Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9466 9467 [9468] 9469 9470 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13188078 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #142005 on: January 23, 2019, 02:00:57 pm »

Came into work an hour ago and only just realized I still have my septum jewelry flipped out. jfc why didn't anyone say anything
I mean... I guess it's a plus sign no one thought it worth mentioning? Apparently folks around you are mostly okay with it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #142006 on: January 23, 2019, 04:14:09 pm »

My wtf for tpday is that people talk about Hillory not winning, when she actually did get the popular vote, but an unaccountable second vote is held of people who aren’t required to vote the way they say they’ll vote that went for Trump.
Ignoring all politics just for a second, that is bullshit.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142007 on: January 23, 2019, 04:16:43 pm »

Now, see, I can feel it's bullshit that Trump won; while also feeling that the electoral college has a point it's trying to solve.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142008 on: January 23, 2019, 04:26:20 pm »

It's been a terrible and happy day. We got ourselves a new President but he's is only by name and law, the guns and power remain in the cartel that run over us. And in fact the fact Trump is rumored to have accepted this new president as or president, along with lots of other countries in south america give us a lot of hope.

Since there's lots of unrest on the streets I haven't been able to reach the doctor to consult on my pain, she's probably on the street or somewhere without cell coverga. Myself spent all morning without it, but was probably because like half a million people were also there. We marched to the cathedral in a gathering for support of our new president.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 04:28:30 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142010 on: January 23, 2019, 05:52:09 pm »

Trump is rumored to have accepted this new president as or president, along with lots of other countries in south america give us a lot of hope.
Was there a chance he would have been seen as illegitimate by the world stage or some such?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142011 on: January 23, 2019, 06:24:52 pm »

-snip-
And in fact the fact Trump is rumored to have accepted this new president as or president, along with lots of other countries in south america give us a lot of hope.
-snip

BTW Baal, in case you aren't getting up to date news, yes, Trump has officially recognized Guaido.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/23/politics/trump-juan-guaido-venezuela/index.html
(CNN)President Donald Trump on Wednesday announced that he is recognizing Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaido as the legitimate president of Venezuela.

"In its role as the only legitimate branch of government duly elected by the Venezuelan people, the National Assembly invoked the country's constitution to declare Nicolas Maduro illegitimate, and the office of the presidency therefore vacant. The people of Venezuela have courageously spoken out against Maduro and his regime and demanded freedom and the rule of law," Trump said in a statement recognizing Guaido as interim president of Venezuela.
Trump also urged other governments to recognize Guaido, adding that he "will continue to use the full weight of United States economic and diplomatic power to press for the restoration of Venezuelan democracy."
Trump continued by saying his administration will "continue to hold the illegitimate Maduro regime directly responsible for any threats it may pose to the safety of the Venezuelan people."
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142012 on: January 23, 2019, 07:06:00 pm »

Yeah thanks! The internet has been really bad today. I didn't went to work btw. Just went to the manifestation and then back home to fix a phone. There are already dead people in some cities however.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142013 on: January 23, 2019, 07:23:50 pm »

Yeah thanks! The internet has been really bad today. I didn't went to work btw. Just went to the manifestation and then back home to fix a phone. There are already dead people in some cities however.

Terribly sorry to hear that, please keep us posted. We are getting nonspecific updates mostly focusing on out government's official responses.

Hope you and yours are safe.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142014 on: January 23, 2019, 08:02:55 pm »

My wtf for tpday is that people talk about Hillory not winning, when she actually did get the popular vote, but an unaccountable second vote is held of people who aren’t required to vote the way they say they’ll vote that went for Trump.

Pretty sure nobody voted counter to the way they were "supposed" to in 2016. The reason why Trump lost the popular vote and won the college is that, by design, votes are more valuable in smaller/less-populated states.

Not saying that the system isn't highly flawed, it's just... not really the electors' fault. It's a largely ceremonial position for loyalists who will definitely vote for who they say they will, and in a lot of places they're not even allowed to vote counter to the way they say they will.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142015 on: January 23, 2019, 08:40:08 pm »

Having an irritating issue with my 3DS' battery. I keeps shutting down at the same time every day, about 12:15-12:20, right in the middle of my lunch break. It looks like nothing to do with the actual battery use, it keeps doing it whether I've been playing on it beforehand, or even if I keep it powered off until my lunch break. It won't come back on unless I leave it powered off for a while.

It's not too serious since I plan on getting a replacement battery soon, but still, having nothing to do for my lunch break is irritating, especially with the stress of my job.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #142016 on: January 23, 2019, 10:19:54 pm »

Basing on popular vote is bad because it because it gives all the power to major population centers. If the election was run by popular vote, Trump would have visited NYC, Los Angeles, and Chicago to steal moderate voters away from crooked Hillary. He would assume that most of rural America is going to vote for him anyway, and that those votes are insignificant in the long run. He may very well have won the presidency regardless, with a slightly different campaign message.

The point of the electoral system is (theoretically) to distribute power across all the states. States with higher population are worth a bit more votes, but not overwhelmingly. You need to serve rural states' interests in addition to the urban ones'.

Although the Electors might be able to vote for whomever, in practice they almost always vote the way they're supposed to. (We could make it automatic, but it doesn't really change much.) The real issue, IMO, is that the way they're "supposed" to vote is winner-take-all. Example: Pennsylvania is worth 20 points. Trump got 48.8% of the state, Hillary got 47.7%. Think they should each get 10 points? Too bad! Trump: 20, Hillary: 0! This misrepresents the state's approval of Trump. (Maine and Nebraska do things differently, but they're only worth 2 and 3 points, respectively.)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 10:22:47 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142017 on: January 24, 2019, 01:21:57 am »

Basing on popular vote is bad because it because it gives all the power to major population centers. If the election was run by popular vote, Trump would have visited NYC, Los Angeles, and Chicago to steal moderate voters away from crooked Hillary. He would assume that most of rural America is going to vote for him anyway, and that those votes are insignificant in the long run. He may very well have won the presidency regardless, with a slightly different campaign message.

The point of the electoral system is (theoretically) to distribute power across all the states. States with higher population are worth a bit more votes, but not overwhelmingly. You need to serve rural states' interests in addition to the urban ones'.

Although the Electors might be able to vote for whomever, in practice they almost always vote the way they're supposed to. (We could make it automatic, but it doesn't really change much.) The real issue, IMO, is that the way they're "supposed" to vote is winner-take-all. Example: Pennsylvania is worth 20 points. Trump got 48.8% of the state, Hillary got 47.7%. Think they should each get 10 points? Too bad! Trump: 20, Hillary: 0! This misrepresents the state's approval of Trump. (Maine and Nebraska do things differently, but they're only worth 2 and 3 points, respectively.)
The city thing is just not true though. It's only a small percentage of the population in major cities. People need to stop using that argument and just admit the EC is terrible.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142018 on: January 24, 2019, 01:33:43 am »

No, the EC is not terrible. And you're strawmanning there by assuming Bumber meant major cities alone instead of populous states.

The Founding Fathers wanted to make sure that the voice of the minority would not be drowned out in the voice of the majority, thus possibly leading to infringement upon the minority's rights. Hence why we have a Senate. If we didn't, the populous states could rather easily start to pass laws that harm less populous states for the populous ones' benefit -- such as the battle over manufacturing tariffs in the infancy of the country. The Electoral College is just an extension of that principle to the general elections.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142019 on: January 24, 2019, 01:35:06 am »

God I hate EC apologists, just admit it's terrible and stop making up excuses.
Pages: 1 ... 9466 9467 [9468] 9469 9470 ... 10983