Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9623 9624 [9625] 9626 9627 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13170329 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #144360 on: April 18, 2019, 08:44:01 pm »

@Discworld Conversation

The first 3 books really are the weakest ones. Book 4 is an outlier for being one of the best in the series, but if I had to recommend a single book that could stand on its own, it would have to be book 25 The Truth or Small Gods like pikachu7 recommends. If you are willing to read at least one book before-hand, I would recommend reading Guards! Guards! Guards! so you then have the proper background to read Men at Arms. Out of all the books I've read so far, Men at Arms its my second favorite.

Alternatively, if you can force yourself to finish the second book, you can skip the third book entirely and jump straight to book 4. It that book doesn't impress you, then I don't think anything will. People generally like Pratchett for his writing style, so hearing that it turns you off might be a sign that the series isn't for you.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #144361 on: April 18, 2019, 08:45:42 pm »

I got tired of it en masse.  Pratchett overload.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #144362 on: April 18, 2019, 09:09:44 pm »

Personally, I hated Prachett almost as much as I hated Douglas Adams. Both lacked the quality (essential to a comedy series) of being humorous.

On the other hand, I don't like most of the Monty Python acts either. My sense of humor is probably a bit off.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #144363 on: April 18, 2019, 09:17:08 pm »

Personally, I hated Prachett almost as much as I hated Douglas Adams. Both lacked the quality (essential to a comedy series) of being humorous.

On the other hand, I don't like most of the Monty Python acts either. My sense of humor is probably a bit off.

What do you find funny?
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #144364 on: April 18, 2019, 09:29:13 pm »

Monty Python isn’t that funny.

Pratchett is very good at spinning a yarn, and that is what I enjoy about his books.

Whatever floats your boat though, you weirdo for not liking the same things as me.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144365 on: April 18, 2019, 09:35:28 pm »

I never overloaded Pratchett, I got it in bits and nibbles while growing up.

Technically my first exposure was Feet of Clay but it was meh, I was too young.
Small Gods blew my mind and could honestly be part of why I consider myself a skeptic animist nowadays.  I legit consider the machine spirits, and tree spirits.  So many things *act* fussy, in the day-to-day.  It's a working theory.

My favorite... Yeah, still Making Money.  The perspective on currency and what it means, through the lens of a "reformed" huckster, was on-point.

Also anything starring Vimes honestly.  Night Watch (I think?  The one instance of time travel) being the best, but not best introduction.

...Lords and Ladies.  Speaks to my faith, in ways I'm not comfortable talking about.  It's a good book.
Keep some iron around, kids.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #144366 on: April 18, 2019, 09:51:42 pm »

Jingo is a good one for Vimes.

I am not good at remembering titles. Not the biggest fan of the later books, but that’s just ‘cause they have the audacity to introduce new characters doing new things, the horror.

Fakeedit: Thud, also.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #144367 on: April 18, 2019, 09:55:34 pm »

What do you find funny?

Mel Brooks
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144368 on: April 18, 2019, 10:03:12 pm »

Technically my first exposure was Feet of Clay but it was meh, I was too young.
You weren't too young. As someone who read it only last year, I can say that it was an objectively dull book.

I'm happy you liked Lords and Ladies though. The book was curiously absent in my book store and I had to order it online. It starred the witches so I thought they didn't stock it because it wasn't that good. I was pleasantly surprised. The ending was a little weak, but the elves were good villains.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144369 on: April 18, 2019, 10:54:07 pm »

Were they the villains though
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 01:07:43 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144370 on: April 19, 2019, 12:50:09 am »

First Discworld for me was The Colour of Magic. (I mostly read them in numerical order.)
Another (mostly) standalone one is Thief of Time.

Oh no, Rolan has fallen for their glamour. Bring out the frying pan. This is why you should always carry a piece of cold iron with you.

Would iron rimmed glasses fully protect from the glamour? Can elves cross the rails? These and other questions should be answered.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #144371 on: April 19, 2019, 12:51:10 am »

Apparently there was a lot of art in there being restored.

Guess We'll just have to find out what the total damage is after everything is over.

For the record, this was precisely the opposite of the truth--all the art was removed at the time due to the restoration.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #144372 on: April 19, 2019, 09:09:05 am »

Is it me, or was Bay12 entirely inaccessible for the last hour or so?
Judging by the last post that wasn't this one, the servers went down around 7:30 pm GMT+8 or 6:30 am Default Forum Time.

EDIT: I'll dump everything I know about the first and second outage. All times in GMT+8, rounded to nearest five minutes. All times are estimates. The first started at around 7:45 pm (last post rounded to 5 minutes + 5 minutes), ending around 10:10 pm. The second started around 10:15 pm, entering maintenance mode at 01:25 am, ending at 2:00 am. (Time displayed is 01:57:35 am).

The first outage lasted 2 hours 25 minutes.
The second lasted 3 hours 45 minutes.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 07:19:23 pm by methylatedspirit »

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144373 on: April 19, 2019, 09:12:22 am »

Seems like B12 was down for about 2.5hours.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #144374 on: April 19, 2019, 02:35:41 pm »

504 errors are a glitch in the Matrix. They mean Toady has changed something. Usually that means nuking a thread, but there isn't anyone newly banned in the moderation log, so it's anyone's guess.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.
Pages: 1 ... 9623 9624 [9625] 9626 9627 ... 10983