Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9568 9569 [9570] 9571 9572 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13000009 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #143535 on: March 14, 2019, 02:38:08 am »

What kills my games is usually performance, not  ascii exahustion (tbh I think all of us old timers tend to have matrix sight and dont see the ascii no more :p )  I'll probably get it anyway as token support, but what I really care about is enhanced fps, not graphics :p

(Well interface wouldnt be bad either)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143536 on: March 14, 2019, 02:56:12 am »

Neo's just ranting because he caught wind of the price tag for the Steam version and he thinks that it means that Toady is now switching to that as a method of direct monetization.  He is making a particular assumption, that the Steam version is now the 'primary' version, and disregarding the fact that it is purely a secondary revenue stream.

He does actually have a point that Steam forums tend to be panicy and very fast to declare something "dead" despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, and that the user reviews are going to be incredibly bad to start with.  Simply put there's going to be a flood of people who's experience with similar games is limited to Steam titles like Rimworld and Gnomoria, which are far more polished than DF, they are also very unlikely to check outside of the Steam forums for information, making explaining things like the DF dev cycle to them extremely difficult.

I support Toady completely in this endeavor, and hope it provides the additional financial security he needs for his future health.  I haven't decided whether I will purchase or not, I kind of feel that a direct donation would be more honest, but I also think that this is probably an overall good move for the Adams brothers.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143537 on: March 14, 2019, 02:58:19 am »

I’m not a combustion engineer, but wouldn’t a car running diesel cut with petrol run fairly adequately, as compared to vice versa?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #143538 on: March 14, 2019, 03:02:46 am »

AFAIK petrol engines are ruined by diesel
Actually the other way around
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 03:05:52 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143539 on: March 14, 2019, 03:03:33 am »

Gasoline burns hotter, and it is more damaging to the fuel lines and gaskets of the engine than the diesel fuel is.  It would thus be more damaging to valves, seals, and rubber components of the fuel system.  (Similar to why manufacturers get pissy about biodiesel, and also why Ethanol above 10% can destroy gasoline engines when they are not designed for the higher combustion temperatures.)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143540 on: March 14, 2019, 03:40:46 am »

I really don't know how to feel about the potential influx of newbies. Could be bad, could be good. We'll see.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #143541 on: March 14, 2019, 04:09:40 am »

DF going on Steam in a "premium" version is certainly not the kind of news I've expected to hear, like, ever.
._.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143542 on: March 14, 2019, 05:33:36 am »

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/science-socialmedia/

Yay, let's harass scientists because it's unacceptable to think that maybe mental health may be involved.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143543 on: March 14, 2019, 05:44:44 am »

It's just the advanced form of "DISAGREE!! Therefore WRONG!!" that is enabled, and even applauded on the internet these days.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143544 on: March 14, 2019, 05:48:57 am »

I really don't know how to feel about the potential influx of newbies. Could be bad, could be good. We'll see.
I bet they all love Roblox. ;)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143545 on: March 14, 2019, 05:49:46 am »

I bet they all love Roblox. ;)

*Nosferatu hissing*

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #143546 on: March 14, 2019, 05:58:44 am »

Yay, let's harass scientists because it's unacceptable to think that maybe mental health may be involved.
If that snapshot of the social landscape is representative of the whole thing, I'm going to think that social media is a form of hell that recursively spawns hells within itself, each of them hyperexponentially worse than the last. At this point, I may as well continue to dig my head in the sand by actively refusing to sign up for such things.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143547 on: March 14, 2019, 06:01:54 am »

Is it possible there are "Paid Harassers" that are paid by companies and interest groups to constantly buffet scientists to stop them from forwarding all this pesky science and truth that is getting in the way of profits? It's hard to imagine people that are the perfect combination of assholes, who have free time, and also care specifically about these issues the scientists are handling specifically, to arise naturally in the population; it occurring artificially however seems very likely.

I might be underestimating the kind of people on social media however.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143548 on: March 14, 2019, 06:05:26 am »

No, It really is the combination of "Echo chambers make me feel more reassured about myself and my opinions!" with "I have an extreme opinion, and I confuse that opinion with reality."

That's really all you need for this to happen.  It really is "DISAGREE! therefore, WRONG!"

In this case, you have a douche canoe that just cannot envision how it might even be conceivably possible that one of the contributing factors to chronic fatigue syndrome might be depleted emotional coping capacity, (nevermind the similarities in the symptoms!), because that would mean, maybe possibly-- that mental health could be a contributing factor, and 'GAWD DAMN IT, I'M NOT CRAZY!', and so the scientist is belittling him and other people with the disorder.

It's all about perceptions of reality, affirmations of reality, and refusals of reality.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143549 on: March 14, 2019, 07:44:23 am »

If I may steal and fuck up a Ron White quite for a moment, "We're all crazy; it's just to what extent are you crazy."
Pages: 1 ... 9568 9569 [9570] 9571 9572 ... 10974