Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9480 9481 [9482] 9483 9484 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13183781 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #142215 on: January 27, 2019, 10:25:21 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 11:50:01 am by dragdeler »
let

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #142216 on: January 27, 2019, 02:26:58 pm »

In other news, anyone else heard about the AI that whomped a couple StarCraft 2 pros?
Beating TLO in his off-race is not that impressive, especially when you compare it to AlphaStar vs Maru on his main race. I'd love to see AlphaStar vs TLO ZvsZ, oh man that'd be so spicy

I discovered the whole mess that is ag-gag laws.

What's so fucking confusing (and infuriating) is that the support for it pretty much came down to "Yeah, they might expose the farmers and slaughterhouses that do unethical and illegal things like using sick cows for meat or debeaking birds without anaesthetising them first". HOW THE FUCK IS THAT JUSTIFICATION!? It'd be like making it illegal to film murders because it might expose murderers for murdering people.
In the UK it is no crime until it becomes a threat to public order, hence the whole deal with policing twitter but not the streets

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #142217 on: January 27, 2019, 02:39:49 pm »

It was Mana that managed to beat it, and he did cheese it a bit, not in the traditional sense of cheese but he kinda noticed a loophole in the AI and fiddled it a bit to give himself time to get a working counter to the unholy fuckload of Stalkers the bot seemed to be in love with.

What seemed to be the most common way it won is amassing stalkers and perfectly microing the blinks, slowly overwhelming the human player.

Still, leagues better than what we had as AI in RTS games to date, I just wonder how scary it would've looked if they uncapped the bots APM.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142218 on: January 27, 2019, 04:19:18 pm »

Dystopia is such a blanket term though. I’d say it comes down to expectation. A shit country can just be shit. But if it’s trying to pretend to be a utopia then you’ve set it up.

But the issue is every country operates on their own press. So it’s now almost an expectation to say your country is amazing and perfect because to say otherwise is setting you up for a failure. In terms of definition dystopia, it’s less digging your own grave and more building a rickety stepladder in a rickety stepladder race.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142219 on: January 27, 2019, 04:30:11 pm »

What seemed to be the most common way it won is amassing stalkers and perfectly microing the blinks, slowly overwhelming the human player.
That or massing 18 disruptors. Or the swarms of stalkers without blink. But yeah, definitely a major roboboner for stalkers... "This is pretty standard high-level play".

But yeah, I think the last match with MaNa came down to the AI exploit with the warp prism, and the fact that it wasn't allowed to do two things at opposite ends of the map at the same time anymore, and had been confined to a single screen's area for doing actions.

Honestly though, I'm just amazed that it managed to figure out how to wall off ramps. And I also thought it was pretty hilarious that MaNa actually started overproducing probes after the first five matches...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142220 on: January 27, 2019, 04:32:26 pm »

Went to the bank today.  Went in the drive thru.  There is a atm in the drive thru.  I guess that's not that unusual, and I very rarely have to physically visit the bank.  But what made me WTF is that the atm in the drive through has the little braille dots on all the numbers.

Now I'm all for accessibility, but I would think a blind person not being able to read the numbers on a drive through atm keypad would be less concerning than the blind person driving the car.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142221 on: January 27, 2019, 04:35:25 pm »

That's probably just a standardised ATM interface, not something they installed especially for the drive-through ATMs because the blind drivers were complaining.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #142222 on: January 27, 2019, 04:55:42 pm »

It is far, far, far cheaper to have one "this is the ATM front" part per design. Taking braille off the drive-through ATMs would cost a fortune, for no benefit whatsoever.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #142223 on: January 27, 2019, 04:58:42 pm »

In space year 2019, I had to go outside in the middle of the night to convince my mom that the bright light in the trees was actually the moon, not an angel or alien spacecraft. ::)
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142224 on: January 27, 2019, 05:00:00 pm »

How do you confuse the MOON with anything else, it's the MOON, it looks pretty distinctive

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142225 on: January 27, 2019, 05:04:49 pm »

How do you confuse the MOON with anything else, it's the MOON, it looks pretty distinctive
I dunno, sometimes Muslims take over and replace the moon with one o' them weird sickle-thingies.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #142226 on: January 27, 2019, 05:09:21 pm »

It did look pretty strange seen through the trees, and the wind moving the tree branches made it look like the light itself was moving. But it was still pretty obviously the moon.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #142227 on: January 27, 2019, 05:22:25 pm »

Honestly though, I'm just amazed that it managed to figure out how to wall off ramps. And I also thought it was pretty hilarious that MaNa actually started overproducing probes after the first five matches...
It's one of those hilarious things where team liquid started figuring that if this AI overproduced after 200 years of practice, it was worth looking into. Although it was not the most efficient economy, AlphaStar's economy never slowed when it took on economic damage from adepts or oracles, because the inflated probe count still kept it above 100% efficiency. Amazing that the pros started experimenting with this lmao

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142228 on: January 27, 2019, 10:37:30 pm »

I dunno, sometimes Muslims take over and replace the moon with one o' them weird sickle-thingies.

That's no moon
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142229 on: January 27, 2019, 11:49:58 pm »

It did look pretty strange seen through the trees, and the wind moving the tree branches made it look like the light itself was moving. But it was still pretty obviously the moon.

The thing is, if these spacecraft are getting to Earth undetected it makes little sense that they are gigantic balls of light. Because, you know, gigantic balls of light are pretty noticeable if they fly around a lot.

Or, do the aliens always turn on huge spotlights only after they land? :/
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 11:51:51 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 9480 9481 [9482] 9483 9484 ... 10983