Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9569 9570 [9571] 9572 9573 ... 10979

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13121396 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #143550 on: March 14, 2019, 09:39:47 am »

I really don't know how to feel about the potential influx of newbies. Could be bad, could be good. We'll see.
I bet they all love Roblox. ;)
Off with their heads. ;)
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143551 on: March 14, 2019, 09:51:53 am »

I really don't know how to feel about the potential influx of newbies. Could be bad, could be good. We'll see.
I bet they all love Roblox. ;)
Off with their heads. ;)
Oof
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143552 on: March 14, 2019, 09:59:30 am »

S'alright. They're knockoff Lego. The head pops on and off at will.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143553 on: March 14, 2019, 10:50:44 am »

It's all about perceptions of reality, affirmations of reality, and refusals of reality.

Maybe in the general sense, but it's also caused by a specific flaw in scientific outreach efforts: if neither you nor your audience know what you're talking about, it's very easy to skim public-facing science for the stylistic trappings of empiricism without the actual expertise required to be helpful. It is, in short, very easy to tweet "I question these data" or "I want independent verification" or "Show me the data" or "You're biased" and then call generic "scientists" cowardly or claim they're hiding something for refusing to drop everything and "debate" everyone with a loud opinion. It is equally easy to just pass moral judgments on their activities and talk about what "should" happen rather than the actual science, or to just complain about not having open access to everything. Actually doing the work to figure out what if anything is wrong is less easy, and generally requires more math than your average amateur is willing and able to do.

See, when we do outreach, we have this idea that we're going to explain our work to people who don't understand how it benefits them and why they should support it, but they aren't the problem here. The real backlash comes not from the nonscientists but from the wannabes, the ones still nursing a grudge about not making it into grad school or how nobody noticed the totally awesome theory of everything they scribbled on a napkin one night or how their science teacher gave them a bad grade or any of a dozen other things, and they're the ones who raid open access papers for sound bites and buzzwords and generally drive pseudoscientific woo. They aren't out to prove us wrong so much as they're out to prove themselves worthy despite everything -- and nothing we could possibly get out of that fight is worth the time commitment.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143554 on: March 14, 2019, 11:00:04 am »

I got the urge recently to buy and read a newspaper, just to see what I've been missing. There was a story about a kid with cystic fibrosis who's dying wish was to talk to President Trump, and apparently his democrat sister managed to set him up and they talked on the phone for five minutes. He was beyond overjoyed.

Another story was about parents raising "Procrastinating Kids", which navel gazed at how the young people these days just don't have any drive or attention span; and it recommended apps to lock them out of their phone. I thought it missed the point about how awful the educational system is that it induces this behavior to begin with.

The last noteworthy story was about a 17 yr old and 18 yr old pair of kids that killed someone by throwing rocks off an overpass. The story was about how the judge should try them in court, as juniors or adults. I thought "well if they were just throwing pebbles and the driver freaked out and ran off the road, I don't see a reason to ruin their futures." and then I got to the part where it was a 20 lb. stone that smashed clear through the windshield and killed the driver that way, and my opinion immediately changed to "You hang those kids, you hang those murdering bastard brats right now. You have to make an example of them so future brats know they won't get away with the juvenile defense." and I don't particularly like having such harsh opinions of people.

And that was my experience with the newspaper.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 11:02:01 am by JoshuaFH »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143555 on: March 14, 2019, 11:22:46 am »

I'm pretty sure my dad literally buys the newspaper just to throw it into the fireplace.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #143556 on: March 14, 2019, 12:49:17 pm »

I got the urge recently to buy and read a newspaper, just to see what I've been missing. There was a story about a kid with cystic fibrosis who's dying wish was to talk to President Trump, and apparently his democrat sister managed to set him up and they talked on the phone for five minutes. He was beyond overjoyed.

Another story was about parents raising "Procrastinating Kids", which navel gazed at how the young people these days just don't have any drive or attention span; and it recommended apps to lock them out of their phone. I thought it missed the point about how awful the educational system is that it induces this behavior to begin with.

The last noteworthy story was about a 17 yr old and 18 yr old pair of kids that killed someone by throwing rocks off an overpass. The story was about how the judge should try them in court, as juniors or adults. I thought "well if they were just throwing pebbles and the driver freaked out and ran off the road, I don't see a reason to ruin their futures." and then I got to the part where it was a 20 lb. stone that smashed clear through the windshield and killed the driver that way, and my opinion immediately changed to "You hang those kids, you hang those murdering bastard brats right now. You have to make an example of them so future brats know they won't get away with the juvenile defense." and I don't particularly like having such harsh opinions of people.

Pretty much why I quit Reddit. An endless circle of backpatting and virtue-signalling from the smallest of subs to the top of r/all, and then occasionally something that made me seethe with impotent rage.

Newspapers are really just Reddit for old people/people who don't have Internet. Change some words and add an "advice animal" meme and that one about locking phones could easily make it to the front page.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #143557 on: March 14, 2019, 01:30:32 pm »

I’m not a combustion engineer, but wouldn’t a car running diesel cut with petrol run fairly adequately, as compared to vice versa?

It's been some years since I last studied these so I might remember it wrong.

In general I would say no, those two are too dissimilar and eventually the mix is going to ruin the engine due to either the bad timing of the ignition or the subsequent spread of the flame. That is assuming it can even ignite in that engine in the first place.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143558 on: March 14, 2019, 02:03:12 pm »

Bemusement and outrage? Sounds like it hit the right notes for a fairly successful newspaper experience, well done.

In other news, I love how when I'm trying to get just a bit more sleep before my alarm my brain embarks on this hee-larious progression through a variety of stressful and unhelpful topics up to and including mild existentialism.
Thanks brain! I need to be up in an hour if I'm to have any hope of getting at least one or two things done before heading off for round three of family visit stuff...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143559 on: March 14, 2019, 02:09:57 pm »

I am silently hoping that the improved UI code makes its way into the free version, and that this drives a focus on more optimized, and parallelized code.  this is probably a vain hope, but I still have it.
So the AMA has started: https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/b147yh/im_tarn_aka_toady_one_dwarf_fortress_is_coming_to/
And the opening post clears up what was, honestly, pretty clear from the Discord chat (but sorta hard to search through):
Then we'll have the graphical release, with the free version getting related powers for modders as well.

It really is the same version, but the paid version has additional art and music assets.  And whatever Steam integration happens (to my knowledge, achievements have not been promised).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #143560 on: March 14, 2019, 02:37:29 pm »

I’m not a combustion engineer, but wouldn’t a car running diesel cut with petrol run fairly adequately, as compared to vice versa?

It's been some years since I last studied these so I might remember it wrong.

In general I would say no, those two are too dissimilar and eventually the mix is going to ruin the engine due to either the bad timing of the ignition or the subsequent spread of the flame. That is assuming it can even ignite in that engine in the first place.
IIRC one of them ruins the lubrication of the other. I thought it was diesel in gas engines but apparently its the other way around: gas in diesel engines totals the engine, diesel in gas engines just wont fire
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #143561 on: March 14, 2019, 04:00:50 pm »

Yeah gas ruins the fuel filters, pumps and sensors etc on diesel engines; gas behaves like a solvent and diesel like an oil, so very different materials. Diesel in your gas can also clog your fuel filters + pumps iirc among other things, like sitting at the bottom of your gas tank refusing to mix with the gas, and then going through the engine in one big diesel-y clump and clogging things up just because diesel is a lot more viscous than gas.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143562 on: March 14, 2019, 04:06:56 pm »

Shit, we could burn gas+diesel in the military field heaters just fine.

...and by "burn", I legitimately mean just shoving it into the chamber and dropping a wad of lit paper down in there. Christ those things were a nightmare to clean...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #143563 on: March 14, 2019, 04:55:26 pm »

That is like the polar opposite of a finely tuned fuel efficient combustion engine
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143564 on: March 14, 2019, 05:00:59 pm »

It's a metal barrel with a chimney and some ventilation holes.

Probably only costs like $4800 or so.
Pages: 1 ... 9569 9570 [9571] 9572 9573 ... 10979