Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9496 9497 [9498] 9499 9500 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13140583 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #142455 on: February 05, 2019, 03:15:21 am »

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142456 on: February 05, 2019, 03:27:49 am »

I read a hell of a weird true story about how unreliable eye-witness testimony is.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh the irony.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142457 on: February 05, 2019, 03:41:08 am »

Is that true, or is that the same as the 'suicide shotgun window' thing?

Im a bad person
Probably. Go fix that.

Edit:

Dwarf Fortress news:
Got talking to an old friend. Mentioned that I'd played it recently, he said 'oh wow, no way, we should do a community fortress (up until now I'd had no idea that he was part of it).
Anywho I'll skip to the end, a werelizard got in, I couldn't contain the werefection, and had my fortress polished off by a werelizardchild.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 05:27:16 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142458 on: February 05, 2019, 06:11:19 am »

Is that true, or is that the same as the 'suicide shotgun window' thing?

It's also cited in The Guardian and Newsweek, which I'd already seen, but I cited the other one because it's one that cites the line about the policeman's mocking comment, which is funnier.

One source (though not of all the details I presented) is this textbook on google books titled Memory: Foundations and Applications. So, it's in multiple mainstream news sources and a number of what look like college psychology textbooks. In the textbook it gives more biographical information on Donald Thomson. It says he was at the University of Toronto doing his dissertation along with a colleague called Endel Tulving, who is easily confirmed to actually be a member of the psychology faculty at University of Toronto - which of course was easier to verify than who "donald thomson" is.

Knowing a little more about Donald Thomson's academic specialty, thanks to the book, more googling gives this:

https://www.afma.asn.au/DonThomson1.htm
Donald M Thomson
Department of Psychology
Edith Cowan University
Perth, Western Australia.
This is an article from 1995 about the false-memory scandal related to the satanic panic 1980s thing. So, right name, right profession, right sub-speciality.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 06:39:38 am by Reelya »

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142459 on: February 05, 2019, 10:39:10 am »

Tried to be nice to new lady at work....

O jesus.... 2nd day on her job and she is rocking boats. Don't tell me your last job had backstabbing, a list of compliants etc the first time I meet you, even if true.
First impressions..... Just wow. Zero tact.

Also asking what I do and preemptively saying you could do it, and you need more money..... Wow. 2nd day on the job and joking about bringing a flask to work.... at 9 am.... I was trying so hard not to not like her and be nice. Damn. I know I am shy and reserved but wow lady.

O wow, consider me turned away. I mean that's what I get for introducing you to the good coffee shop.... Stay at desk and work instead of being all talky. Lession learned.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142460 on: February 05, 2019, 10:45:38 am »

Don't tell me your last job had backstabbing

"I don't play games!"

-person who is literally setting up a chess board of games
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142461 on: February 05, 2019, 10:54:51 am »

That's what I am afraid of. Game playing.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142462 on: February 05, 2019, 11:03:26 am »

I just realized that this city has some slightly bizarre eateries. There's the eloquently named "Fruit and Vegetables", which strangely enough isn't the local vegan dive (you need to go to the "Chocolate Bar" in order to get your three square roots a day. Note: they don't actually serve alcohol). Fruit and Veg is covered in plants both inside and out, but no fruits as far as I can tell. The plants do a very good job at disguising the fact that they are open, or indeed a restaurant.

On the other side of town there's the hip new "SLAUGHTER", which specializes in... Well, meat products. The interior decorating primarily aims for a "carcass refrigerator" motif. They do serve alcohol.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142463 on: February 05, 2019, 11:11:56 am »

I just realized that this city has some slightly bizarre eateries. There's the eloquently named "Fruit and Vegetables", which strangely enough isn't the local vegan dive (you need to go to the "Chocolate Bar" in order to get your three square roots a day. Note: they don't actually serve alcohol). Fruit and Veg is covered in plants both inside and out, but no fruits as far as I can tell. The plants do a very good job at disguising the fact that they are open, or indeed a restaurant.

On the other side of town there's the hip new "SLAUGHTER", which specializes in... Well, meat products. The interior decorating primarily aims for a "carcass refrigerator" motif. They do serve alcohol.

In my town there's a Beatles Cafe. Every square inch of the walls and ceiling covered in Beatles memorabilia. Like every single piece of Beatles merch that has ever existed. A real great place if you just want to chill out, drink some overpriced lattes, listen to Beatles tunes on endless repeat, and enjoy the 50,000 different unique pictures of John Lennon and his crew canvasing the walls and ceiling.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142464 on: February 05, 2019, 11:13:37 am »

There it is

The Wash
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142465 on: February 05, 2019, 12:36:19 pm »

On the other side of town there's the hip new "SLAUGHTER", which specializes in... Well, meat products
I want to eat there.

The interior decorating primarily aims for a "carcass refrigerator" motif.
I want to not ever eat there.

They do serve alcohol.
.... hmm.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 12:38:33 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #142466 on: February 05, 2019, 01:13:28 pm »

Got a new mouse since the last one was crapping out (cable was losing connection) and for whatever reason the two extra buttons on the side (forward&backward) are mapped opposite of the last three mice I used, why I have no clue.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142467 on: February 05, 2019, 01:27:39 pm »

Slaughter specializes in aged meats. They posted a picture of a 146-day dry aged porterhouse (6cm thick), plus a bunch of pictures of them prepping a few entrecôte... bricks for butter aging.

Lemme see if I can steal a few pictures...

Spoiler: 146-day porterhouse (click to show/hide)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142468 on: February 05, 2019, 01:51:04 pm »

I sometimes fantasize about getting fired so that I can work more on my business idea.   :-X  I don't really feel I can quit though because they kind of depend on me and actual money is better than possible money.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142469 on: February 05, 2019, 01:54:40 pm »

I sometimes fantasize about getting fired so that I can work more on my business idea.   :-X  I don't really feel I can quit though because they kind of depend on me and actual money is better than possible money.
Well somebody doesn't like Bitcoin...
Pages: 1 ... 9496 9497 [9498] 9499 9500 ... 10980