Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9488 9489 [9490] 9491 9492 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13137409 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #142335 on: January 30, 2019, 02:07:39 pm »

I'm sure there's a word for "I see that there's a fallacy that kind of looks like this if you squint, and fallacy means bad, so I'm going to ignore it."

The metafallacy, maybe: the fallacy that fallacious reasoning indicates a necessarily false conclusion.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142336 on: January 30, 2019, 02:07:55 pm »

I think capitalism is perfectly capable of being a horrific soul-eroding amoral monstrosity on it's own, without involving Fascism at all.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #142337 on: January 30, 2019, 02:23:52 pm »

"Metro: Exodus is now an exclussive to Epic store. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move".

I can get behind the fact that people got annoyed by having to use a different platform/launcher, but I am buffled at the amount of people that seem to actively support Steam having a monopoly.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142338 on: January 30, 2019, 02:29:56 pm »

I can get behind the fact that people got annoyed by having to use a different platform/launcher, but I am buffled at the amount of people that seem to actively support Steam having a monopoly.
Convenience is the root of all evil.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142339 on: January 30, 2019, 02:30:02 pm »

Personally, I think it's a wee bit shitty that they opened up for pre-orders on Steam and then completely switched platforms at the last minute. Other than that I'm not really bothered, but I can understand not wanting to shovel personal information into another account registration just for the sake of one thing that you've been waiting intently for with the promise that you wouldn't need to shovel personal information into another account registration in order to purchase and play it.

The pre-orders are apparently still being honored by Steam though, so it's all a bit fiddly.

Quote from: The Dictionary
Fascism - a political philosophy, movement, or regime (such as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition

Quote from: Also The Dictionary
Capitalism - an economic system characterized by private or corporate ownership of capital goods, by investments that are determined by private decision, and by prices, production, and the distribution of goods that are determined mainly by competition in a free market

Based on that, I'm going to go out on a limb and make the claim that that factoid is an elephant.

Well, technically...

(underlinefication mine)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #142340 on: January 30, 2019, 02:32:40 pm »

I don’t think it’s that, it’s more to do with how ubiquitous Steam is, that for it to be exclusive to somewhere else is inconvenient, and imo a foolish decision for whoever made the game because of the ubiquity of a competing platform.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142341 on: January 30, 2019, 02:42:49 pm »

Because other platforms are less reliable than Steam, which is saying something.

Origin somehow misplaced my wife's Sims 3 copy, and support said she should just buy another one. Ubisoft's ridiculous BS outright deleted my save files for Black Flag just in time for Unity. Oops.

So no, it's Steam or nothing for me unless someone comes out with something that isn't designed to steal my stuff.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142342 on: January 30, 2019, 02:57:32 pm »

I dislike having multiple storefront programs on my HD for my games.  Especially since they all insist on running in the background trying to update games.

GoG is an exception, their games ship without anything special attached, although my debt card hates them.  I have to call the bank ahead of time, else the purchase is auto-declined.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142343 on: January 30, 2019, 02:59:22 pm »

GoG is ok, never had a problem from them.

As far as major distributors though Steam at least only screws people over according to it's own clearly-stated rules for doing so.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #142344 on: January 30, 2019, 03:05:05 pm »

One of the main problems in the Epic Store is that it has no regional currency for a lot of places. Basically they want me to pay in dollars when I don't get paid in dollars.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142345 on: January 30, 2019, 03:22:14 pm »

Fuck. Just found out I had an audible membership that I was sure I did not choose to keep after the trial period. Four months' fees down the drain and into Beezobub's pockets.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142346 on: January 30, 2019, 03:31:07 pm »

One of the main problems in the Epic Store is that it has no regional currency for a lot of places. Basically they want me to pay in dollars when I don't get paid in dollars.

funny, I live in america and I don't get paid in dollars
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #142347 on: January 30, 2019, 03:57:24 pm »

Fuck. Just found out I had an audible membership that I was sure I did not choose to keep after the trial period. Four months' fees down the drain and into Beezobub's pockets.

You should at least have credits you can spend on audiobooks. Salvage what you can from it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142348 on: January 30, 2019, 05:16:10 pm »

What do you guys think about the ties Epic has with the Chinese company Tencent? I've seen a lot of people oppose the store simply for that reason.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #142349 on: January 30, 2019, 06:19:26 pm »

Not much tbh, they're just a china-flavoured megacorp, not too different than the other megacorps that hold big swathes of the electronic landscape these days.

If anything, their hands-off approach to running shit they bought is pretty nice, they get to run your stuff in china according to chinese laws while you get to keep doing what you've been doing up to that point.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 9488 9489 [9490] 9491 9492 ... 10980