Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9476 9477 [9478] 9479 9480 ... 10979

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13134740 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #142155 on: January 26, 2019, 06:17:49 am »

Tbh Tinder is kind of disgusting.

I'm skeptical about online datingmin general but Tinder seems particularily bad
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142156 on: January 26, 2019, 06:21:42 am »

Tbh Tinder is kind of disgusting.

I'm skeptical about online datingmin general but Tinder seems particularily bad

I've been trying to use it for a while, and I have to agree. If someone wanted to make a program to convince me that people are awful and disgusting, not at all worth the effort of even swiping left or right, well they did it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142157 on: January 26, 2019, 06:34:54 am »

Honestly, I don't consider it much worse than stuff like standard Match or PoF or whatever. Tinder at least approaches honesty in what its users are looking for and/or are likely to find.

Is it full of horrible women who are only there to get lots of responses in order to boost their self-esteem, and have no intentions of following through or treating their suitors as actual people? Yes, absolutely. Same as everywhere else.

Is it full of brickheaded assholes who spam zero-effort sexual advances in every semi-female account's inbox, without ever reading the profile and with no intentions of learning more about the person beyond what their genitals feel like? Yes, absolutely. Same as everywhere else.

But at least it doesn't pretend to be a place for meaningful long-term connections right off the bat. It's a place for visually-based quick hookups, which is all the other sites end up being on a good day anyways.

Is it bad? Yes. Is it worse than the rest? I don't think so.

As an aside, my current relationship? Yeah, from a "proper" dating site. And that was only after a few years of getting completely shit on.

And Tinder does occasionally result in longer-term relations as well, as my GF's currently engaged best friend can attest to.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142158 on: January 26, 2019, 06:56:51 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 11:50:22 am by dragdeler »
let

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142159 on: January 26, 2019, 07:17:47 am »

It seems unhealthy no matter if you get too little or too many matches... I don't see myself ever trying. How awkward it must be to conciliate superficial attraction with a lack of chemistry, *shudder*.

There are paid services who exist just to do the legwork for you on online dating. Basically, you pay someone else to deal with all the rejections, and they only send you the ones they successfully started flirting with.

Eventually there will be people on dates where both accounts were actually run by paid screeners or bots who flirted with each other.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142160 on: January 26, 2019, 07:24:06 am »

It seems unhealthy no matter if you get too little or too many matches... I don't see myself ever trying. How awkward it must be to conciliate superficial attraction with a lack of chemistry, *shudder*.

There are paid services who exist just to do the legwork for you on online dating. Basically, you pay someone else to deal with all the rejections, and they only send you the ones they successfully started flirting with.

Eventually there will be people on dates where both accounts were actually run by paid screeners or bots who flirted with each other.

There's a relevant webcomic strip that comes to mind, but I can't post it. Because, y'know, Oglaf.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142161 on: January 26, 2019, 07:24:58 am »

Bahahaha, if I wasn't terrible at that sort of thing to begin with I would totally do that for a living. A mercenary of love. A soldier of fortune of the bedroom. :))   

Re: Tinder; I've not used it myself, but one of my best buds is currently in a long-term, seemingly healthy relationship with his very first Tinder date. Not only that, she has actually turned out to be a pretty cool person and one that I now consider a friend, even if she doesn't like Always Sunny (worse still, when pressed she admitted that was because it is "too offensive". Like, what?!).
Crazy. Lucky bastard. ::)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142162 on: January 26, 2019, 08:37:59 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 11:50:29 am by dragdeler »
let

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142163 on: January 26, 2019, 08:53:01 am »

There was a special club on the dating site I used to use (beyond just the double-plus premium "Super" users with their hopelessness discount, where subscription costs would keep reducing the longer you were a super-user) with some sappy name or another, which was basically the company's extremely hamfisted attempt to combat the absolutely rampant ghosting going on.

The concept was, if you replied within a week to every message sent to your account, you'd qualify for the club. As a member of the club, you'd be able to see the list of other club members, so you could talk to someone who would be more or less guaranteed to actually answer you instead of just completely ignoring you.

So, even ignoring the generally pitiful nature of this thing, there was a glaring issue... Namely, the algorithm counted every message sent to you, not just conversation starters. This means that every conversation between club members would either last indefinitely (as each would reply, thus requiring a reply from the other), or would inevitably result in the termination of one of the parties from the club when they finally stopped responding to the long-dead exchange.

And of course everyone in that club was about as pathetic as you'd expect.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #142164 on: January 26, 2019, 10:23:39 am »

Me, I've given up on dating apps. These days I just go around with actual tinder and try to spark a flame that way. At least my response rate from girls have increased!
Love, scriver~

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #142165 on: January 26, 2019, 01:29:57 pm »

Apparently my brother found his now-fiance on tinder. I have been unmatched by every woman ive matched with, which is one in what seems like 500 swipes. Its an excercise in futility if you dont pay for gold membership and actually get direct access to the people that like you.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #142166 on: January 26, 2019, 01:32:15 pm »

I just had a sturdy chair break under me.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142167 on: January 26, 2019, 01:56:15 pm »

Step one to online dating: be attractive.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #142168 on: January 26, 2019, 01:59:52 pm »

That’s generally step one in dating in general, just IRL people aren’t limited to only knowing what you look like.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142169 on: January 26, 2019, 02:00:25 pm »

Step two: don’t be unattractive.

Tinder exists to show everyone how high our respective bars are.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 9476 9477 [9478] 9479 9480 ... 10979