Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9778 9779 [9780] 9781 9782 ... 9817

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 5898019 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #146685 on: August 25, 2019, 06:34:36 am »

Real tacos are called tortillas and made in your kitchen
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146686 on: August 25, 2019, 07:37:51 am »

Tacos are made with tortillas, and yes, home-made ones ARE the best ones.

(The place I linked the menu to makes their own tortillas. There's a reason why despite being a tiny place, it gets 5 stars.)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146687 on: August 25, 2019, 08:51:27 am »

The US is the strange one, vis-a-vis "Jelly"

Pretty much every other english speaking country calls what we call "Jelly", "Jam."

Here in the US, "Jam" has a special meaning; It's got bits of fruit in it, where Jelly does not. In the UK (and most english speaking countries), both are "Jam".   
In the US, we take it even further, and have an ADDITIONAL name for the stuff, if it also has the seeds in it. "Preserves".  Again, In the UK and co, "Jam".

The reason USA is the odd one out is that Jell-O is actually a trademarked name, but it spread to be the generic name. In the rest of the English speaking world we never had "Jell-O" so the name stayed as the generic jelly, which is a name going back to at least the 1700s. The hyphen in the term "Jell-O" is the giveaway that the name itself was derived from the word "jelly" in the first place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jell-O
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelatin_dessert#History
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 09:00:19 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146688 on: August 25, 2019, 09:12:47 am »

The US is the strange one, vis-a-vis "Jelly"

Pretty much every other english speaking country calls what we call "Jelly", "Jam."

Here in the US, "Jam" has a special meaning; It's got bits of fruit in it, where Jelly does not. In the UK (and most english speaking countries), both are "Jam".   
In the US, we take it even further, and have an ADDITIONAL name for the stuff, if it also has the seeds in it. "Preserves".  Again, In the UK and co, "Jam".

The reason USA is the odd one out is that Jell-O is actually a trademarked name, but it spread to be the generic name. In the rest of the English speaking world we never had "Jell-O" so the name stayed as the generic jelly, which is a name going back to at least the 1700s. The hyphen in the term "Jell-O" is the giveaway that the name itself was derived from the word "jelly" in the first place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jell-O
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelatin_dessert#History

Which is nothing I did not already know:

For me, that stuff is called "Jello".  (It's the major name brand for the product, which gained traction as the name for the desert, even though the desert is FAR older than the jello company. Jello made it easy to make, with the convenient "Add hot water then cool" packets, which transformed it from a thing only very rich people who could afford a dedicated cooking staff ate, into a commodity dessert.) I suppose more properly, it's a "Gelatin dessert". But everyone just calls it Jello.  "Jelly" is the stuff you put on toast.  For you, that's "jam."

This "Same word, very different meaning" leads to utter disgust when the topic of "Peanut butter and jelly" comes up.  Americans are like "Oh yeah, I ate that all the time as a kid" and people in the UK go "What the bloody hell is wrong with those Yanks?"

:P

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146689 on: August 25, 2019, 09:26:16 am »

Sorry, there were several intervening pages of posts between the quote i was responding to and that one. I didn't double-check every single post.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #146690 on: August 25, 2019, 10:28:36 am »

Ah yes, the Jello desert... Considerably smaller than the Sahara, but far more treacherous.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • Make birds speedrun again
    • View Profile
« Reply #146691 on: August 25, 2019, 11:08:13 am »

Ah yes, the Jello desert... Considerably smaller than the Sahara, but far more treacherous.
Remember to walk irregularly when crossing the Jello desert, lest you attract the attention of the gummy worms.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Does a Laconian believe they descend from Achilles? Does an anon believe a greentext happened? Does a child believe in air? We choose the fake news we want. The eternal memri.tv

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • You let the sun shine into your heart, but the blo
    • View Profile
« Reply #146692 on: August 25, 2019, 11:13:14 am »

Well, last time I ate at Taco Bell, I nearly died of food poisoning. The times before that the tortillas tasted like they were wrapped in plastic, the meat had a in-the-fridge-for-a-week waxy greasiness, and the vegetables were simply missing.

When I said that Taco Bell food was borderline poison, I was speaking literal truth.

Okay, that's your experience. I've had that food probably many more times than you have, considering the fact that I like it and you're poisoned by it, and every time it's tasted acceptable and not poisoned me in any way.
Good or bad, may whatever happens be beautiful.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #146693 on: August 25, 2019, 11:33:41 am »

The most devious of poison. It went back in time and poisoned your grandfather.
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146694 on: August 25, 2019, 03:07:18 pm »

Food critics defend Taco Bell, label it "acceptable" "edible" and "not poison".

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • Not having personal text in currentyear
    • View Profile
    • Realtalk for a second
« Reply #146695 on: August 25, 2019, 03:24:22 pm »

Well, last time I ate at Taco Bell, I nearly died of food poisoning. The times before that the tortillas tasted like they were wrapped in plastic, the meat had a in-the-fridge-for-a-week waxy greasiness, and the vegetables were simply missing.

When I said that Taco Bell food was borderline poison, I was speaking literal truth.

Okay, that's your experience. I've had that food probably many more times than you have, considering the fact that I like it and you're poisoned by it, and every time it's tasted acceptable and not poisoned me in any way.

It's anecdotal either way. Every time I've eaten at McDonalds they've given me raw meat. Doesn't mean every burger or nugget they serve is a manufacturing defect.

Cake
Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you 0cra_tr0per for the link
    • View Profile
« Reply #146696 on: August 25, 2019, 04:24:46 pm »

It's anecdotal either way. Every time I've eaten at McDonalds they've given me raw meat. Doesn't mean every burger or nugget they serve is a manufacturing defect.
What McDonalds were you at that consistently gave raw meat?
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment
Quote from: Naturegirl1999 IRL
*picks up pepper* “Look, a pickle” *puts down pepper* “wait, pickles and peppers are completely different instruments”
Moral of the story: Everyone has dumb moments, laugh at them

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146697 on: August 25, 2019, 04:41:42 pm »

What McDonalds were you at that consistently gave raw meat?
Also, why would you keep going there?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Th4DwArfY1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #146698 on: August 25, 2019, 04:46:28 pm »

Flying Dice confirmed as Werewolf, get yer silver bullets here.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  Th4DwArfY1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Just Skin And Bones
    • View Profile
« Reply #146699 on: August 25, 2019, 06:00:44 pm »

If you shoot them you cant get bit and live.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
I track my running!
Pages: 1 ... 9778 9779 [9780] 9781 9782 ... 9817