Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9694 9695 [9696] 9697 9698 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13188158 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #145425 on: June 11, 2019, 10:35:36 am »

Win10 gives you the opportunity to use a PIN instead of a password. So that I ... am able to have a password only four characters long, if I so wish. What's the point of this, Microsoft? Why would you add an explicitly less secure way of logging into my computer?

Windows 10 is supposed to be the same OS for both desktop and mobile for some reason, and my android phone does have PIN as one of the options for unlocking. Basically, you'd use a PIN rather than a password because it's easier to unlock on a little touch screen when you have just the numpad rather than a full keyboard. It's probably not intended to be used when you're logging into your computer.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145426 on: June 11, 2019, 11:06:18 am »

Win10 gives you the opportunity to use a PIN instead of a password. So that I ... am able to have a password only four characters long, if I so wish. What's the point of this, Microsoft? Why would you add an explicitly less secure way of logging into my computer?

Windows 10 is supposed to be the same OS for both desktop and mobile for some reason, and my android phone does have PIN as one of the options for unlocking. Basically, you'd use a PIN rather than a password because it's easier to unlock on a little touch screen when you have just the numpad rather than a full keyboard. It's probably not intended to be used when you're logging into your computer.
this is one of many reasons that the same OS for both phone and computer is a stupid idea

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #145427 on: June 11, 2019, 01:15:05 pm »

I’m not sure if this is a city, county, or state thing, but apparently all the roadworks on all the routes into the nearest city (or... essentially the largest nearby town) need to be done simultaneously.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #145428 on: June 11, 2019, 01:25:15 pm »

That's not normal for you? It is here.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145429 on: June 11, 2019, 01:25:51 pm »

Sounds like my home city, only they always do that in time for the Christmas holidays.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145430 on: June 11, 2019, 03:04:07 pm »

I just saw an advertisement post pop up on Facebook. Some natural, green, raw, non-GMO, vegan, chakra-stabilized whatever healthy superfood... Then I looked closer.

It's a bag of bitter almond kernels. Literal poison. In a bag.

...Now for only $19.95!

EDIT: Just checked the seller's website. They also offer dietary supplements... $80 for a bottle of 500 capsules, 100mg of "the purest, highest quality" amygdalin in each.

Quick Google check says that adult lethal dose is between 50 and 300 mg.

Remember that time Airborne (vitamin C overdose to "cure" the cold virus) had to be reformulated, because some people died after taking the recommended dosage? It turns out the reason you have scientists design medicines instead of grade school teachers is that they know how to avoid killing paying customers (and usually do so).

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145431 on: June 11, 2019, 03:23:41 pm »

I gotta be honest I'd pay more for food if it actually provided chakra.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145432 on: June 11, 2019, 03:50:18 pm »

I’m not sure if this is a city, county, or state thing, but apparently all the roadworks on all the routes into the nearest city (or... essentially the largest nearby town) need to be done simultaneously.

You know my favourite thing? Toll roads seems to require a ton of roadworks, so the road I use to get to work is constantly under maintenance. In their defense I drive at night, so I think most of their work is from 10pm-4am. But yeah. Still costs me a toll, even though I literally lose time using that road.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #145433 on: June 11, 2019, 06:51:08 pm »

A GOOD WTF for once!

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/06/stardock-and-star-control-creators-settle-lawsuits-with-mead-and-honey/

The Star Control copyright has been settled...

By the two CEO selling one another honey and mead made from said honey. Seriously. One makes mead, the other likes bee-ing things, and they set up a trade in agreement for dropping the copyright bitching.

Honey. And. Mead.

It's medieval times all over again!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #145434 on: June 11, 2019, 08:20:22 pm »

A strange final settlement, but not really unexpected. Stardock was almost certain to lose eventually, but it would have cost the Toys From Bob guys an immense amount of time and money to get there. An agreement that allows Stardock to save face while giving up their attack is the obvious solution, and the real WTF is how long it took.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #145435 on: June 11, 2019, 09:18:29 pm »

I'm happy for them. This honestly some of the best gaming news I've heard in a while. Or at least, any gaming news unrelated to actually gaming I guess.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145436 on: June 11, 2019, 09:20:20 pm »

I'm so sick of this stupid Masterclass ads.
Come to think of it, why don't Youtube ads skip themselves by now?? It's 2019! I guess I might have to install adblock on this new laptop...   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145437 on: June 11, 2019, 10:18:17 pm »

It's always the Grammarly ones that make me upset.

"Do you suck at English, despite it being your primary language? Tired of having people ridicule you for not knowing how to use a comma? Use our software and write like an uptight librarian!"

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145438 on: June 11, 2019, 10:31:57 pm »

Come to think of it, why don't Youtube ads skip themselves by now??

They do, a certain amount of time after the ad finishes. The reason they don't skip automatically after the option to skip is given is that then interested watchers of the advertisement won't be able to get more than around a relatively short soundbite and might not have enough time to click the ad to learn more.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 10:34:30 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #145439 on: June 12, 2019, 01:41:09 am »

Fun fact: I once had to vouch that an Irish doctor moving to Australia was fluent in English despite English being her vernacular language.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 9694 9695 [9696] 9697 9698 ... 10983