Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9522 9523 [9524] 9525 9526 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13194940 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #142845 on: February 15, 2019, 11:46:58 am »

I still remember "tax cuts for job creators...." Broken promises.
The Employer giveth, and the Employer taketh away... Such is the will of Holy America.

I wonder how that stock price is gonna look once/if the stink of this really starts kicking off.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #142846 on: February 15, 2019, 11:48:14 am »

8% is a big number though. Very profitable companies shouldn't be allowed to fire the employees who made them profitable, just because wall street only got a dollar per share return this quarter instead of a dollar and 25 cents per share this quarter. I like the idea of suspending or revoking the corporate charter and taxing as jndividuals. It hurts the filthy greedy stockholders and gives them something to cry about. Meanwhile these poor people shouldn't lose everything and the taxpayers shouldn't be on the hook. I still remember "tax cuts for job creators...." Broken promises.

Activision Blizzard CEO Kotick Could Be Among Highest-Paid Execs With New Pay Deal

hmmmmmmmm

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #142847 on: February 15, 2019, 12:03:02 pm »

Wasn't Kotick the CFO who got paid a sign-up bonus of 15 million? But I guess making game is too expensive and so they cannot keep those developers on payroll. After all, they only had record profits, and not ALL OF THE MONEY.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142848 on: February 15, 2019, 12:41:28 pm »

Reminder that capitalism revolves around infinite, exponential growth.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142849 on: February 15, 2019, 01:18:21 pm »

Yeah, maybe, but at some point is growth self destructive. Especially, "growth" where you are looking at cutting what got you there in the first place....

I dunno. Cutting isn't growth to me. It feels like cutting is shrinking. What do I know.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142850 on: February 15, 2019, 01:30:41 pm »

Yeah, maybe, but at some point is growth self destructive. Especially, "growth" where you are looking at cutting what got you there in the first place....

I dunno. Cutting isn't growth to me. It feels like cutting is shrinking. What do I know.

That's my point, it grows at all cost.  Ethics or basic common scene be damned.

Its about profit growth, not necessarily revenue growth.  Labor is always one of the first things to suffer when it comes to cost cutting.  And its usually the loyal, senior workers that get the boot first.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142851 on: February 15, 2019, 01:47:01 pm »

Its about profit growth, not necessarily revenue growth.  Labor is always one of the first things to suffer when it comes to cost cutting.  And its usually the loyal, senior workers that get the boot first.

Saves on retirement packages, another unnecessary expense!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142852 on: February 15, 2019, 01:49:36 pm »

Correction: short-term growth at all cost. Long-term? That's commie talk!
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142853 on: February 15, 2019, 02:16:43 pm »

So... I have a family taco/burrito recipe that's received fairly good responses from the folks who've eaten it, including my girlfriend who is very enthusiastic about the dish. I used to make it every so often, but it's 2-3 hours of work and I tend to be pretty worn out by just the shopping, so after the initial "I am going to impress this person so that they'll like me" phase of the relationship, I started doing it less.

I did however ask her one time (while I was making it) if she wanted me to tell her the recipe, so she could make it if she wanted some on the days where I wasn't feeling up to the task. She said "No". Err, alright.

Later, after having made it a few more times (and having been asked to make it for several of them), I mentioned that I'd be open to making it more often if she was willing to help out (70% of the recipe is basically just a fuckload of chopping, plus a little peeling). She whimsically chirped "No". Okay, really feeling motivated to make the thing here.

Fast forward a few years. It's been ages since the last time I made the dish, since I've been perpetually tired and overwhelmed the past couple years and I don't really feel like putting in that little extra "oomph" to pamper a person I've grown to resent (which, well, could honestly mean both my girlfriend and myself). A couple days ago, out of the blue, she mentioned that it's been a really long time since we made tacos and how much she really misses the dish and wants to have it again sometime soon.

"You should really write down the recipe too, so I can learn how to make it".

I, uh... Welp. Didn't really know how to respond to that.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142854 on: February 15, 2019, 03:04:49 pm »

Whimsicially chirp, "no." ?

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142855 on: February 15, 2019, 03:14:02 pm »

Write down a version of the recipe containing subtle errors that make it awful. Use her failure to replicate it as evidence of your superior cooking skills.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #142856 on: February 15, 2019, 03:17:04 pm »

Or just give her the recipe so you don't have to cook it :p
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142857 on: February 15, 2019, 03:35:12 pm »

Write down a version of the recipe containing subtle errors that make it awful. Use her failure to replicate it as evidence of your superior cooking skills.

Two tablespoons of bleach? Weird recipe....

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142858 on: February 15, 2019, 03:57:33 pm »

See, I just... I wanted to do this before, and approached her about it, and she seemed entirely disinterested in doing things that way. And now out of the blue it's my fault that I haven't already done this thing that she said no to. And I've got the sneaky suspicion that if I mention the fact that she's said no before, it's going to be my fault for misinterpreting something that was clearly a joke and where she meant the complete opposite of what she said. And then she'll get upset because I asked a question that could imply a negative opinion of something.

The alternative is to keep my trap shut and suffer in silence.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142859 on: February 15, 2019, 04:28:11 pm »

See, I just... I wanted to do this before, and approached her about it, and she seemed entirely disinterested in doing things that way. And now out of the blue it's my fault that I haven't already done this thing that she said no to. And I've got the sneaky suspicion that if I mention the fact that she's said no before, it's going to be my fault for misinterpreting something that was clearly a joke and where she meant the complete opposite of what she said. And then she'll get upset because I asked a question that could imply a negative opinion of something.

The alternative is to keep my trap shut and suffer in silence.
Alternative #3: End the relationship since you are clearly suffering?
Pages: 1 ... 9522 9523 [9524] 9525 9526 ... 10984