Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9770 9771 [9772] 9773 9774 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13146112 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #146565 on: August 14, 2019, 10:17:26 am »

You could also be emotionally divorcing yourself from your feelings, because you don't want to deal with them. I spent years learning how to feel again, and now I'm dealing with the ever-so-slightly unfortunate side effect of actually feeling.

I suppose the difference is; do you actually feel happy as well? Or do things just not "get you down"? Not-explicitly-negative doesn't necessarily mean positive, there are neutral states as well. And, y'know, depression is known to contribute heavily to that kind of "numbing". As can growing up with the miscommunications and lack of outside understanding that comes with being on the spectrum.

Then again, there are of course outliers. I don't know about natural-born stoics, but aromantics are a thing (albeit vanishingly rare), and there are probably some other uncommon designations that could explain things...  Or we could take the simple explanation, which is that you just can't empathize with faceless strangers on the internet enough to really care about what they say they're going through. It'd be like a peasant ingame telling you about how miserable he is after his entire family burst into flames; it's simply too removed an "entity" that you can't relate to it and therefore have no emotional connection.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #146566 on: August 14, 2019, 10:40:49 am »

I wish I was less aromatic
Love, scriver~

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #146567 on: August 14, 2019, 10:41:50 am »

The local ice cream shop has a poster that says, paraphrased "money can't buy happiness, but it can buy ice cream, which is pretty much the same thing" I'm less affected by abstract happiness or sadness, but good food and other treats make me feel good, which is good enough for me. This is one of the reasons I wish that I had a job, of course. But the many times that I haven't gotten a job at some place due to things seemingly beyond my control are more just tiring than truly sad.

Though... I guess there are a few times my shell got cracked. Like that one time I slingshot wildly between crying and feeling fucking nothing every few seconds. Yeah, I'll admit that was trippy. But it only happens when a bunch of stress comes at once, and the rest of the time stoicism seems to be both what comes naturally and the best choice overall. At least a stoic theoretically is mostly functional in a bad situation, which I guess is still what I'm in.

Also, I definitely can emphasize with strangers on the internet enough to know they're suffering, and wish I could do something about it. People here aren't just random videogame NPCs, they're people who I remember, and people whose thoughts I read every day. I'd like to help, and I can't. Perhaps my aspie social skills just aren't up to the task.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #146568 on: August 14, 2019, 11:03:19 am »

Grass is always greener on the other side, innit?

real, really really dumb question- do aromantic people feel touch-starved? I understand of course that you can separate romance from physical closeness, but I want to understand better where the two intersect, or where it may be a struggle.
I am pretty sure that scriver said "aromatic", not "aromantic". To which I suggest a good deodorant or maybe perfume.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146569 on: August 14, 2019, 11:03:47 am »

Ninja'd, I guess.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146570 on: August 14, 2019, 11:04:38 am »

real, really really dumb question- do aromantic people feel touch-starved? I understand of course that you can separate romance from physical closeness, but I want to understand better where the two intersect, or where it may be a struggle.
I am pretty sure that scriver said "aromatic", not "aromantic". To which I suggest a good deodorant or maybe perfume.
I also misread that.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #146571 on: August 14, 2019, 11:15:10 am »

Let's be honest, we're all stupid most of the time.
By which I mean that I also misread that! :V

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146572 on: August 14, 2019, 11:28:16 am »

::trollface::
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #146573 on: August 14, 2019, 11:47:46 am »

That's Swedes for ya... Their smell just kinda sneaks up on ya.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146574 on: August 14, 2019, 11:52:15 am »

So apparently the new Firefox version just installed itself on my computer without asking. And you no longer get all your settings and shit automatically transferred and it requires a "Firefox account". And it didn't even uninstall the old version apparently because I'm still using it to write this.

So I guess it's time to stop using Firefox now. I dunno where to go to though.
Love, scriver~

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #146575 on: August 14, 2019, 11:53:19 am »

I get the option to stop it.  i usually just let it go though
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146576 on: August 14, 2019, 11:56:18 am »

So apparently the new Firefox version just installed itself on my computer without asking. And you no longer get all your settings and shit automatically transferred and it requires a "Firefox account". And it didn't even uninstall the old version apparently because I'm still using it to write this.

The folks behind Linux make a free Firefox clone.(philosophically and monetarily)
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146577 on: August 14, 2019, 11:58:51 am »

The folks behind Linux make a free Firefox clone.(philosophically and monetarily)

I don't trust Swedes though

I get the option to stop it.  i usually just let it go though

But bloat
Love, scriver~

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #146578 on: August 14, 2019, 12:00:00 pm »

Its true they have  . . . smells, but i dont think that can get you through your monitor scriver
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146579 on: August 14, 2019, 01:00:43 pm »

Palemoon or Waterfox?
Pages: 1 ... 9770 9771 [9772] 9773 9774 ... 10980