Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9486 9487 [9488] 9489 9490 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13195639 times)

red_squirrel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #142305 on: January 30, 2019, 03:37:22 am »

Well, I've had a bad dream. I woke up and felt like there were tonnes of monsters, and ghosts and other mysterious creatures. So I was scared and trembled. What is strange - I could not remember my dream at all, I just felt like something awful had happened.
Does smb have the same feelings sometimes?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142306 on: January 30, 2019, 03:41:38 am »

Yup. Waking up groggy and tired, with a single clear thought in your mind: "You have hurt everyone you know".

Gee thanks, brain.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #142307 on: January 30, 2019, 04:32:24 am »

I mostly do it with sad dreams, wake up feeling super sad
Love, scriver~

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142308 on: January 30, 2019, 04:39:47 am »

All my dreams I have a distinct feeling that I've been working the entire time I was asleep or grinding in whatever videogame I've been playing too much of lately.   I think dream me likes tedium.

Does make the unusual dreams stand out and easy to remember though.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142309 on: January 30, 2019, 05:47:08 am »

I just rescued a very lost-looking cockroach from the toilet.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #142310 on: January 30, 2019, 07:50:34 am »

Checked my Steam, and almost my entire library was marked as "Update required", including some games that haven't been updated in years. Forcing the queued updates to start proved most of them to be 0k. I have no idea why steam did that, but it seems harmless.
Same here. I've started getting occasional 0k updates other than that mass one, too. Never noticed it happening before I got the new computer, but it's not like I can go back and check. The old one's still there but it's vista and steam is supposed to straight up not work on that anymore.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142311 on: January 30, 2019, 08:36:52 am »

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2019/jan/16/from-a-gillette-ad-to-high-art-why-i-yelled-at-a-theatre-audience

Basically, they condensed down all the most sexist possible stories from the internet into one character in a one-man play, and it seems that virtually all women in the audience were like "no such man exists!" and this feminist is calling all the other women delusional and feeling sorry for them because they've apparently been fooled by their evil misogynistic husbands, whom she assures us are exactly like the character depicted in the play.

I was flabbergasted by the insistence from the audience of middle-class women that the content was shocking; that there was anything surprising about middle-class men nursing an inner misogyny
“Surely, there are not men like this,” more than one audience member remonstrated in the face of data so hard that within 100 metres of where we were sitting statistics would have found a man just like that. Something that I pointed out, quite loudly.
The whole experience made me reflect on the phenomenon of self-delusion that afflicts communities grappling with the reality of misogyny: who the misogynists are, where the misogyny happens.
the aftermath of Daughter exposed to me a passive – maybe even unconscious – strategy some women employ to survive the moneyed male misogyny closest to them. It’s denial.

As the play coolly reveals, it’s the women in closest proximity to these misogynists who are – of course – at the most physical risk should the men indulge their status with a whim to abuse. If partners, lovers, daughters and employees don’t manage to suppress, deny and disavow the existence of the predator in the room, they’d face the risks of confronting just how much dangerous the unequal dynamics truly place them in.

a passive – maybe even unconscious – strategy some women employ to survive the moneyed male misogyny closest to them ... indulge their status with a whim to abuse

^ these bits succinctly outline her viewpoint. All "middle-class" (cis/straight/white is probably assumed here too) men are automatically sociopaths, who's "whim to abuse" is barely restrained. Their wives just can't see it, because they've apparently self-brainwashed.

Screaming over other women that you know their lives better than they do, kinda sounds IDK, misogynistic. If most British middle-class women can't recognize the men in their lives in a psychotic caricature of sexism it's probably because they're married to perfectly ordinary British middle-class men, who aren't in fact anything like the monster depicted in the play. But this writer isn't having any of that. All other women are "delusional". Wonder no more why only 7% of British women identify with the "feminist" label, when they get this much respect from feminist writers. This is exactly what happens when you have an ideology which fundamentally contradicts reality - you end up with internal contradictions ... such as in this case a "feminist" writing an article all about how she screamed at a room full of women that they just don't get it.

It's sad, because right before reading this one, I read a different writer's feminist article on the Guardian which was reasonable and well-written. Then I read this shit, attacking other women for not being good feminist man-hating drones.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 09:22:29 am by Reelya »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #142312 on: January 30, 2019, 09:29:42 am »

Adam Lazarus in his one-man show Daughter, in which he catalogues the horrible things he’s done to women over the course of his life.

Writer and sole performer Adam Lazarus is a brilliant actor, which is perhaps why audiences and some reviewers have confused his performance with reality.

This is probably just a slip of the pen, but it's kinda funny anyway.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142313 on: January 30, 2019, 09:34:44 am »

He's apparently really horrible to his 6-year old daughter in the play. Average male behavior, apparently. All men hate and fear their female spawn.

Severedicks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142314 on: January 30, 2019, 09:49:34 am »

So someone wrote something on the internet that's a bit over the top (I chuckled to myself when she mentioned adultery and drug taking as symptoms of misogyny). The question is why do you let it get to you and write hundreds of words about it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142315 on: January 30, 2019, 10:14:10 am »

"Something on the internet" is a misleading way to write it.

It's not someone's blog post, it's published in a major newspaper, which means it has authority attributed to it. The same as if say, FOX News had a podcast that you could watch. That's not just the views of "someone on the internet" it's endorsed by the news network behind it, so you can definitely hold FOX accountable for the views contained. I don't think the medium is at all relevant. If it was a lone blog post it would get no attention, but this has the backing of a major international news source behind it, and that's validated by the fact that I saw it, despite not looking for a story like that. Critiquing the article is by extension critiquing the media outlet that endorsed the views contained within, and broadcast them in my direction, causing me to be exposed to the story. I mainly critiqued it because it was interesting to do so - I wouldn't waste words on a non-interesting normal story, or if she'd been a lone blogger who wasn't handed an international pulpit to preach from.

Internet, TV, print, radio. It seems like a trite point to merely say that criticism is automatically invalid if the publication format was "internet".
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 10:36:00 am by Reelya »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142316 on: January 30, 2019, 10:26:35 am »

data so hard
Hnnf, so hard. Aw yeah baby.

Anyways, at first I was hoping this was just some "guest writer" nonsense or whatever, but apparently she's a fairly established part of their team. Welp.

"Two weeks in feminist time equals a whole year for everyone else". That's... Well, alrighty then.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142317 on: January 30, 2019, 10:29:46 am »

OK Cupid

Oh they datamine the heck out of you, but only what you willingly give them. Some of it is fantastic.

This is one of the few cases I like it. It's all publicly accessible anyway. They just crunch the numbers because they have them.

Severedicks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142318 on: January 30, 2019, 10:32:21 am »

The same as if say, FOX News had a podcast that you could watch.

Yes, and? I don't care much about what Fox News has to say, nor do I care about what Trump has to tweet. I don't understand how people are still getting fits whenever the US president posts something stupid on Twitter when it's been consistent behavior ever since he opened his account. If you find the article distasteful and misleading, why don't you just move on and read things you like and/or trust? Not everything has to align with one's views, not everything's perfect. Don't ruin your own day.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142319 on: January 30, 2019, 10:34:53 am »

Don't ruin your own day.
I'll try, Severedicks.
Pages: 1 ... 9486 9487 [9488] 9489 9490 ... 10984