Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9487 9488 [9489] 9490 9491 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13001511 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #142320 on: January 30, 2019, 10:37:56 am »

The same as if say, FOX News had a podcast that you could watch.

Yes, and? I don't care much about what Fox News has to say, nor do I care about what Trump has to tweet. I don't understand how people are still getting fits whenever the US president posts something stupid on Twitter when it's been consistent behavior ever since he opened his account. If you find the article distasteful and misleading, why don't you just move on and read things you like and/or trust? Not everything has to align with one's views, not everything's perfect. Don't ruin your own day.

Hmm, you're devoting quite a bit of energy and words to criticizing something someone wrote on the internet there, yourself. Maybe follow your own advice and just have left it alone to start with. It was only one post.

Severedicks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142321 on: January 30, 2019, 10:39:40 am »

I was not criticizing you, just trying to show interest in you and your concern, as it were. Enjoy the rest of your day.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 10:41:22 am by Severedicks »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142322 on: January 30, 2019, 10:43:52 am »

Ok, cya, BTW me and Kagus are going to keep talking about the topic. Don't mind us ;)

data so hard
Hnnf, so hard. Aw yeah baby.

Anyways, at first I was hoping this was just some "guest writer" nonsense or whatever, but apparently she's a fairly established part of their team. Welp.

"Two weeks in feminist time equals a whole year for everyone else". That's... Well, alrighty then.

To be fair, there are other writers I like more there. This one is one I read shortly before being subjected to the other story. It's a thoughtful counter-point to radfems like Clementine "kill all men" Ford. Part of why I reacted with the level of distaste to the other story was that this one was informative and well reasoned:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/23/its-a-false-comfort-to-say-the-and-of-women-is-caused-by-sexism

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142323 on: January 30, 2019, 11:02:29 am »

i liked the gillette ad
Black lives matter.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #142324 on: January 30, 2019, 11:05:48 am »

"Two weeks in feminist time equals a whole year for everyone else". That's... Well, alrighty then.

Where was this from?
Love, scriver~

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142325 on: January 30, 2019, 11:14:45 am »

Where was this from?

A feminist traveling at 0.999265 c, apparently.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142326 on: January 30, 2019, 11:24:32 am »

Where was this from?
Clicking on the author's name, you can see a list of their previous articles. That was the headline of one from... December, I think? It's not far down on the list.

To be fair, there are other writers I like more there.
Yeah, it's odd, I kinda viewed the Guardian as being generally decent. This chick's a zinger though.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/23/its-a-false-comfort-to-say-the-and-of-women-is-caused-by-sexism
Accidentally misread her name as "Gay Unicorn"...

Hell, I haven't even watched the Gillette ad. I don't really care that much about it. ...although, I haven't shaved in years, so I'm probably biased.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #142327 on: January 30, 2019, 12:01:30 pm »

This is the same guardian that said Thomas the Tank engine and Paw Patrol were fascist

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142328 on: January 30, 2019, 12:13:47 pm »

Isn't Thomas the Tank Engine literally about the evils of capitalism
Love, scriver~

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142329 on: January 30, 2019, 12:42:55 pm »

Isn't Thomas the Tank Engine literally about the evils of capitalism

I am not going to research that factoid at all. Instead, I'm going to go get a dictionary.

Quote from: The Dictionary
Fascism - a political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition

Quote from: Also The Dictionary
Capitalism - an economic system characterized by private or corporate ownership of capital goods, by investments that are determined by private decision, and by prices, production, and the distribution of goods that are determined mainly by competition in a free market

Based on that, I'm going to go out on a limb and make the claim that that factoid is irrelevant.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142330 on: January 30, 2019, 01:18:23 pm »

1. Dictionary fallacies are literally worse than Hitler

2. I also don't understand your point
Love, scriver~

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142331 on: January 30, 2019, 01:28:35 pm »

His point is that he didn't like the partially true but also partially false assumption in your post that a show criticising the excesses of capitalism would be inherently not right-wing, I think.

Reading this sort of discussion is so tiring. Perhaps we could all admit that noone in the thread is really talking about facts, but everyone's just trying to make their own hangups, attitudes, inclinations and obsessions seem like the correct and objective worldview, and make other people with different hangups look stupid, using a variety of semi-rhetorical, semi-logical techniques.

And then possibly either drop the whole thing or take it to PMs, making room for wtf-material about Yoink's adventures with household pests. Or not, a thread is defined by its use.
One wheel short of a wagon

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142332 on: January 30, 2019, 01:50:06 pm »

My point is that capitalism and fascism are not diametrically opposed on whatever axis is being measured. That a thing says "yo capitalism is bad here" does not mean that it's fascist. It means that it's anti-capitalist.

And now I'm getting /r/LateStageCapitalism vibes. The two words that were defined? They don't have "alternate" definitions unless you're a member of some conspiracy fringe group.

I'm sure there's a word for "I see that there's a fallacy that kind of looks like this if you squint, and fallacy means bad, so I'm going to ignore it."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142333 on: January 30, 2019, 01:55:56 pm »

I tried to google up on the Guardian claiming Thomas The Tank Engine is fascist, and got distracted by this ad:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Brietbart article was about a Guardian writer calling the show racist, but somehow I don't have the strength to keep researching right now
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142334 on: January 30, 2019, 02:02:21 pm »

My point is that capitalism and fascism are not diametrically opposed on whatever axis is being measured. That a thing says "yo capitalism is bad here" does not mean that it's fascist. It means that it's anti-capitalist.

What makes you think I'm saying it is?

And now I'm getting /r/LateStageCapitalism vibes. The two words that were defined? They don't have "alternate" definitions unless you're a member of some conspiracy fringe group.

I'm sure there's a word for "I see that there's a fallacy that kind of looks like this if you squint, and fallacy means bad, so I'm going to ignore it."

The dictionary fallacy is when you take a complex concept, reduce it down to one sentence definition, and then base an argument on that reductionist definition. It's a form of appeal to authority, except the authority in this case is also dumbed down.

I don't even know what r/LateStageCapitalism is. The only places on reddit I visit is r/DnD and r/rpghorrorstories.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 9487 9488 [9489] 9490 9491 ... 10974