Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9768 9769 [9770] 9771 9772 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13173177 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #146535 on: August 12, 2019, 06:10:39 am »

No arguments with yourself
I do believe it is indeed possible to argue with yourself, I've been doing that for years, and only now it's starting to fuck with me.
Tangentially related: How do I get my brain to shut up without drugs? How do I meditate? How do I relax?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146536 on: August 12, 2019, 06:16:00 am »

No arguments with yourself
I do believe it is indeed possible to argue with yourself, I've been doing that for years, and only now it's starting to fuck with me.
Tangentially related: How do I get my brain to shut up without drugs? How do I meditate? How do I relax?
I have the same question. It is hard for me to sleep because I constantly think about random things

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #146537 on: August 12, 2019, 06:36:55 am »

Make yourself comfortable in a position you won't feel the need to change and that won't distract you. Some people suggest keeping your eyes open and facing a blank wall, but that's never done it for me. Once you're comfortable, focus on your breathing. Keep a steady rhythm - I personally gravitate towards a six-count in and out, but I have no real idea why or what works for different people.

The difficult part is to then try and consciously relax. Every time you realise you're thinking about something, go back to focusing only on your breath. I personally can never actually clear my mind - there's always something running through the back of my head - but I can at least put the brakes on most conscious thought.

Any time I try and completely empty my mind or think about nothing at all I find it to be a fool's errand because I start to think about thinking about nothing and it gets weird and annoying, so I just stick with resetting to the breath pattern instead. It's enough of a hook for my focus to stop it wandering too far, but not so much that I'm having to think hard about it.

YMMV. This is my experience from... I dunno, a decade or more of trying to meditate and never getting it to work quite as down pat as people seem to suggest is easy. Perhaps I shall never ascend unto nirvana as the Buddha did, but that's fine by me because I'm not a Buddhist. :P

Handy alternative breathing regulation tool: https://ibb.co/cxNDAy

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146538 on: August 12, 2019, 06:55:02 am »

Make yourself comfortable in a position you won't feel the need to change and that won't distract you. Some people suggest keeping your eyes open and facing a blank wall, but that's never done it for me. Once you're comfortable, focus on your breathing. Keep a steady rhythm - I personally gravitate towards a six-count in and out, but I have no real idea why or what works for different people.

The difficult part is to then try and consciously relax. Every time you realise you're thinking about something, go back to focusing only on your breath. I personally can never actually clear my mind - there's always something running through the back of my head - but I can at least put the brakes on most conscious thought.

Any time I try and completely empty my mind or think about nothing at all I find it to be a fool's errand because I start to think about thinking about nothing and it gets weird and annoying, so I just stick with resetting to the breath pattern instead. It's enough of a hook for my focus to stop it wandering too far, but not so much that I'm having to think hard about it.

YMMV. This is my experience from... I dunno, a decade or more of trying to meditate and never getting it to work quite as down pat as people seem to suggest is easy. Perhaps I shall never ascend unto nirvana as the Buddha did, but that's fine by me because I'm not a Buddhist. :P

Thanks, I can try this tonight

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146539 on: August 12, 2019, 08:06:21 am »

WTF I call my ISP's support line and ask them to assign me a new IP address and they are saying I need to contact my router manufacturer, or that I need to be looking at 10.x.x.x.

WTF?  I just need them to clear their DHCP server and push a new address to me...

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146540 on: August 12, 2019, 08:40:13 am »

That really sucks, kagus. You should just do like me and sit around and be lonely all the time but never do anything about it
I'm in this and I don't like it

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146541 on: August 12, 2019, 09:59:22 am »

I find that whenever I have thoughts that are keeping me up, I find it best to try to write them down. When you put it on paper, you tell your mind that it doesn’t have to worry about holding onto it anymore and that you can always come back to it tomorrow. It may seem like a lot of work, but it’s not like you were going to spend that time on anything else. Best case scenario, the physical act of writing will tire you out and put you to sleep that way.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #146542 on: August 12, 2019, 10:25:02 am »

I probably could try, but these thoughts of mine aren't strong enough to be coherent most of the time— they get drowned out by whatever I'm doing, which is why these intrusive thoughts tend to happen at night and when I have nothing to do.

That, or I'm completely misunderstanding you; quetiapine is one hell of a drug, and I'm currently on it.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146543 on: August 12, 2019, 12:19:59 pm »

I used to do this (varied for myself) but for different reasons. Practice helped me get better.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #146544 on: August 12, 2019, 02:45:51 pm »

If you have trouble "de-focusing" on your thoughts, the thing I've found most helpful is the "concentrate on your own body parts" method. Just start by thinking about your toes and then slowly move your focus up towards the head, focusing on where every limb is, how it feels, and how it feels around it in the room so to speak.

That really sucks, kagus. You should just do like me and sit around and be lonely all the time but never do anything about it
I'm in this and I don't like it

If only there where some way to help our troubles together....
Love, scriver~

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #146545 on: August 12, 2019, 03:30:13 pm »

Bay12 Meetup when?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #146546 on: August 12, 2019, 03:37:29 pm »

Dwarf Moot 2019 confirmed

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146547 on: August 12, 2019, 03:45:52 pm »

"We have all agreed.... you are not elves"

"Well that's good news"
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146548 on: August 12, 2019, 03:58:05 pm »

Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #146549 on: August 12, 2019, 05:23:06 pm »

"We have all agreed.... you are not elves"

"Well that's good news"

What about NRDL?
Pages: 1 ... 9768 9769 [9770] 9771 9772 ... 10983