Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9767 9768 [9769] 9770 9771 ... 9811

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 5879757 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you 0cra_tr0per for the link
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #146520 on: August 16, 2019, 07:16:45 am »

Also, note that two people were posting in that thread promoting the game, but for the second account, he accidentally fell into first-person say "I" perfectly balanced the game in such-and-such a way. So it's clear the second account for a Mr Welcriel Wawdriqe was a sock puppet.

I think I ran into a fnord. There were two people promoting the game on bgdf? For the life of me, I can't find the other.

Also, glad to have provided you with just a bit of entertainment on this fine evening. I hope the book lives up to the hype though I have a suspicion that it won't.

What's a fnord?
Same question here
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment
Quote from: Naturegirl1999 IRL
*picks up pepper* “Look, a pickle” *puts down pepper* “wait, pickles and peppers are completely different instruments”
Moral of the story: Everyone has dumb moments, laugh at them

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dude abides.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146521 on: August 16, 2019, 07:45:39 am »

Wikipedia is your friend.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Just Skin And Bones
    • View Profile
« Reply #146522 on: August 16, 2019, 07:48:07 am »

fnord sounds like a fnord, to be honest.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
I track my running!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146523 on: August 16, 2019, 07:55:45 am »

Also, note that two people were posting in that thread promoting the game, but for the second account, he accidentally fell into first-person say "I" perfectly balanced the game in such-and-such a way. So it's clear the second account for a Mr Welcriel Wawdriqe was a sock puppet.

I think I ran into a fnord. There were two people promoting the game on bgdf? For the life of me, I can't find the other.

Also, glad to have provided you with just a bit of entertainment on this fine evening. I hope the book lives up to the hype though I have a suspicion that it won't.

What's a fnord?
Same question here

That. But for those who lack Wikipedia somehow, an explanation that is entirely too short and lacking in all kinds of context.

Fnords are everywhere. You can't see them. You were brainwashed in Kindergarten to not notice them and instead react with fear, preventing rational consideration of the work that the fnord is in/on. The government loves this.

I used it incorrectly in a manner attempting to be funny. I accepted that Reelya saw something but I didn't see it so obviously I must have been affected by a fnord.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146524 on: August 16, 2019, 08:25:53 am »

That. But for those who lack Wikipedia somehow
Explain please how can you have access to an online gaming forum but not wikipedia
I recently became a objectivist, I am reasonably certain that means all my opinions are now universal fact.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
  • Disdains the law
    • View Profile
« Reply #146525 on: August 16, 2019, 08:27:57 am »

The leisure goulag has very strict internet filters.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146526 on: August 16, 2019, 08:51:54 am »

Maybe Wikipedia is a fnord to some people, I don't know.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146527 on: August 16, 2019, 09:15:32 am »

In highschool I was taught wikipedia was not a credible source.

it wss the devil, and some teachers took a grade point off for daring to even cite it.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
I track my running!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #146528 on: August 16, 2019, 09:30:02 am »

That’s why you go to the references on Wikipedia and cite them instead.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody cared who I was until I found Sub-Wikis
    • View Profile
« Reply #146529 on: August 16, 2019, 09:34:15 am »

A fnord is a long, narrow, deep inlet of the sea between high cliffs, as in Norway and Iceland, typically formed by submergence of a glaciated valley.

DUH!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #146530 on: August 16, 2019, 09:44:25 am »

In highschool I was taught wikipedia was not a credible source.

it wss the devil, and some teachers took a grade point off for daring to even cite it.

It's usually reasonably credible, but not always, especially on divisive issues.

You definitely can't cite it, because it changes. The best you can do is a link and an access time, but that's still a bit jank because there's no guarantee that a future reader will be able to access it as it was at that time. The whole point of a citation is that someone reading whatever you wrote needs to be able to go "naaaah, that's a load of crock", check your reference, and either get rekt or transfer their grudge from you to the original purveyor of misinformation. Or some other reasonable motivation to look at your source material, like curiosity.

Anyway the point is that citing a Wikipedia page is like citing "The New York Times". What issue? Which article? By what author? The citation barely conveys any information. I'd be very tempted to dock points for citing Wikipedia, too. Hector's dead right: cite the same thing as Wikipedia cites. In fact, for a good explanation of why Wikipedia shouldn't be cited, read Wikipedia's citation guidelines. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Tu jee, veerey / Toofano se lad ke [Fight, brave one / Fight those internal storms and]
Tu jeet, veerey / Zakhmo se bhid kar bhi tu [Win, brave one / Weather those wounds and]
Firse uthega yaara [Rise once again]

Mel lives again! Fight monsters; fight crime; fight compound interest...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #146531 on: August 16, 2019, 11:42:25 am »

Haha yeah, citing Wikipedia is literally citing "Somebody on the internet said".  In most cases it's citing "Somebody on the internet said X Journal said" - so yeah, you should just cite the journal.

It's a useful compilation of citations and usually-correct information, but it's inherently unreliable.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146532 on: August 16, 2019, 11:48:12 am »

Well, usually Wikipedia is good as a jumping off point.  By the time I was regularly expected to cite my work I had access to various databases I was expected to pull from.

Never had to do too much in the way of citing physical works, and even though my university had a 9 story library I only ever used it to have sex in tbh.  Kind of regrettable, but . . . internet.
I track my running!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The universe is music and living's a dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146533 on: August 16, 2019, 12:26:22 pm »

In the library? Isn't that noisy?
Feel it pass through you. The cycle, they say.
Life, death, blood. The cycle of life. No way out.
Trapped, cornered, pained, bleeding. No choice now.
Let them see your claws. Let them see their cycle.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146534 on: August 16, 2019, 12:54:52 pm »

I mean, nine floors and all the various 'quiet rooms', bathrooms, staircases, elevators, and utility rooms is a lot of rooms.
I track my running!
Pages: 1 ... 9767 9768 [9769] 9770 9771 ... 9811