Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9583 9584 [9585] 9586 9587 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13185914 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #143760 on: March 21, 2019, 09:18:48 am »

I still remember the days of Shockwave and RealVideo
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143761 on: March 21, 2019, 09:51:17 am »

I remember the era before even that...  When the animated gif was the apex of cool graphics on the web. (and when video files were just too painfully large to send without reducing their resolution and color depth to absurd amounts.)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #143762 on: March 21, 2019, 12:42:20 pm »

GOG just downloaded updates for Champions of Krynn, Death Knights of Krynn and Ultima IV. All it did was replace the shortcut files and other GOG-added utilities..... and reverted the DOSBOX configuration, meaning the games will run in full-screen until I change them back. :-\
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #143763 on: March 21, 2019, 05:37:13 pm »

the more i hear about or interact with html5 media the more i dislike it

I mean, it finally ridded us of Adobe Flash Player man.
If by ridded you mean usurped its position as worst common means of playing online media, I guess. I actually migrated to non-browser youtube players when yt finally nixed flash entirely -- the html5 player was running like five times as ass as flash was, so it was functionally unusable. New computer handles it a bit better but fuck html5 on principle at this point.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143764 on: March 21, 2019, 05:39:09 pm »

You don't go to Armor or Kong to play HTML games.

Man, what an era...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #143765 on: March 21, 2019, 05:47:16 pm »

the more i hear about or interact with html5 media the more i dislike it

I mean, it finally ridded us of Adobe Flash Player man.
If by ridded you mean usurped its position as worst common means of playing online media, I guess. I actually migrated to non-browser youtube players when yt finally nixed flash entirely -- the html5 player was running like five times as ass as flash was, so it was functionally unusable. New computer handles it a bit better but fuck html5 on principle at this point.

More importantly, it was very easy to find an extension to turn all Flash objects into Play buttons, killing off autoplay without costing you content. Every html5 equivalent has prevented me from playing any content at all.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #143766 on: March 21, 2019, 08:16:50 pm »

More importantly, it was very easy to find an extension to turn all Flash objects into Play buttons, killing off autoplay without costing you content. Every html5 equivalent has prevented me from playing any content at all.
I use Waterfox/Firefox with "media.autoplay.enabled" set to "false" in about:config. Seems to work well enough.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143767 on: March 21, 2019, 10:36:00 pm »

Man, what an era...
Newgrounds. That was my drug of choice back when Flash was king.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143768 on: March 21, 2019, 11:24:33 pm »

Man, what an era...
Newgrounds. That was my drug of choice back when Flash was king.

Hey Po, waddya know? Behind these doh's I gots three fine ho's!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143769 on: March 21, 2019, 11:39:01 pm »

I've bemoaned the death of Flash before, and the loss of so many classic games.  Virtualization is a long-term solution some of the time, but many don't work right once their original sites are down.

Well, turns out some cool people actually built a proper solution to that: http://bluemaxima.org/flashpoint/
They not only archived "Eleven thousand games", but the program sets up proxy settings to let the games "fetch" resources they expect to find online.  The resources are actually stored locally, of course.  I got the a-la-carte option instead of all 76GB, and it works very well.  A lot of games which are still around play significantly better, since it uses the more efficient stand-alone flash player.

The list includes some Java games like Realspace 2 which aren't available in the a-la-carte for whatever reason, but yeah!  A friend pointed it out last night since we were talking Flash, and it's just really comforting to know that such an easily-accessible archive will exist.  It's one thing for the games to be technically playable, this is actually convenient.

(Then to play Realspace 2, a java game, I had to use IE (Firefox and Chrome simply don't support the plugin system anymore), find an old site still hosting the game, then configure *Java* to add a security exception for the specific website.  Then restart the browser of course.  Then confirm that, yes, I wanted to run the Java app on the site I specifically whitelisted in a config tool.  At some point they simply removed the option to prompt the user.  I've worked with Java web threats so I sorta get it, but... It's kinda sad that normal users aren't trusted to decide.)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143770 on: March 21, 2019, 11:42:21 pm »

Do they have the Saarbakan Arcane Mystery Serial games in that archive?  Those were surprisingly well made, and fun to play.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143771 on: March 21, 2019, 11:52:34 pm »

They do, and I can confirm that at least one of them loads just fine in the a-la-carte launcher (:
There's a comprehensive list here: http://bluemaxima.org/flashpoint/datahub/Game_Master_List
(though that includes the Java games I mentioned, which might need the entire-archive version.

(They're listed as Arcane Mystery Serial: The Stone # with author "Sarbakan")
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143772 on: March 21, 2019, 11:59:04 pm »

You should play them. It starts with the Miller Estate.  They are a cthulu mythos universe setting point-click adventure series.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143773 on: March 22, 2019, 12:13:21 am »

Chapter 1 of The Miller Estate has an odd issue where it keeps trying to load a .htm, and the game stuttered badly.  So, not perfectly preserved ):
Chapter 1 of The Stone Circle seems to work fine, though (as long as you avoid Timed mode- there's a warning about that in the launcher entry).  I got ate by a thing, but I like the voice acting!

I played a sci-fi point&click called Morningstar last night, which was a nice nostalgia trip.  The intro is pretty great CG for an old Flash game...  Well heck here's a Youtube of it.  The video includes the outro too but it doesn't really spoil anything.  The game itself looks like the video, but as Myst-style pannable stills.
She/they

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #143774 on: March 22, 2019, 10:37:35 am »

Man those 419 scam emails have gotten really dumb lately.

Instead of purporting to be some hapless Nigerian prince, I've recently gotten emails from a "Steven Mnuchin from world bank" and "Mike Pence the vice president of USA"

Seriously? Like you're gonna pass yourself off as Mike Pence and then claim I have a BANK CHEQUE DRAFT for 20 million dollars? How absurd....Mike Pence would never use the word cheque!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*
Pages: 1 ... 9583 9584 [9585] 9586 9587 ... 10983