Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9547 9548 [9549] 9550 9551 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13181269 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #143220 on: March 03, 2019, 08:38:57 am »

But the logistics of keeping that many slaves permanently don't really add up. If you have them there 24/7 then you're responsible for feeding, housing, clothing them, and having a large slave-master apparatus costing you a lot more. Having a few slaves/indentured servants per household is reasonably efficient, or plantation slaves in the Old South, but only because the advanced weaponry of the firearm meant a small number of guards were needed. but there's literally nowhere where for example a "slave factory" is overall more efficient than merely paying people a wage then sending them home at the end of the day. There's a reason that the places with "wage slavery" are economically beating the places with actual slavery.

Also, we don't have any evidence of any archeology that supports the slave-hypothesis, so it's kinda disingenious to assume that the slave-hypothesis is the working hypothesis, until 100% proven otherwise. You should go on "preponderance of evidence" if there are two competing hypothesis, not pick one as the automatic default, without providing a compelling reason why it should be so. "because people used to believe that" is not a compelling reason to continue to believe something, when the available evidence says the opposite of the common-belief.

for example if there were lots of slaves worked to death (which you'd basically have to do, to make it at all economical vs simply paying farmers to come work on the pyramids during the off-season), there should be huge mass-graves full of dead slaves near the pyramids, but these mass graves do not exist. to the best of our knowledge. They would have had to put the dead slaves somewhere. We only have examples of people freely buried along with personal possessions and the typical Egyptian gifts for the afterlife, which would imply they weren't slaves, unless they treated the slaves especially well. Until we find the bodies of the proposed slaves, the working hypothesis should be that the existing, actually found, graves are typical. About 10,000 people at a time worked on the big pyramids over 30 years. Assuming a slave would last 5 years on such a project, we're talking 60000 corpses per pyramid that should be buried around there.

Or, you know, you get farm slaves to work on the pyramids in the off season.

And no, it's not either all slaves or no slaves. The most likely conclusion from the evidence is that it was a mix of both slaves and free workers.

Or, if I was speaking Finnish, I'd call myself Routsilainen and not Svenskilainen, the same way Finns in English call themselves Finns and not Soumis.
"Ruotsalainen", "Suomalainen". Diphthongs are important.

no u

wait, sorry, i meant "nu o" :P

Though Finland is a pretty poor example, considering we have our own words for a good number of the neighbouring countries

I think that's actually a great example exactly because of that, since what I was trying to say that just because a people refer to themselves as something in a different language doesn't mean it's what they call themselves. A Georgian would call themselves Georgian when speaking in English just as a Swede would call themselves Ruotsalainen when speaking in Finnish instead of Svenskalainen.

Estonia / Eesti / Viro

Wouldn't it be fantastic if Viro meant "South" in Finnish?

Germany / Deutschland / Saksa

Saxony I'm guessing?

Addendum - motion to make Soumi Wrestling into Finland's national sport all in favour say aye?

HOW AM I NOT GETTING ANY SUPPORT FOR THIS
Love, scriver~

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143221 on: March 03, 2019, 08:42:17 am »

Us poor Non-Fins don't know what Soumi Wrassling is. We could look it up, but it'd be best if you just put on a demonstration to show everyone. Go put on your thong, we'll wait.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #143222 on: March 03, 2019, 08:44:37 am »

I think it’s just him being cheeky. Finns call themselves Soumi, so it’s just Finn wrestling, basically. This is why scriver, being an East-Norwegian, is unable to demonstrate.

The need to explain it is why it doesn’t get my support :p
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #143223 on: March 03, 2019, 08:56:48 am »

#BoilingHate
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143224 on: March 03, 2019, 09:05:57 am »

And no, it's not either all slaves or no slaves. The most likely conclusion from the evidence is that it was a mix of both slaves and free workers.

Which evidence exactly? Everything that comes up when you google the topic says no.

From wikipedia for example, the earliest references to Egyptian slavery are from the New Kingdom, or around 1500 BC. The stuff we're talking about is 2500 BC. Note the relevance that by 1500 BC, they had an empire and subject peoples. That wasn't the case at all in 2500 BC which was only a handful of centuries since the first known Pharaohs, and it's been argued that it was the centralized works projects such as the pyramids which allow the growth of centralized power in Egypt in the first place. Also, there was no national army at this point in time, each governor would raise volunteer legions (who were poorly paid and irregularly equipped) to be used in times of war, which the Pharaoh would then lead. This situation isn't what you'd need to have mass-scale slavery. You need a full-time army for that.

So, what we do know isn't really conducive to the idea.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 10:13:15 am by Reelya »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143225 on: March 03, 2019, 09:56:25 am »

Georgia / Sakartvelo / Gruusia
And in Russian, it's "Gruziya". Sounds oddly similar.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #143226 on: March 03, 2019, 10:11:02 am »

It's not like we lack later examples of major constructions done by hired workers and volunteers. Look at the cathedrals.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #143227 on: March 03, 2019, 10:33:07 am »

Gruusia
And in Russian, it's "Gruziya". Sounds oddly similar.
I believe it is indeed borrowed/corrupted from Russian.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143228 on: March 03, 2019, 10:33:49 am »

Finns confirmed feeves.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #143229 on: March 03, 2019, 10:44:48 am »

And English isn't?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143230 on: March 03, 2019, 10:57:25 am »

Well, Hitler being an Austrian and Stalin being a Georgian... I'd like to put my name in the hat for Emperor of America.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143231 on: March 03, 2019, 01:54:23 pm »

Ooh, learning many things Reelya. :)

But yeah. In the US, cost of living is lower in GA compared to NY. (In many cases much!) Georgia also has no public transit to speak of, tho.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143232 on: March 03, 2019, 02:37:42 pm »

You say that as though any other part of the US has decent public transit.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143233 on: March 03, 2019, 03:00:07 pm »

A number of metropolitan areas actually have a decent amount of public transit. Buses, trams, commuter trains, things of that nature.

Probably not enough public transit but certainly better than what's available in other areas.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #143234 on: March 03, 2019, 04:36:47 pm »

Does NY state actually have public transit outside the major cities too? Because thats a huge area to cover for a small population, and ive never heard of anybody caring about servicing rural populations.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 9547 9548 [9549] 9550 9551 ... 10983