced art in it. I mean did she really believed that in the best case scenario, people wouldn't notice that her actual work was miles under her portfolio ? Well, turned out that members of the group knew the artist her work was traced from.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 06:03:42 pm by Cathar »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141220 on: December 19, 2018, 06:09:28 pm »

For some reason Firefox seems to be incapable of running online emulators, I have no idea WHY this occurs, but it just can't load the roms correctly

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141221 on: December 19, 2018, 06:39:36 pm »

No, it´s the surnames.

Normally Name - Father´s surname - Mother´s surname. 
In Spain nowadays the order is agreed by the parents, and if there is no agreement, lots are drawn.
In Lusophone tradition it's <First Name> + <Optional But Common Second Name> + <Mother's Last Name> + <Father's Last Name>.

Father's last name gets passed down.

EDIT: I should note that a few couples are doing the reverse. Also, of course, people who don't know one of their parents (usually the father) get only a single surname.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 06:42:46 pm by Teneb »
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141222 on: December 19, 2018, 09:32:16 pm »

I was looking through the 5e PHB's trinket tables for, uh, inspiration when I found something I'd never noticed before:

Quote from: #47, emphasis added
A metal can that has no opening but sounds as if it is filled with liquid, sand, spiders, or broken class(your choice)

My WTF is that a metal can full of spiders produces such a distinctive sound. I'd think it'd sound about the same as a metal can full of ants, scorpions or demons.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141223 on: December 19, 2018, 09:36:54 pm »

I was looking through the 5e PHB's trinket tables for, uh, inspiration when I found something I'd never noticed before:
Yeah, some of that stuff is pretty kinky (;
Quote from: #47, emphasis added
A metal can that has no opening but sounds as if it is filled with liquid, sand, spiders, or broken class(your choice)

My WTF is that a metal can full of spiders produces such a distinctive sound. I'd think it'd sound about the same as a metal can full of ants, scorpions or demons.
not this though
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141224 on: December 19, 2018, 09:41:34 pm »

Did more tests on my PC. Swapped for another CPU... it's not the CPU. Tested my HDDs again. Not that. Checked power draw, all ok. Reformated the HDDs anyway. Checked RAM again. Long story short: it's probably the Motherboard. And it's only 8 months old. Fucking hell.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 09:45:08 pm by Teneb »
Pages: 1 ... 9413 9414 [9415] 9416 9417 ... 10983