Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9517 9518 [9519] 9520 9521 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13189343 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #142770 on: February 13, 2019, 06:02:02 am »

Cursory google shows me a youtuber, might be unrelated tho' and I can't say I'm up to deep diving for other possibilities.
YouTuber indeed, has been so for a rather long time, is an avatar of the god of overdrama. Used to make a living from his horrible haircut, now does conspiracy videos and minidoc interviews with folks (which is to say, ask a question and then give the camera a shocked expression). Basically just a lot of content without much... Content.

And apparently he's buddy-buddy with Jake Paul and interviewed Jake's ex about her accusations of mental and verbal abuse? There's a quote floating around where he apparently said something to the effect of "At least it wasn't physical abuse", but I'm not sure where that's sourced from (Google is being unhelpful).

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #142771 on: February 13, 2019, 06:05:21 am »

Kelvin master race.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142772 on: February 13, 2019, 06:05:34 am »

Celcius for temperature is far less bullshit than pretty much any other measure.

You can be given three facts: Water freezes at 0c and boils at boils at 100c at average sea-level air pressure.

Given only the information I just presented, you'd be capable of producing your own thermometer entirely from scratch and with no other measuring tools that gives a very good approximation of the celcius temperature. It's definitely a bit less arbitrary than whatever zero is meant to represent in Fahrenheit.

Celcius is less bullshit than just about anything else we use as a measurement unit. What the hell is a "meter" or a "kilogram" in terms of any natural thing?

Sure, it's not graded from absolute zero. But we have temperature units graded from absolute zero, and almost nobody uses them, because they're not actually very useful. ps Kelvin is in fact more bullshit than Celcius, since it really has not business being linked to the boiling and freezing points of water. Use some planck value as the basis.

Seriously though, metric can die in a hole, it is in no way better than Imperial, everyone just complains because we don't do it their way.

Metric is in no way better than Imperial apart from the fact that it provides a single, quick, conventional way to convert between common units of measurement. It's bad enough that in metric you have to use peculiar conversion factors to work with natural units, it'd be a nightmare having to also use factors to convert between ordinary units.

There's a pithy quote from a book somewhere about the number of calories needed to raise the temperature of an ounce of water by ten degrees Fahrenheit being basically impossible to calculate.

What we need is metric time. Or, move everything to a base-60 system based on planck units.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 06:14:53 am by Reelya »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142773 on: February 13, 2019, 06:14:11 am »

All forms of measurement are arbitrary bullshit tho', if we want to dive into the nitty-gritty of it.  Ultimately it's best to use what you personally like and can get a general consensus with.  So from that perspective measurements are just like opinions (including mine).

If the US had adopted the metric system for general use in the past this wouldn't even be an argument tho', at this point the unwillingness of the people and (more importantly) the businesses with stupendous amounts of money to lobby for whatever benefits them makes the discussion pretty moot.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 06:21:49 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #142774 on: February 13, 2019, 06:29:41 am »

The Imperial system is for filthy Capitalists, anyway... /s

But srsly, I can't be arsed to learn Imperial/Fahrenheit properly, so Metric/Celcius Mustard Race for me.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142775 on: February 13, 2019, 06:30:09 am »

No, the base unit is 1/40000000th the circumference of the Earth, and everything is base 10. It's a good system. As measuring with body parts... You're just messing with us, right? You do realise once you learn metric it becomes intuitive too... Right?

Imma address this right quick.  The claim aside, that is also a silly arbitrary measurement to base things off of as the estimate of that circumference is inaccurate because the Earth's diameter is in flux due to magma flows, volcanic activity, and earthquakes all the time.  And why, oh why, does your base ten system use a 40 millionth for the meter anyway? doesn't that completely defeat the concept of strict base ten?  Shouldn't it use either a ten millionth or a hundred millionth for consistency?

It's all shitposting in good humor.  Really, I find metric pretty useless at the macro scale but I can certainly agree with the merits of the system at the micro and nano scale, there is no meaningful way to scale imperial down that far so having the honestly much more fine-tuned digital setup of metric makes that kind of work possible.

You'll be pleased to know it is 1/10000000th the distance from the north pole to the equator, which was the original intent. Now it is defined relative to the speed of light allowing it to piggyback off the precision of the second. Enjoy your feet and inches, they are slightly more convenient for colloquial use.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142776 on: February 13, 2019, 06:36:16 am »

I assure you, I will enjoy them, and I will continue using them in my endless fight to drive metric users mad converting the measurements I provide using my antiquated system.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #142777 on: February 13, 2019, 06:42:28 am »

Cursory google shows me a youtuber, might be unrelated tho' and I can't say I'm up to deep diving for other possibilities.
YouTuber indeed, has been so for a rather long time, is an avatar of the god of overdrama. Used to make a living from his horrible haircut, now does conspiracy videos and minidoc interviews with folks (which is to say, ask a question and then give the camera a shocked expression). Basically just a lot of content without much... Content.

And apparently he's buddy-buddy with Jake Paul and interviewed Jake's ex about her accusations of mental and verbal abuse? There's a quote floating around where he apparently said something to the effect of "At least it wasn't physical abuse", but I'm not sure where that's sourced from (Google is being unhelpful).

I don't know who any of these people are
Love, scriver~

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142778 on: February 13, 2019, 06:45:05 am »

That's okay, they don't matter.  Just like the rest of us they are normal people screaming into the digital void to hear (or see) ourselves talk.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #142779 on: February 13, 2019, 06:46:39 am »

I only do that when I've shut the computer down and see my reflection in the screen
Love, scriver~

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142780 on: February 13, 2019, 06:48:02 am »

Ahh.  Enlightened meaningless screaming.  I am in awe of your mastery of the self.

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142781 on: February 13, 2019, 07:39:47 am »

Something like that but with more stability and a dohicky that spins. Perhaps even a windup key. I think that would work well. Yeah let's do it

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142782 on: February 13, 2019, 09:34:28 am »

Interesting tech thing: currently there are some articles saying that if you type "pictures of my female friends" into the search bar on Facebook, it gives pictures of your female friends (expected) however if you type "pictures of my male friends" it gives pictures of any and all male people on facebook, not just your friends.

The implication in the articles is that this is a sexist feature against women - i.e. they're saying it's a specific feature that allows you to snoop on female friends but not male ones. But ... a bit of common sense thinking reveals it's probably not.

Search bars aren't in fact smart enough to parse a whole sentence. So, a much more likely scenario is that the search feature was restricted from showing your pictures from random female accounts in general as an anti-harassment feature designed to restrict random accounts from accessing a woman's photos unless authorized as a friend.

The search bar probably doesn't even understand the phrase ""pictures of my female friends" at all. It's just boiling that down as "pictures ... of females" and coincidentally the filter settings limit that to only your (female) friends. However the filtering is less strict for male accounts.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 09:43:28 am by Reelya »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142783 on: February 13, 2019, 09:40:25 am »

Yeah, I just asked it to find me "something to fap to", and Facebook's search algorithm really wasn't giving a lot to work with.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142784 on: February 13, 2019, 09:47:57 am »

1 minute ago I was going to the bathroom and a mouse fell on the back of my neck, in the dark. How the f. did that happen? Freaked me the hell out but I'm glad it was a mammal and not some insectoid monstrosity.
Pages: 1 ... 9517 9518 [9519] 9520 9521 ... 10983