Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9539 9540 [9541] 9542 9543 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13174612 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #143100 on: February 25, 2019, 12:02:45 pm »

Or there's that CEO of Nestlé saying how people in developing countries don't understand the true value of clean drinking water; and the only way they'll be able to truly understand just how valuable this necessity of life is, is for Nestlé to be able to bottle and sell their own water to them.

So, really, it's a public service.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #143101 on: February 25, 2019, 12:10:21 pm »

Kind of speaks for itself. The big picture from the article however is that neoliberal ideas aren't just some obscure economic policy ideas relevant to banks and governments, it's a "lens" through which society is viewed: a paradigm. The language and abstractions of corporate markets are applied to literally every facet of life, and to do otherwise is viewed as you being a luddite or an apostate. for example, in neoliberalism, you view religion as a marketplace, so the lens is that individuals "freely decide" which religion they want to be based "maximizing the value that the choice delivers" to the individual for choosing that religion. Concepts like self-sacrifice for some greater good become unthinkable in a paradigm like this, so we almost go crazy thinking about people who sacrificed their life for some ideal (whether that's a nation or a religion or anything else), since they obviously didn't maximize their "market self value" like good honest right-thinkers: since all men are corporations, and what corporations do is maximize the value for their shareholders (which is yourself in the individual example) then self-sacrifice is clearly crazy-think. Machiavelli's The Prince is the basic life-guide for everyone from corporate chairmen down to kindergarten kids in this new paradigm.

Maybe the version of The Prince I 've read was altered (being a translation etc) but I'm certain it did account for the more abstract or sentimental concepts that people might value without demonizing them. Surprisingly, the only concept that the author seemed to hold in contempt was the whole "Gain power by any means necessary" and especially when said "means" was just blind violence.

There was at least one specific passage where his own advise to the "prince"  was <<to prefer a loyal ally even in the face of defeat>>.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143102 on: February 25, 2019, 12:12:45 pm »

Maybe the version of The Prince I 've read was altered (being a translation etc) but I'm certain it did account for the more abstract or sentimental concepts that people might value without demonizing them. Surprisingly, the only concept that the author seemed to hold in contempt was the whole "Gain power by any means necessary" and especially when said "means" was just blind violence.

There was at least one specific passage where his own advise to the "prince"  was <<to prefer a loyal ally even in the face of defeat>>.

Those restrictions aren't necessarily any less selfish. "Gain power by any means necessary" is a bad strategy because it favors short-term success over long term success. Blind violence is ultimately bad because it squanders the very resource you're all fighting over.

And losing a battle now to keep an ally who will be useful in future battles, rather than throwing the ally under a bus for immediate gain, isn't any less self-motivated, it's just more prudent.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 12:18:37 pm by Reelya »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143103 on: February 25, 2019, 12:18:24 pm »

I was gonna make a statement about WW1 Germany, then realized they didn’t have any allies.
Hell, Italy and Japan were both on the French side in that one.

Edit: Obligatory mention to the Austro-Hungarians who managed to get their teeth kicked in by the rebels they started the whole war in order to pacify.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 12:20:13 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143104 on: February 25, 2019, 12:19:42 pm »

I was gonna make a statement about WW1 Germany, then realized they didn’t have any allies.
Hell, Italy and Japan were both on the French side in that one.

You're forgetting the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and the Ottoman Empire. These were quite formidable allies, and a damn sight larger than modern Austria and Turkey. We tend to forget that, and see it as just Germany+Austria+Turkey and ask "what were they thinking, going against the world?". The WWI German side were in fact a decent chunk of the industrial world.

EDIT: we kinda blast the USA for coming in late, but it was pretty much a stalemate up to that point, and Russia had already quit the war, neutralizing the eastern front. The war in Europe was a stalemate, therefore neither side was completely foolish to try. France was screwed, England was depleted and Italy was a joke. Nobody actually managed to invade any of the three central powers. It came down to attrition. Without the fresh influx of American units there would not have been the one-sided armistice.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 12:41:34 pm by Reelya »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143105 on: February 25, 2019, 12:36:37 pm »

it favors short-term success over long term success.

Sounds perfect for a capitalist society then
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143106 on: February 25, 2019, 12:41:17 pm »

I did forget the Ottomans, who frankly had their hands full just keeping the territory they had, and whose major claim to fame was “oh hey, the Brits are sitting their boats off this beach, we should fortify it” and “oh hey, they attacked where we fortified it”

Edit:
The war in Europe was a stalemate, therefore neither side was completely foolish to try. France was screwed, England was depleted and Italy was a joke. Nobody actually managed to invade any of the three central powers. It came down to attrition.
Not gonna understate the punching power the Americans brought to the field, but honestly i’d say it came entirely down to the manufacturing. Even if the Germans knew what the landships were, they couldn’t have squeezed a tank factory out of their population so late in the game- and tanks weren’t so much a game-changer as a game-over. The Germans had sapped the last of their materiel supply, the army was starving and morale was shot. Even with colonial troops they could have wandered through the Hindenburg line.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 12:53:59 pm by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143107 on: February 25, 2019, 12:43:30 pm »

I did forget the Ottomans, who frankly had their hands full just keeping the territory they had, and whose major claim to fame was “oh hey, the Brits are sitting their boats off this beach, we should fortify it” and “oh hey, they attacked where we fortified it”

EDIT: however, you have to consider what the Turk's war aims were. One of the factors they had was that Russia was threatening to occupy some of their territory to secure the straits out of the Black Sea into the Meditteranean, and this was before the war. The Turks actions in the war put significant strain on Russia, especially, and probably added to Russia's decisions to bow out of the war (and to sign the Treaty of Treaty of Brest-Litovsk ceding some territory to the Turks). This can't be completely discounted as an important contribution the Turk's made to their other allies.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 12:57:21 pm by Reelya »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143108 on: February 25, 2019, 12:56:19 pm »

I’m gonna go ahead and bow to your knowledge of early modern history, ‘cos let’s be honest literally the only things I know about WW1 is what Dan Carlin has told me.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #143109 on: February 25, 2019, 12:57:33 pm »

And losing a battle now to keep an ally who will be useful in future battles, rather than throwing the ally under a bus for immediate gain, isn't any less self-motivated, it's just more prudent.

Yes, but survival after the defeat was not guaranteed. I'm not denying that it was because of self interest, I'm just saying it wasn't always and stricktly about maximazing  tangible profits/power as is commonly criticized for.

In a more peacefull enviroment, the above advise would be pretty much equal to "help your neighbor even if you won't win anything more than a slight chance to make the neighborhood a better place to live" .
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143110 on: February 25, 2019, 12:58:11 pm »

I know enough to google what else I need to know, nothing more. I'm no expert.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143111 on: February 25, 2019, 01:01:36 pm »

Dammit, edited out the quote about all the Ottomans in France. I now cannot quote it for posteriority.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143112 on: February 26, 2019, 05:22:57 pm »

Set an alarm half an hour earlier than usual in the hopes of being more on time... my bus was over half an hour late. :|
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143113 on: February 26, 2019, 11:04:58 pm »

Today, I have given my essay a title. The notable thing is that this is the first time I've titled an essay in nearly six years. Every other time I've forgotten it.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #143114 on: February 27, 2019, 01:19:39 am »

Title: Don't forget to title the essay this time
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 9539 9540 [9541] 9542 9543 ... 10983