Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9446 9447 [9448] 9449 9450 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13187684 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #141705 on: January 12, 2019, 08:00:31 am »

So India is the real life adeptus mechanicus?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141706 on: January 12, 2019, 08:03:10 am »

Early font of knowledge, current relic of stagnation?
Yikes.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141707 on: January 12, 2019, 08:17:09 am »

Anyways, Indian scientists discover incredible facts about the universe, in the most literal sense of "incredible".

To be honest, most of those comments were from college administrators of regional colleges in India, and not "scientists". Also, it's unfair to generalize from a few unqualified nutjobs in academia at one conference to an entire nation's science establishment. The USA has tons of Christian Science people equally idiotic as those Indians and also academics like this:

* http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~cperlich/home/Article/Science.html

Barbara Ehrenreich and Janet McIntosh witnessed a woman psychologist speaking at an interdisciplinary conference. Various members of the audience attacked her use of the oppressive, sexist, imperialist, and capitalist scientific method. The psychologist tried to defend science by pointing to its great discoveries, for example DNA. The retort came back "You believe in DNA?"

"American scientists reject DNA"
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 08:46:18 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #141708 on: January 12, 2019, 08:45:05 am »

Anyways, Indian scientists discover incredible facts about the universe, in the most literal sense of "incredible".
Watch out, they'll cut off your water supply by turning some taps on the moon.

To think they think so highly of Native American achievements

To be honest, most of those comments were from college administrators of regional colleges in India, and not "scientists". Also, it's unfair to generalize from a few unqualified nutjobs in academia at one conference to an entire nation's science establishment. The USA has tons of Christian Science people equally idiotic as those Indians and also academics like this:

* http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~cperlich/home/Article/Science.html

Barbara Ehrenreich and Janet McIntosh witnessed a woman psychologist speaking at an interdisciplinary conference. Various members of the audience attacked her use of the oppressive, sexist, imperialist, and capitalist scientific method. The psychologist tried to defend science by pointing to its great discoveries, for example DNA. The retort came back "You believe in DNA?"

"American scientists reject DNA"

More appropriate would be pointing to similar batshit theories from the 18th, 19th, and early 20th century Europe and America, as they served the same nationalism fuel purpose. I half remember some Swede infamous (these days) for such batshit ideas like how Sweden is the source of all civilization and lots of geat/goth stuff, but I can't remember his name. Aryan supremacy theory also comes to mind.

EU Han Solo was killed by Native Americans and Chewie was Bigfoot. It was only a matter of time (at least until The EmpireDisney acquired everything) before a ship containing R2D2 also arrived.

What. The. Fuck.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141709 on: January 12, 2019, 08:50:09 am »

Also, with a country of 1.3 billion people, it's kinda unfair and racist that if some nutjob in a university says something then that's automatically "Indian scientists say ..." Norway is only 5 million people, if one Norwegian academic said something controversial would it be fair to say "Norwegian scientists say ..."? If not, then how is it fair to generalize from one person's beliefs to an entire subcontinent of 1.3 billion individuals?
Tell it to the BBC, who titled the article as such (and then went on to immediately use the term "Indian scientists" to refute the same claims they just attributed to said "Indian scientists").

And while it's fun to sweep it all under the rug as racist generalizations, there really are some glaring issues with parts of the Indian educational system and it doesn't help anyone to pretend that they don't exist. I only got to get a look into elementary level while I was living there and helping the neighborhood kids out with their schoolwork, but judging from what others said about their college/university experiences, it sounded like there was some of the same theme going on there.

There are a great number of exceptional minds coming out of India, but at times it seems they rise to prominence in spite of the standard Indian educational system (not to mention cultural traditions of looking at such things), not as products of it.

Can't complain about the medical education though, only medical professionals I spoke with there seemed quite competent. Not that I know enough about it to really tell, but at least I wasn't prescribed anything ayurvedic.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141710 on: January 12, 2019, 09:16:37 am »

So Indian Scientist is a memetic mutation of Florida Man?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141711 on: January 12, 2019, 10:24:44 am »

EU Han Solo was killed by Native Americans and Chewie was Bigfoot. It was only a matter of time (at least until The EmpireDisney acquired everything) before a ship containing R2D2 also arrived.

What. The. Fuck.
That was never canon. It was part of a series of silly "what-if" comics. This particular story featured a cameo by Indiana Jones. You can read it here.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141712 on: January 12, 2019, 10:47:35 am »

That comic makes no sense either! Chewbacca belongs in a museum!
Love, scriver~

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141713 on: January 12, 2019, 10:53:00 am »

Do you want to try and put an old, angry Wookiee in a museum?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141714 on: January 12, 2019, 11:27:39 am »

It's that or the Nazis will get him!
Love, scriver~

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141715 on: January 12, 2019, 11:31:04 am »

If the Nazis managed to invade the Northwestern United States, America would have much bigger problems than trying to find Bigfoot :P

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #141716 on: January 12, 2019, 11:38:41 am »

I misread "If the Nazis" as "If we Nazis".

Something you want to tell us, Sirus? Surely it's a coincidence that your name, minus 'iru', spells 'SS'?!?!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141717 on: January 12, 2019, 11:50:17 am »

I misread "If the Nazis" as "If we Nazis".

Something you want to tell us, Sirus? Surely it's a coincidence that your name, minus 'iru', spells 'SS'?!?!

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141718 on: January 12, 2019, 11:58:30 am »

If the Nazis managed to invade the Northwestern United States, America would have much bigger problems than trying to find Bigfoot :P

Being half a world apart sure didn't stop them from invading south America in the crystal skull!

No but seriously Jones just giving up going after Chewbacca like that makes no sense and the writer cheapness of it upsets me. Like, you just a found a fucking space ship with a dead space human in it, Junior. Show some fucking flame for godsake.
Love, scriver~

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141719 on: January 12, 2019, 03:08:05 pm »

So, make this "Strange personal revelation" more than WTF.

I'm pretty sure I might have actually cultivated a psychological addiction to Jitsu (or possibly general martial arts, not tried any others so I'm stumped). I'm suffering from a few symptoms associated with psychological withdrawal, and they're predominantly focused on Jitsu.

I suppose that of all things to get a mental addiction to, a martial art is one of the best things.

Or perhaps it's a weird way my exam nerves are coming out.

Sounds like that might be an endorphin addiction, and because Jitsu was the only way you got that endorphin high when you became addicted, your body only associated Jitsu with pleasure and not any other exercise.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 ... 9446 9447 [9448] 9449 9450 ... 10983