Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9526 9527 [9528] 9529 9530 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13195154 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #142905 on: February 17, 2019, 11:41:13 am »

Just read about that IBM advertisement where there is this question/statement about "use blockchain to fight poverty."

???

people will say "use blockchain to {x}", where {x} is relevant to any given special interest, to sell thing. nobody knows what the blockchain is outside of weird nerds like me, so you can apply it to anything.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 11:48:39 am by Putnam »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #142906 on: February 17, 2019, 11:42:59 am »

[insert "when you were partying I mastered the blockchain" image]
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142907 on: February 17, 2019, 11:56:12 am »

This is good for Bitcoin.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142908 on: February 17, 2019, 02:33:03 pm »

but bitcoin isn't good for bitcoin
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #142909 on: February 17, 2019, 03:43:13 pm »

it really really isn't lol

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142910 on: February 17, 2019, 03:58:23 pm »

it really really isn't lol

This is excellent for Bitcoin.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #142911 on: February 17, 2019, 04:28:51 pm »

The other day I saw some YT video pop up in my reccomendations that was one of those gaming news channels deals with the title that was something along the lines of "CDPR rejects Epics offer of making Cyberpunk an Epic store exclusive"

Didn't watch the video itself, but the whole idea of even making an offer like that seemed beyond stupid, the equivalent of offering Valve to make HL3 an Epic store exclusive.
"Hey, we know you got a big storefront yourself and are working on a massively expected title that is bound to sell like mad, how about you sell it on ours as an exclusive and we get a cut from the sales as well."

Who comes up with these things :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142912 on: February 17, 2019, 07:42:07 pm »

Some people thought Metro: Exodus doing that was beyond stupid as well, but look where we are now.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #142913 on: February 17, 2019, 07:44:21 pm »

Well, Epic has a great deal of money and a desire to force its way into a market. I guess the best way to do that is force consumers to use your platform if they want to consume specific media, as opposed to developing a rollicking good product and having that as a selling point.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #142914 on: February 17, 2019, 08:05:59 pm »

Sure, but the Metro dev/publisher doesn't own their own storefront like CDPR folk to and I'd say that's the most important distinction here. And I get what they're doing and why, while it may be a hamfisted and brutal approach to cutting into steams monopoly I don't think there's much of an alternative at this point where steam has become so bloody entreched, despite all of the shitty practices and issues that most people refuse to use anything else.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142915 on: February 17, 2019, 08:30:22 pm »

To cross-post from the sales thread:

It seems Epic is making a serious effort to become a Steam competitor.

Now if only they had something other than free games going for them. The lack of regional pricing makes it absolutely moronic to use the store outside of america, no user reviews means devs can peddle all sorts of crap, refund policy is worse, privacy policy violates EU laws, they don't even have cloud saves for god's sake!

A point in favor of Epic that I forgot to mention last time is curation. Both Epic and Discord curate their games. I still don't think it excuses the above points, but it's important to be fair. There are other things the Epic launcher is missing as well such as steam forums and guides, but I don't think theses features are critical for a competitor to be viable.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142916 on: February 17, 2019, 08:45:31 pm »

I'd like another storefront if it didn't just act as another set of DRM to deal with before you play your game, another point of failure for your passwords, and another waste of hard drive space without providing an advantage over Steam. Or in many cases, being outright worse.

I can't play my original copy of Far Cry 3 anymore because my account was hacked and I no longer have access to it. I can't change my password on Origin because my email is dead, and you need a response email to change it. I have never had any of these problems on Steam. These aren't alternatives so much as they are greedy bastards trying to grab a bigger piece of the pie while providing an inferior service.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142917 on: February 17, 2019, 08:54:22 pm »

another point of failure for your passwords

I heard some rumors about Epic having 9 million accounts hacked, but I couldn't find any substantial information backing up that claim. What I did find was an article about a security vulnerability Epic had that has since been patched thankfully. It doesn't meant that there aren't more flaws though.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142918 on: February 17, 2019, 09:58:12 pm »

I'm in the boat of these proprietary storefronts are intended benefit the game publishers, not consumers.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #142919 on: February 18, 2019, 03:36:59 am »

I'd like another storefront if it didn't just act as another set of DRM to deal with before you play your game, another point of failure for your passwords, and another waste of hard drive space without providing an advantage over Steam. Or in many cases, being outright worse.

I can't play my original copy of Far Cry 3 anymore because my account was hacked and I no longer have access to it. I can't change my password on Origin because my email is dead, and you need a response email to change it. I have never had any of these problems on Steam. These aren't alternatives so much as they are greedy bastards trying to grab a bigger piece of the pie while providing an inferior service.

Gog is still drm free, isn't it?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 9526 9527 [9528] 9529 9530 ... 10984