Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9456 9457 [9458] 9459 9460 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13201051 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #141855 on: January 19, 2019, 05:36:06 pm »

As per usual, posting here because it's the closest thing I have.

So, I think what's happening to me mentally is actually a hybrid of several causes. I think I might have some mild SAD, I definitely have a caffeine dependency, and I might have an exercise addiction that my brain, being the Pavlovian mess it is, associates with Jitsu.

On top of that, I'm pretty sure I have a generally addictive personality.

Also, mood swings. Mood swings out of the wazoo. It's like I'm having a second puberty.

Or you just really enjoy the Jitsu, and want to continue doing Jitsu :P
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #141856 on: January 19, 2019, 05:49:45 pm »

Ju jit ju ju ji ju.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141857 on: January 20, 2019, 03:57:46 am »

I saw my cute neighbor topless.
I made a soup.
I like soup.
Do you like soup?
I like you. Fufufufu

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141858 on: January 20, 2019, 06:47:51 am »

Have some more unnecessary rabblerousing, courtesy of moi!

There's a delightful southern suburban single mom on my Facebook contact list who seems to love nothing more than sharing "this totally happened" stories about the amazing experiences that happen in supermarkets and on crowded buses, along with the occasional status update that is quite clearly a personal snipe against a specific individual, but she's just gonna put it out there as a general message "to whom it may concern".

This individual recently linked a wonderful and absolutely not-at-all flamebait post talking about the propagation of ableist culture and prejudice through the thoughtless appropriation and reuse of certain words. A few handy flashcards are provided as examples, with the #endthestigma hashtag prominently applied, because that's all people communicate with these days.

I was mainly just flipping past this thing because it didn't seem very interesting to me, but then I noticed a couple of the example cards. It starts off innocuously enough with "I am meticulous, not OCD", "The weather is fickle, not bipolar" (which I've never actually heard, but alright), stuff like that... But then it goes off the deep end with some zingers.

"That party was intense, not crazy. #endthestigma"

"That movie was thrilling, not insane. #endthestigma"

"That joke was corny, not lame. #endthestigma"

"That show was so dull, not dumb. #endthestigma"

...what stigma are we trying to end here, exactly? It seems less and less like you're trying to promote acceptance and tolerance of "mental health communities,invisible illness communities, as well as Neurodivergent communities (who do not understand their lived experiences as mental illnesses or disorders but rather as a natural form of human neurocognitive variation)", and more like this is just a blatant troll that would be hilarious were it not for the people actually buying into it.

Which would make sense, seeing as this whole piece was apparently written by a "Neurodiversity activist, scholar and disability justice advocate". There are some other great tidbits in the general body about how using these words is harmful and bad, including a straight-faced recommendation to use the term "handicapable".

The lady who shared this is legally blind, but I'm beginning to think she may be legally stupid as well. Y'know, to use a bigoted term.

Oh, yeah, and someone had a whoopsie and lumped "classicism" in with racism, sexism and xenophobia. Because fuck the classics.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141859 on: January 20, 2019, 10:21:13 am »

I should mention that “dull” used to refer to the mentally handicapped as well.
But anyway.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #141860 on: January 20, 2019, 10:51:41 am »

The obvious solution to this whole issue is to replace every possibly offensive word with "Aladeen" that way nobody can ever claim outrage or triggering or whatever because they can never be sure which of the fifty billion possible offensive meanings was intended.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #141861 on: January 20, 2019, 12:35:17 pm »

You are AIDS Aladeen.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #141862 on: January 20, 2019, 04:26:06 pm »

The obvious solution to this whole issue is to replace every possibly offensive word with "Aladeen" that way nobody can ever claim outrage or triggering or whatever because they can never be sure which of the fifty billion possible offensive meanings was intended.
I mean, if you're going that route just use fuck. It's already more or less the most versatile word in the English language, so using it as a replacement for all other sorts of offensive vocabulary leaves you with intelligible sentences and straightforward vulgarity. Win-win.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141863 on: January 20, 2019, 04:30:21 pm »

So apparently pointing out English issues in a paid product means I'm racist and my suggestions should be ignored. Go me.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #141864 on: January 20, 2019, 04:32:00 pm »

I mean, if you're going that route just use fuck. It's already more or less the most versatile word in the English language, so using it as a replacement for all other sorts of offensive vocabulary leaves you with intelligible sentences and straightforward vulgarity. Win-win.

You wind up with this.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #141865 on: January 20, 2019, 05:37:07 pm »

I tend to use Fuck when the situation deserves it so as to preserve the meaning, a nice feck or shit will do just fine for a less than serious situation, although Bugger can also be used as a mid tier curse, often replacing everything else in the prescence of Children. I say Jesus Christ, or Bloody Hell, or Oh God so much that I’d not notice it, and it mildly surprised me to find out that there were people in the world who found it offensive. Of course, this is all a weird internal ruleset of an underhanded Linguistic snob who comes from a place where insulting one another is used to show friendship or affection, so take this with as much salt as you feel is nescessary.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #141866 on: January 20, 2019, 05:54:58 pm »

I tend to use Fuck when the situation deserves it so as to preserve the meaning, a nice feck or shit will do just fine for a less than serious situation, although Bugger can also be used as a mid tier curse, often replacing everything else in the prescence of Children. I say Jesus Christ, or Bloody Hell, or Oh God so much that I’d not notice it, and it mildly surprised me to find out that there were people in the world who found it offensive. Of course, this is all a weird internal ruleset of an underhanded Linguistic snob who comes from a place where insulting one another is used to show friendship or affection, so take this with as much salt as you feel is nescessary.

From the amount of people who say that you'd think it's a common thing pretty much everywhere :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #141867 on: January 20, 2019, 05:57:15 pm »

Hmm.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141868 on: January 20, 2019, 06:37:26 pm »

so take this with as much salt as you feel is nescessary.

Mmm, salt. So delicious.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #141869 on: January 20, 2019, 06:39:42 pm »

Don't be so salty. It goes against the grain, sugar.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 9456 9457 [9458] 9459 9460 ... 10984