Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9464 9465 [9466] 9467 9468 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13189951 times)

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #141975 on: January 23, 2019, 06:34:57 am »

I got some libertarian friends but they don't like Putin AFAIK and they can defend themselves.

They're fine, albeit I still would disagree with them on many issues, aside from anti-authoritarianism. I've targeted only a "non-insignificant chunk", not the entire movement.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141976 on: January 23, 2019, 06:44:01 am »

I've targeted only a "non-insignificant chunk", not the entire movement.
...You might want to check your wording, then, since that's certainly not the impression that post gave.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141977 on: January 23, 2019, 06:46:37 am »

...You might want to check your wording, then, since that's certainly not the impression that post gave.

Get better at reading comprehension, my man. Just a friendly tip, really.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141978 on: January 23, 2019, 06:56:04 am »

Are you for real? Here, take another look at this snippet.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The earlier part of your post may have been directed at that "non-insignificant chunk", but such is not the case there.
Booze is Life for Yoink

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141979 on: January 23, 2019, 07:03:19 am »

Are you for real? Here, take another look at this snippet.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The earlier part of your post may have been directed at that "non-insignificant chunk", but such is not the case there.

Gee, I've forgot to input "those types of" between "Fuck" and "Libertarians/Centrist-bros", and suddenly I hate Libertarians/Centrists and wish only death and misery to them. Truly I'm a deplorable person.

Anyway, why are you so offended at my post, lmao? Are you one of those Putin-loving Libertarians by any chance? Cuz I still remember you called Putin "total bro" for regularly punching down on the Russian opposition and overall "strongman" vibe he emits.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141980 on: January 23, 2019, 07:14:33 am »

I don't even live in the states... I'm just offended by your massive generalisations.
For one thing, libertarians=/=Trump supporters. I'm sure some of them are, but then there are plenty who are more the type to take pot-shots at IRS agents and drive truckloads of fertiliser into government buildings.
I think you have a rather skewed idea of what "libertarianism" actually means.

I do admire Putin a little, mostly for being one of very few first-world leaders, possibly the only first-world leader, to have any real degree of power in this day and age.
Of course, that could just be an inaccurate perception on my part. Perhaps he's as much of a puppet as any other leader, just for a power that's unusually effective at getting what it wants. *shrug*   

Also with his judo skills and bald head he would make a p. sweet Mortal Kombat kharacter.
Booze is Life for Yoink

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141981 on: January 23, 2019, 07:38:14 am »

Plz stop with your strawmanning; I merely described a "non-insignificant chunk" of libertarians, and how they can't even follow core tenets of their own ideology's core tenets, such as Freedom of Speech and Individualism, which are the things that Putin dislikes. Oh, I didn't mention it, but the taxes are regularly rising in Russia, because the economy has gone down the shitter: Putin would be quite happy making IRS more rabid against those who don't pay taxes, if he was POTUS.

Also, I definitely know more about Libertarianism than that "non-insignificant chunk" of the people I've described; Hell, I wholeheartedly agree that authoritarianism kinda sucks, since I live in such a country.

Putin might be the only (not first-world, though, Russia is a second-world developing country) leader that has an agenda of his own, but he's only interested in destroying The Evil West, not actually advancing the country or helping Russian people by making life in Russia easier. One of the Russia's biggest problem, for example, is that the state-funded healthcare is free but atrocious, and the doctors working in such institutions receive absolutely miserable wage. Same with education sector, and while I'm not afraid of it eventually getting privatized due to the private institutions paying more money, I'm afraid of the shortage of teachers due to the miserable wage they receive.

Last but not least, the western countries' organized crime has an influence on the govs, whereas Russia has organized crime as its gov.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141982 on: January 23, 2019, 07:47:22 am »

Everyone who doesn't agree 100% with my very specific brand of left-liberal views is a nazi or closet-nazi
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 07:54:52 am by Reelya »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141983 on: January 23, 2019, 07:48:19 am »

Everyone who doesn't agree 100% with my very specific brand of left-liberal views is a nazi or closet-nazi

I agree completely assuming that we have the same very specific views.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #141984 on: January 23, 2019, 07:50:31 am »

I agree completely assuming that we have the same very specific views.

You both differ from me ever so slightly in my view of leftist nonsense, you are thus both traitors and bastards.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141985 on: January 23, 2019, 07:59:43 am »

btw it is a straw man to paint the average centrist as a libertarian. Self-described moderates are about 40% of the entire American nation, twice the total number of people who self-identify as Liberal. Painting "all liberals" as being the same is less of a straw man than painting all centrists as being the same, purely because liberals are a fringe minority group, far outnumbered by all the centrists who exist.

Centrists are not a fringe you can dismiss with caricatures of them being some sort of libertarian extremist, they're the mainstream. Liberals are not. Sure, you can turn yourselves into some minority fringe who have a superiority complex over the regular folks, but ... politically, this is suicide. As a liberal, I ask you not to add to the problem:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2018/05/22/whites-have-fled-the-democratic-party-heres-how-the-nation-got-there/?utm_term=.8a4fa6f02c68

"whites have fled the democratic party"

A white who left the Democrats is as good as a Nazi, amirite? Those racist neckbeard ex-democrats! f' em.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/24/democrats-losing-millennial-vote-change-message

"democrats losing millennial vote". Stupid millennial nazis not voting right like we tell them to.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 08:04:30 am by Reelya »

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141986 on: January 23, 2019, 08:01:43 am »

My strawman alert has been triggered so many times, it exploded and left me without an eye.

And yes, if you admire dictators like Putin while loving guns and free speech, then I don't think it's a bad thing to point out the hypocrisy.

And I've never said "all centrists/libertarians", I've said a "non-insignificant chunk", how many times do I need to say the same thing over and over?! Nor did I say that all Centrists are Libertarians.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141987 on: January 23, 2019, 08:05:29 am »

Libertarians can't be more than say 5% of the entire nation. 40% of people self-identify as moderates/centrists. You still are dismissing the whole group by your wording and assumptions.

I'd argue that a much larger chunk of the 20% of the nation who call themselves liberals could be considered to be on the radical fringe of liberalism compared to the number of centrists/moderates who are Libetarian radicals. Say, that 10% of people identify as "feminist", then that would be about half of all Liberals who are "hardcore" vs only 5/40 centrists who are some form of Libertarian.

face it: centrists are the average folk, not some weirdo libertarians, by far. Liberals are supposed to be about the average folks, so why are you guys outright dismissing the political views of 80% of the nation? Isn't that a bit smug and ivory-tower?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 08:13:56 am by Reelya »

CABL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141988 on: January 23, 2019, 08:14:57 am »

If I didn't write "Centrist-bros", would you still defend the honor of that very specific chunk of Libertarians? Also, isn't Libertarianism a Centrist ideology, anyway?

Besides, care to explain me why would a Libertarian admire people like Putin? Considering that he's against free speech, guns, weed, and a lot of other things your average Libertarian adores and would defend with foam at the mouth?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141989 on: January 23, 2019, 08:22:03 am »

I'm not defending the honor of any "very specific chunk of Libertarians"

You weren't limiting yourself to the "specific" libertarians at all. By saying they were a "not insignificant chunk" of centrists, you are in fact making the exact case that it's valid to generalize to the entire group, which is you know, not a "very specific" chunk of the nation, but is probably the single biggest group when you split things on a liberal/moderate/conservative basis (based on self-identification in surveys).

What i said can be paraphrased as "don't tar half the nation with the 'libertarian' label". That's not "defending the honor" of libertarians, and I can't see how you could possible twist my words to mean that.

That language and wording is in fact trying to label the whole group with whatever douchey things hardcore libertarians do. It's no more valid than picking out a Liberal strawman and saying that "douche college sjws are a not insignificant chunk of the liberals".
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 08:29:12 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 9464 9465 [9466] 9467 9468 ... 10984