Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9530 9531 [9532] 9533 9534 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13187754 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #142965 on: February 19, 2019, 05:29:45 pm »

I had to refuse to allow a prepaid card purchase at my store last night because the person buying it was probably getting scammed.  They told me they got an email from the government saying they owed back taxes and that they needed to pay them back by buying a bunch of prepaid cards, activating them, and giving them the details of the cards over the phone.

When people think I'm crazy for saying that everyone needs to pass a basic competency course and get a licence to use the internet just like a driver's licence.  That is why.

Idiot-proofing is a losing arms race tho.

Do not play stupid with me; you will lose.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142966 on: February 19, 2019, 05:46:10 pm »

I had to refuse to allow a prepaid card purchase at my store last night because the person buying it was probably getting scammed.  They told me they got an email from the government saying they owed back taxes and that they needed to pay them back by buying a bunch of prepaid cards, activating them, and giving them the details of the cards over the phone.

When people think I'm crazy for saying that everyone needs to pass a basic competency course and get a licence to use the internet just like a driver's licence.  That is why.

Idiot-proofing is a losing arms race tho.

Do not play stupid with me; you will lose.

Greiger is being a saint for knowingly fighting a losing battle, just for the principle of the matter. He is the Leonidas fighting in vain against the Xerxes of stupidity. He might be able to repel him once, twice, maybe three times, but he will come back, every time with more Subway gift cards, more African Princes that want to share their fortune with him, more threats to see your manager, until Greiger finally relents and allows him to destroy his own life. Your story needs to be heard Greiger, so the baton can be passed to the next generation, who will continue the endless and futile fight against idiocy.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #142967 on: February 19, 2019, 05:58:03 pm »

I had this this wonderful exchange this morning with one of my minions

Him: [Name] isnīt in his room, heīs getting [test] done"

Me: Oh? Are you sure?

Him: yes

Me: Have you checked?

Me: So, let me get this crystal clear, youīre saying that if I go to that room that is literally two meters away, open the door, and peek inside, I will TOTALLY be wasting my time because there is NOONE there right?

(I proceed to go, open the door, and voila, [Name] is sitting inside the room)

Me: Anything to comment on this development?

Him: Uh...

Me: Nevermind, letīs move on.

Itīs not an isolated event, for the record.  For the life of me I canīt figure out whatīs the deal with this guy
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142968 on: February 19, 2019, 06:01:46 pm »

Itīs not an isolated event, for the record.  For the life of me I canīt figure out whatīs the deal with this guy
Pathological liar? I've got a friend who's got a twinge of that. He once got us all in trouble with the sergeant after trying to explain away the snow on our windowsill as "condensation". You really never know what's gonna fall out of their mouths...

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #142969 on: February 19, 2019, 06:07:11 pm »

@chairman

Does everyone who this person works with know that he's a bit of a tit? 'cause... that seems like a bad trait to have in a medical setting.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #142970 on: February 19, 2019, 06:42:25 pm »

Pathological liar? I've got a friend who's got a twinge of that. He once got us all in trouble with the sergeant after trying to explain away the snow on our windowsill as "condensation". You really never know what's gonna fall out of their mouths...
It's a possibility. Terminal witlessness is another. And I don't rule out the possibility that there might be something wrong with him. These possibilities are not mutually exclusive. I don't think there is a delliberate ill will at play, for the record. 

@chairman

Does everyone who this person works with know that he's a bit of a tit? 'cause... that seems like a bad trait to have in a medical setting.
Without going into details: everyone does. I should know: everyone is coming to me (for some reason) to complain about both facepalm moments like the above and bizarre behavior. And literally everyone -everyone- has complained.

It is not a good time at the workplace (manpower is stretched, overall moral is low) and this situation ain't helping.

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #142971 on: February 19, 2019, 06:43:27 pm »

Clearly the only solution is to set him on fire.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #142972 on: February 19, 2019, 06:53:50 pm »

I was considering a discreet enquiry to the soylent factory

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #142973 on: February 19, 2019, 06:58:16 pm »

Why not simply usher him towards the nearest bridge?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #142974 on: February 20, 2019, 12:37:06 am »

You should pay me to be a doctor instead of him
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142975 on: February 20, 2019, 01:03:23 am »

By "minion", he means bottom rung medical staff like myself.  Judging by the work responsibilities involved, it is exactly the same kind of minion.

Rather than be 100% certain in his responses, he should be more honest and accurate with them.  Things like--

"I was informed [department] had taken [patient] to [department] for [procedure].  It's possible they either haven't taken [him/her] yet, or they finished early. Let's check."

You CANNOT FAIL with that kind of response.  It conveys the necessary information (Patient is presumably getting a procedure done), without absolutes about the patient's location, because until you physically check YOU DO NOT KNOW.

If the patient is in the room, one of two things has happened:  Patient has not left for the procedure yet, OR-- They have been returned early and nobody notified you. (you would be surprised how poor inter-staff communication can be.)  If they are in the room, Well, Doctor can see them now! Whoot!  If not, well--- you have an explanation and a hint on where they are and where to find them.

With the kind of response Poo got, I would suspect the Aid is  a lazy SOB who wants to parrot an excuse to not care for the patient, AND-- Is clearly too dumb to pick up on the "Look, I totally KNOW the patient is in there, and I am giving you rope to hang yourself with, you stupid ass." verbiage and behavior from Poo.   Precisely the kind of Aid that should be replaced sooner rather than later.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #142976 on: February 20, 2019, 01:12:20 am »

By "minion", he means bottom rung medical staff like myself.  Judging by the work responsibilities involved, it is exactly the same kind of minion.

No I don't. Scriver got the right of it.
That's what is so worrying about all this.

Not that we're letting this guy loose, mind you, constant oversight is our official policy for this guy. But this goes beyond competence or the lack of thereof into the realm of absurd situations

Agree with the rest of the post. Double checking is common sense.
In fact let me tell you something. The reason I was skeptical of the claim was not that I knew or didnt that the patient was there, but that I had to double check, and in this particular case, doublecheck myself what had trascended, because I've had similar situations in the last two weeks.

Everyone makes mistakes, and in other circumstances I might just give a pass to a mixup. But the problem is that this is recurring, not in isolation, and he tends to double down. I... simply don't see him working without  oversight anytime soon.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 01:23:05 am by ChairmanPoo »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142977 on: February 20, 2019, 02:38:48 am »

No I don't. Scriver got the right of it.
That's what is so worrying about all this.

So, its another DOCTOR?  That is...  I am very concerned.  I was hoping this was at most an LPN or something similar... But another doctor is frightening. I hope he and your hospital have malpractice insurance. 

Not that we're letting this guy loose, mind you, constant oversight is our official policy for this guy. But this goes beyond competence or the lack of thereof into the realm of absurd situations

Agree with the rest of the post. Double checking is common sense.
In fact let me tell you something. The reason I was skeptical of the claim was not that I knew or didnt that the patient was there, but that I had to double check, and in this particular case, doublecheck myself what had trascended, because I've had similar situations in the last two weeks.

Everyone makes mistakes, and in other circumstances I might just give a pass to a mixup. But the problem is that this is recurring, not in isolation, and he tends to double down. I... simply don't see him working without  oversight anytime soon.

I work in a long-term care facility, and my residents are ambulatory.  One moment you may have put them in their soft, comfy beds-- and the next they could be trying to tear down a door to elope into the ice and snow--- all in the short time you were performing peri-care in another room.  This is why I adhere to the "I dont know for sure until I have JUST laid eyes on." policy.  I will inform of the last known status, or last communication, then suggest visual inspection EVERY SINGLE TIME, because fuck if I know where that person got up and went.  They could be in the dining room swinging from the ceiling for all I know.  Rest assured, if they are doing that, I will get them back to safety as soon as possible, but advanced dementia patients are like herding cats, and it is complicated by their having rights about being able to get up and go wherever, at any hours, as long as they are not a danger to themselves or others, or intrude on the rights of others.  In other words, if they want to get up and shuffle around the building, they are perfectly allowed to do so.  (try keeping track of 30+ people that are like that. Giving definite answers is stupid-wrong, every time, unless you can directly see them, that very instant.)

Sounds like your doctor friend could profit from a stint as an aid in a long term care setting. :P

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #142978 on: February 20, 2019, 05:13:43 am »

Likely he's a... whatever those are called in English. What the Scrubs show doctors were at the start of that show. Interns? People undergoing the practical part of the doctor education.
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142979 on: February 20, 2019, 05:21:06 am »

Residency.  In the US, you do the 8yrs med school, then go through a residency program. 

(My nurses tell me I would be a good doctor, but I tell them that I am too old at 38. By the time I finish med school and the residency, I would be old enough to retire.  I have suggest instead becoming an RN.  I have seriously contemplated becoming a full RN, then traveling away from the US to get away from the cray-cray here.  There are many locations that are nice and peaceful that have dire needs for medical professionals, even just RNs.)
Pages: 1 ... 9530 9531 [9532] 9533 9534 ... 10983