Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9610 9611 [9612] 9613 9614 ... 10981

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13153273 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #144165 on: April 09, 2019, 10:49:41 am »

You speak of the heavenly paradise where man is no longer man, but wrapped in the eternity of perfection which is God. Agency ceases to matter if, with one voice, all cry their willingness, nay, their love, for that state.
I know it's your religion and all, but it sounds a lot like brainwashing. 'cause it doesn't matter what you want, because your god is going to make you want it.
I'm an atheist :P
Were I to sympathise with a form of religious feeling, it would be a pantheon (in which the evils of the world may be attributed to imperfect deities) or something approaching Rolan's pantheism, in which nature reveals the hidden sublime. The fairy in the flower, the sprite in the rain.
I don't believe either stance to be particularly factual, but I feel they try to claim factual status less often than many monotheistic faiths. As for pantheism, I understand a sense of awe in nature.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #144166 on: April 09, 2019, 11:19:28 am »

Let's be real, none of us are going to heaven because we missed getting on the spaceship trailing Hale-Bopp in '97
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #144167 on: April 09, 2019, 11:21:58 am »

Wouldn't that be animism?

As for myself, I am not religious, but I am romantically inclined ;)
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #144168 on: April 09, 2019, 11:44:28 am »

*Bats eyelids at scriver*
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #144169 on: April 09, 2019, 11:50:56 am »

Let's be real, none of us are going to heaven because we missed getting on the spaceship trailing Hale-Bopp in '97
You can still raise your operating thetans though(provided you collaborate in raising money for Tom Cruise's next lifting surgery)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144170 on: April 09, 2019, 01:18:46 pm »

Nonexistence sounds fucking spectacular.

Oh man, that does sound great.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144171 on: April 09, 2019, 03:08:39 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 11:49:36 am by dragdeler »
let

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #144172 on: April 09, 2019, 04:03:31 pm »

Nonexistence sounds fucking spectacular.

Oh man, that does sound great.

Oh how I wish I would die,
And finally achieve rest.
No more seeing for my eye,
No more beating in my chest.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144173 on: April 09, 2019, 04:30:34 pm »

You can still raise your operating thetans though(provided you collaborate in raising money for Tom Cruise's next lifting surgery)
How quickly we forget Divine Pineal Gland Activations.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144174 on: April 09, 2019, 04:43:26 pm »

Oh, but it gets so much more interesting my children!

Reptiles, many amphibians, and many invertebrates all have a light sensing structure connected to the pineal gland! That's right, an actual third eye!

(plays "woo" themed theremin music, while images of 3-eyed space reptiles are displayed)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144175 on: April 09, 2019, 04:46:39 pm »

I was just WTFing at this John Olive segment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCC8fPQOaxU

it's hard to imagine what would incentivize someone to be this shamelessly, nay, proudly evil. If you're looking for people to victimize, he found the trifecta: Helpless, Captive, and deserving of better.

If, somehow, the current issue my parents are having with getting the house they've already put money down for fails to be resolved, and if, for some reason, they decide to look at getting one of those mobile homes, I'm going to force them to watch that video.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144176 on: April 09, 2019, 05:09:39 pm »

Oh, but it gets so much more interesting my children!

Reptiles, many amphibians, and many invertebrates all have a light sensing structure connected to the pineal gland! That's right, an actual third eye!

(plays "woo" themed theremin music, while images of 3-eyed space reptiles are displayed)

Gotta be honest I'm hearing the original Star Trek theme song in my head right now.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144177 on: April 09, 2019, 05:28:07 pm »

I was just WTFing at this John Olive segment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCC8fPQOaxU

it's hard to imagine what would incentivize someone to be this shamelessly, nay, proudly evil. If you're looking for people to victimize, he found the trifecta: Helpless, Captive, and deserving of better.
I don't think it's as simple as someone being evil, it's an inevitable result of systems we can (and should!) adjust.  Capitalism is fundamentally about people using their assets as efficiently as possible, under whatever regulations apply.  Blaming individuals for doing exactly that is only treating the symptoms.

Theory aside, I don't think the park owner is entirely unsympathetic here.  Why *should* he act altruistically in this situation?  The residents aren't.  They want control of the land without paying for it.  If he lets them stay, he is essentially throwing away money on an investment he made.

The obvious solution, as I think the video mentioned, is for residents to pool resources to acquire the land they depend on.  The previous landowner gets a fair price, and they get authority over how the land is used.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #144178 on: April 09, 2019, 05:34:16 pm »

Capitalism is fundamentally about people using their assets as efficiently as possible, under whatever regulations apply.  Blaming individuals for doing exactly that is only treating the symptoms.
Theoretically, more than fundamentally. In practice, wild inefficiencies (that are pretty inherently baked into the systems involved) often rule the proverbial waves due to various... let's call them pre-existing conditions. Maybe it'll cause an insurance magnate's head to explode, somewhere. it'd probably be a net gain in terms of lives ahaha

The only fair price in capitalism is the one you can convince someone to accept :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #144179 on: April 09, 2019, 05:42:40 pm »

I'm hearing a theremin version of Trololo. Those damned reptiles are trolling us, what with their third fucking eye.
Pages: 1 ... 9610 9611 [9612] 9613 9614 ... 10981