Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9723 9724 [9725] 9726 9727 ... 9899

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 5500512 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #145860 on: January 16, 2019, 09:26:56 pm »

It's like proposing to store everything by the index of the bit of pi where the sequence starts. Sure, you can store "everything", but good luck finding the index you want.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145861 on: January 16, 2019, 09:45:53 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupper%27s_self-referential_formula

It's a formula where when you plot it, it contains a bitmap of the formula itself. Part of the graph is actually this:

... which is itself the formula used to generate the above image.

Which sounds like voodoo, until you have it explained: the formula generates all possible bitmaps of a certain size, going up the y-axis. So, you can find anything that can be pixellated by finding the right index not just Tupper's self-referential formula.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 09:47:33 pm by Reelya »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145862 on: January 16, 2019, 10:04:06 pm »

It's like proposing to store everything by the index of the bit of pi where the sequence starts. Sure, you can store "everything", but good luck finding the index you want.

You're a bit late to that particular party.

Presenting, the only filesystem that, by mathematical definition, violates every single intellectual property that was or will be. But, like you said, you have to find it first.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145863 on: January 16, 2019, 10:09:33 pm »

I'm guessing that the problem with that is that the index needed to indicate where some bit of information is ends up having just as many bits in it as the usable data.

So, if you want to use pi-fs to find the complete works of Shakespeare, you need to specific just as many bits (on average) as the actual length of the complete works of Shakespeare, just to get you past all the almost-complete-works-of-Shakespeare's that are in the "database".

To put it in simpler terms: say that you want to tell someone the index in pi at which a specific two-digit pattern appears. Since any two-digit value can be repeated (thus wasting "space"), then you need an index in excess of 2 digits to ensure that you can encode the value. It's a terrible storage system, since of you use 100 possible indexes, it can only ever return less than or equal to 100 distinct values.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 10:18:50 pm by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145864 on: January 16, 2019, 10:22:26 pm »

If searching over an infinite space, yeah. Finding an instance of your file in there becomes hard.

I had considered using a number entropy value to aid in setting bounds though.  Searching a space of lower entropy than that of your desired data is nonsense. 

As for the offset problem... Use a percentage with a double float, and a corrective integer to store it.  Won't be a problem until your files are many TB in size.

There are benefits to the linear progression method over finding your sequence in an irrational number. The linear sequence has easily computed repetition, which would aid file location.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145865 on: January 17, 2019, 11:32:05 am »

I got woken up by some mild discomfort... only to find that my entire right arm was completely paralyzed. Apparently I had been sleeping in just the wrong way that the blood flow to my arm was totally cut off, and its function was just gone. I'd cut off circulation to my limbs before, but this was the most severe case by far. I had to swing my body around and massage it with my left arm in order to will it back to life; it was a weird sensation only being able to move the tips of my fingers by the tiniest amount when I was concentrating on it so hard. I wasn't hurt at all, it just freaked me out.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145866 on: January 17, 2019, 01:34:07 pm »

Yeah that happens to me occasionally while sleeping on my side.

I'm more afraid of injuring myself trying to get up because it's locked in a weird position than I am of not being able to move it.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #145867 on: January 17, 2019, 02:33:00 pm »

Now imagine having that happen to you, and in a panic twisting around to figure out what happened to your arm only for it to swing free and smack you right the face. Brilliant way to wake up.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #145868 on: January 17, 2019, 05:17:47 pm »

Skyrim for the Xbone won't download mods and it's pissing me off.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Dig deep, build strong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145869 on: January 17, 2019, 05:33:14 pm »

Whenever you download Mods Anything onto Literally Any Console Or Games Hardware In ExistanceTM, thereís always a flat 99% chance it wonít work, and youíll never, ever find out why.
At least, this seems to be the message Iíve always gotten from life.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145870 on: January 17, 2019, 05:41:00 pm »

That's because it is a black box and walled garden all rolled up in one.

Can't let the Plebs know what goes on under the hood--- they might pirate the software, and that would make the publishers upset, and we cant have that, now can we?

(sarcasm)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145871 on: January 17, 2019, 06:00:46 pm »

Fallout 4 mods worked flawlessly even the ridiculously terribad ones.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145872 on: January 17, 2019, 06:07:23 pm »

You are misunderstanding me here.

Mods on those consoles, work through a walled garden/trusted endpoint, with a "locked up tighter than a nun's knickers" system of handshakes, crypto challenges, and mutually assured corporate trust policies.

You can't just dive in and "fix" it when some part of that rube-goldberg contraption breaks, like you can on the PC.

SO-- when it works-- Yeah it works.  But when it doesnt?  Well, too fucking bad-- pleb.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145873 on: January 17, 2019, 07:51:31 pm »

... I think you might be misunderstanding. They literally won't even start to download. It's like total systemic failure.
He's fucking with us.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145874 on: January 17, 2019, 08:04:50 pm »

Which is a failure of said rube-goldberg contraption.

And your one recourse? Sucks to be you, because you are not special enough to be able to circumvent that system. (And if you knew how, you are a filthy dirty pirate or something! I mean, the CHIC! Disabling a systemic distribution control system, and actually own your console! That's a violation of at least a dozen terms of use agreements, AND the DMCA! How DARE you!)

I mean, honestly--- Something that should be as simple as "Ok, fine- here's how to drop a mod into the system's drive, and then play with it." runs foul of "But it enables cheaters!" (in a single fucking player game! The horror!) and "My exclusive content! I wanted to monetize! WAAAAAH!"

Pages: 1 ... 9723 9724 [9725] 9726 9727 ... 9899