Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9509 9510 [9511] 9512 9513 ... 10981

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13150316 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #142650 on: February 11, 2019, 11:42:03 am »

Oh fuck thats bad. Can the city do anything about ice on the sidewalks?

Maybe if they had an atv with an ice scraper or something of the sort...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142651 on: February 11, 2019, 11:45:19 am »

Norway is also currently going through a "walk at your own peril" stage. Now that the weather has decided to do its flippy-time funhouse with 70 centimeters of snow, followed by above-freezing temperatures and rain, followed by another powdering of snow, followed by even more rain, and finished off with a nice sub-freezing night to give everything that perfect shiny surface...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142652 on: February 11, 2019, 11:46:48 am »

They can,

1) Sand.
2) Salt/brine

But both cost money, and it probably wasn't in the budget.  Also, they might being trying to have their cake and eat it too, by saying that the people who's property is adjacent to the section of sidewalk are responsible for de-icing it. (much like how mowing the right of way strip and the area directly adjacent to sidewalks is the legal responsibility of said property owners and not the city-- Despite the right of way strip technically being city property.)

The real thing though, is that people insist on going outside in "Seriously. It's freezing fucking drizzle, This shit WILL kill you. STAY INDOORS!" weather, and trying to do shit.  Thankfully my charges are not allowed to go outside in deadly weather, so we dont have this kind of problem.  Hospitals though?  I feel for you guys.  I really do.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142653 on: February 11, 2019, 12:21:33 pm »

Just walk everywhere with a steel broom and give it the shuf-shufs on your daily route.

Sure it’ll take ten times as long and break you, but on the plus side the pavement is slightly safer for the next twenty seconds.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #142654 on: February 11, 2019, 12:31:34 pm »

Thats about how it has to go, sometimes. You can wear kleets over your boots, too, just to keep your own footing. For sheets of ice i find the best thing to do is hit them with a pry bar, shattering them, and then sweep/shovel the pieces away. Or if thats too much work still, i use the blade of a metal snow shovel to smack grooves into it, which at least improves the footing a little tiny bit.

Apparently my coworker is actually bailing out everyone in town, free of charge. He really is the best guy.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #142655 on: February 11, 2019, 12:45:24 pm »

Use bråddar and be the most metal you can be any time of year

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Love, scriver~

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142656 on: February 11, 2019, 12:51:23 pm »

For the first time ever, I am not being supplied measured work at my job. This makes it impossible to meet my numbers and my supervisor knows of and this and said sorry. He also wanted me to send him an email on idle time, just to keep good records, as this is a larger workplace issue for many teporarily.

Weird email to write. I guess it is cya or whatever. Still feels weird though. How to put that one.... Either way, I am tidying up and doing necessary admin things. Odd stuff. I have repeatedly asked for more. I never take days off and there is a backlog to clear. Somebody screwed up further upstream.

It isn't time off. But weirdly unmeasured. I don't mind as long as it doesn't come back to bite me.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 12:55:11 pm by Robot Parade Leader »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142657 on: February 11, 2019, 03:13:36 pm »

It'd be nice to have a deli slicer in the kitchen to get nice clean and thin slices of meat and cheese. A lot of space to take up for a kinda niche thing, but if you like sandwiches enough it might be worth it.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142658 on: February 11, 2019, 03:23:17 pm »

An adjustable mandoline slicer is both drawer friendly and effective.  Quality ones are all-steel, with removable and sharpenable blades. Skilled use can result in paper-thin slices suitable for deli meats and cheeses.

Circular slicers for deli meats are more consistent and require less skill, but they also take up as much space as a large mixer does, or more.

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142659 on: February 11, 2019, 04:23:37 pm »

Afterwards you can play a jig to the sandwich.
How much skill do you actually need though? Just set it to the thickness and don't ho too fast that you cut yourself. Skilled is a very trying term.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #142660 on: February 11, 2019, 04:30:52 pm »

So I was about to put my headphones on, but the cord snagged and I wound up jerking them forward somehow and they smacked into my lip. Now it's bleeding a bit.

I'll readily admit I'm hardly the most athletic Bay12 user, but I didn't realize I was also made of glass. Or, well, something weaker than glass, since I doubt most windows would bleed after taking an impact like that.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142661 on: February 11, 2019, 04:31:49 pm »

Lips just be like that, yo.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #142662 on: February 11, 2019, 06:49:13 pm »

So I was about to put my headphones on, but the cord snagged and I wound up jerking them forward somehow and they smacked into my lip. Now it's bleeding a bit.

I'll readily admit I'm hardly the most athletic Bay12 user, but I didn't realize I was also made of glass. Or, well, something weaker than glass, since I doubt most windows would bleed after taking an impact like that.

But you'd kill most of us in a sword fight so...
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142663 on: February 11, 2019, 06:57:25 pm »

I'm capable of winning a sword fight. On a good day. Probably.

Call it a 60% chance that I kill you and a 60% chance that you kill me. :V
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142664 on: February 11, 2019, 07:10:12 pm »

I happen to like actual cheese, thank you.  Some nice soft muenster on some captains wafers... mmmmm...

"American cheese" is not actually cheese.  No.  Really, it's not cheese.  It's mostly vegetable oil, water, salt and food coloring.  Other than the salt, none of those should actually be found in a quality cheese. (not as an added ingredient anyway.) 

I can see how pre-slicing would ruin the flavor profiles of some of the more pungent cheeses, like aged Swiss, Parmesan, and pals. (once exposed to air, many of the compounds that comprise the flavor profile evaporate. Cheeses that have rinds would all suffer.)

Most americans do not cook these days, so I would not expect most americans to understand the subtlties of different cheeses, their textures, melting profiles, and flavor profiles-- or how to use them constructively to enhance a dish. (or realize that one does not need to add a 5lb block of cheddar to their au gratin, because after a certain point, you can't increase the cheese flavor by adding more cheese, due to cheese being a subtle and complex flavor.)
American here, can confirm that I know nothing about cheese
Pages: 1 ... 9509 9510 [9511] 9512 9513 ... 10981