Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9508 9509 [9510] 9511 9512 ... 10979

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13132700 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #142635 on: February 11, 2019, 09:13:57 am »

I’ve also seen “sand [Extremely awful racial slur directed at black people]” before, myself. I think sand people is kind of rude but certainly not as awful as some of these other terms.
Black lives matter.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142636 on: February 11, 2019, 09:22:13 am »

Uwurrrrrh urh urh intensifies

And yeah, "sand people" does get used as a dumb name for folks of the middle eastern persuasion. I think that term specifically is actually linked to the tusken raiders, but I'm not sure.

There's also the significantly dumber and slightly more common epithet "sand niggers", which is just all kinds of stupid.

"Hadji" (after the Johnny Quest character)
But... wouldn't that get confused with Hajji? As in "Someone who has completed the Hajj"?

EDIT: Partially ninja'd by SentientBowtie (nigja'd? ...christ, I'm gonna get myself banned at this rate...)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #142637 on: February 11, 2019, 09:43:24 am »

I’ve also seen “sand [Extremely awful racial slur directed at black people]” before, myself. I think sand people is kind of rude but certainly not as awful as some of these other terms.
Yeah that's the one.  Sand people is its mild synonym.  I've also heard "towel head."  I live in "the greater New York City area" and let me tell you, some middle aged men here are not over 9/11.  I imagine most of the country is either over the muslim hate, or was bigoted before the post-9/11 anti-muslim wave.  (yeah its arabs not muslims but no one using those phrases know the difference)
(also I know what you mean but sand people is not a polite term where I live)
You need to start understanding context, EH.
As I said, I am aware of the context.  Trust me that my jimmies remain thoroughly unrustled here.  I'm saying if you started loudly talking about sand people at a crowded NYC subway station some of the people around you wouldn't get the context.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142638 on: February 11, 2019, 09:44:28 am »

"Hadji" (after the Johnny Quest character)
But... wouldn't that get confused with Hajji? As in "Someone who has completed the Hajj"?

I think you might be expecting too much knowledge and reflection from the type of person who would use a cartoon character's name as an insult.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #142639 on: February 11, 2019, 10:01:38 am »

As I said, I am aware of the context.  Trust me that my jimmies remain thoroughly unrustled here.  I'm saying if you started loudly talking about sand people at a crowded NYC subway station some of the people around you wouldn't get the context.

...And? What's that got to do with anything?

Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #142640 on: February 11, 2019, 10:06:18 am »

...And? What's that got to do with anything?

Ironically, the context from which he experiences the phrase :p
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142641 on: February 11, 2019, 10:14:17 am »

EH pointed out that that term could very reasonably offend people, while recognizing that no offense was intended in this context.  "You need to start understanding context, EH." was a bizarre response to that.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #142642 on: February 11, 2019, 10:47:39 am »

No, I think bringing it up in the first place shows a remarkable lack of grasp of context and human interaction.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142643 on: February 11, 2019, 10:48:42 am »

Saw someone link an article where a presumably respected professor and researcher at the Norwegian University of Life Sciences was talking about how the latest trends toward vegetarianism/veganism are "disturbing", and that a healthy human diet specifically includes milk and red meat.

I started poking around her claims a bit, stuff like the bioavailability of heme vs. non-heme iron, dietary zinc and so on, found another unrelated article where she was apparently advocating vitamin supplements in cattle feed before slaughter so as to make the meat more nutritious for end consumers (despite also having stated that she is very much against recommending that people follow diets that require supplements, because the diet itself should cover all the necessities), got a bit sidetracked looking into the whole milk calcium bioavailability/pH-whatever debacle...

I'm just... I really hate that food is such a political topic that you need to double check everything to look for hidden motives. There are so damn many bullshit opinion pieces out there that it's a pain to find anything worth actually looking at, and then I get tired and fed up with the whole thing and go back to wallowing in blissful ignorance.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142644 on: February 11, 2019, 10:51:23 am »

Saying “hey careful about throwing X phrase around” is a perfectly acceptable thing to say IMO. Not sure where the problem comes from.

Trying to talk diet with a friend at work. She’s very... let’s say “fad-ish”.
Recently saw a YouTube video which said Soy causes lethargy, to which I replied “but a vegetarian diet can cause the same sort of thing, right?”

That was not the right thing to say. I tried to explain a bunch of things about energy density and carnivores, and the rule of 10, but yeah. Once she’s heard something she doesn’t like, she shuts down on the whole conversation.
Annoying as fuck. I was trying to say that there’s plenty of protein-dense plants, but trading out chicken for not-chicken is ultimately going to result in less energy, regardless of whether or not the non-chicken is made from soy. She thought I meant that vegetarians are all idiots.
Little miscommunications eh.

I really hate that food is such a political topic that you need to double check everything to look for hidden motives. There are so damn many bullshit opinion pieces out there that it's a pain to find anything worth actually looking at, and then I get tired and fed up with the whole thing and go back to wallowing in blissful ignorance.
Context ninja. I was literally saying the exact same thing to her after googling “is meat more energy dense” and having red meat advocacy pages popping up everywhere. I want the science of cheetahs, not the politics of humans.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 10:55:24 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142645 on: February 11, 2019, 10:55:02 am »

No, I think bringing it up in the first place shows a remarkable lack of grasp of context and human interaction.
There’s no need to be so hostile about it.
Black lives matter.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142646 on: February 11, 2019, 11:04:44 am »

I really hate that food is such a political topic that you need to double check everything to look for hidden motives. There are so damn many bullshit opinion pieces out there that it's a pain to find anything worth actually looking at, and then I get tired and fed up with the whole thing and go back to wallowing in blissful ignorance.
Context ninja. I was literally saying the exact same thing to her after googling “is meat more energy dense” and having red meat advocacy pages popping up everywhere. I want the science of cheetahs, not the politics of humans.
Right? Everything's bloated with puppet pages and hardline echo chamber articles, or just a bunch of mindless filler with extremely dubious citation and interpretation...

In a somewhat related note, I'm looking at a paper here that's talking about how much of a difference diet pH actually makes, and there's a list of dairy products sorted by Potential Renal Acid Load (PRAL). On the list is an item titled: "fresh cheese (quark)"

I'm too tired to let my brain start combining cheese with subatomic physics.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142647 on: February 11, 2019, 11:17:48 am »

Higgs Bison.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #142648 on: February 11, 2019, 11:22:31 am »

My coworker just left to go plow someones driveway. Theyre apparently paying more to have him plow than our boss is to have him do oil changes. So, apparently im expected to tell customers hes having a sick day or something.

I need to get into the snow plowing business next winter it sounds like.

And the evening shift guy called in because hes legit going to the hospital. I wonder if my supervisor is going to get stuck in the ditch beside the highway next.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 11:25:16 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142649 on: February 11, 2019, 11:30:18 am »

I work at a hospital, and we recently had a very serious bout of freezing rain in the area, and it seems like everyone in town is slipping and eating shit all the time. Almost a hundred people last night coming in after losing badly against gravity, a lot of them cracking their heads in the process.
Pages: 1 ... 9508 9509 [9510] 9511 9512 ... 10979