Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9788 9789 [9790] 9791 9792 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13189173 times)

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #146835 on: August 29, 2019, 03:21:00 pm »

If it is the same SIM then quite likely. Or it is the default date for some reason.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146836 on: August 29, 2019, 06:38:37 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 11:22:54 am by dragdeler »
let

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #146837 on: August 29, 2019, 07:56:06 pm »

No, no, I don't think there was a period between rotary and letters-on-pad. Not worth mention, anyway.

In any case, whether there was or not is fairly irrelevant. That using letters as your phone number thing is bullshit and has been bullshit since day one. If someone's having to use a cipher to figure out what the hell to dial you done borked up. It is, indeed, not intuitive, never has been, and won't be until the day the letters are bigger than the numbers on the phone.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #146838 on: August 29, 2019, 08:24:25 pm »

There were letters on the numbers in the rotary phone days. This is because, before area codes, the country was divided into named telephone exchanges - BEechwood or MOhawk for example. This was done to make things easier to remember for people unused to memorizing long strings of numbers. So if, for example, you wanted to dial the very famous number "BEechwood 4-5789" (a hit song that was released shortly after the exchange system was abolished), you would dial 2345789, as "2" was "ABC" and 3 was "DEF". The use of them for advertising and such was an adaptation of what was already there.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #146839 on: August 29, 2019, 08:47:48 pm »

There were letters on the numbers in the rotary phone days. This is because, before area codes, the country was divided into named telephone exchanges - BEechwood or MOhawk for example. This was done to make things easier to remember for people unused to memorizing long strings of numbers. So if, for example, you wanted to dial the very famous number "BEechwood 4-5789" (a hit song that was released shortly after the exchange system was abolished), you would dial 2345789, as "2" was "ABC" and 3 was "DEF". The use of them for advertising and such was an adaptation of what was already there.
And likely successful because they kept right on printing 3-letter strings next to numbers on pad phones and cell phones right up into the early smartphone era. My prepaid flip-phone that I got last year still has them. The practice of "word" advertising numbers is dying out not only because of a decline in the use of calls but because so many people don't use a phone with a physical keypad at all.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #146840 on: August 29, 2019, 08:50:14 pm »

They keypad for my smartphone (iPhone... something or other) has letters on the numbers.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146841 on: August 29, 2019, 09:34:50 pm »

That using letters as your phone number thing is bullshit and has been bullshit since day one. If someone's having to use a cipher to figure out what the hell to dial you done borked up. It is, indeed, not intuitive, never has been, and won't be until the day the letters are bigger than the numbers on the phone.

Whatchu talking 'bout, it's not a cipher if the letters are written very conveniently on the things you're encoding them into. It's the very definition of intuitive.

You know what's not intuitive? Trying to remember a string of 10 completely arbitrary digits. You know those GOT JUNK guys ramming advertising everywhere? If I ever had an urge to get some guys to take my things and then pay them afterwards, 1-(800)-GOT-JUNK will pop immediately into my mind. And yes, my phone still has letters on the numbers, and it's a fairly modern iPhone.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #146842 on: August 29, 2019, 11:24:27 pm »

I never saw any of those phone numbers with words here in Russia... I also still have a flip phone. In 2019.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146843 on: August 29, 2019, 11:37:41 pm »

IIRC, the numbers have 3 letters each assigned to them, a bit like this:

1()  2(ABC) 3(DEF)
4(GHI) 5(JKL) 6(MNO)
7(PQRS) 8(TUV) 9 (WXYZ)
0()

Since Russian has (ahem) "More letters", this probably isn't feasible.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #146844 on: August 30, 2019, 12:00:40 am »

There are instead 4 letters to each number except 1 and 0, and the number 3 has 5.
Code: [Select]
1()     2(АБВГ) 3(ДЕЁЖЗ)
4(ИЙКЛ) 5(МНОП) 6(РСТУ)
7(ФХЦЧ) 8(ШЩЪЫ) 9(ЬЭЮЯ)
        0()
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146845 on: August 30, 2019, 04:19:18 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 11:22:59 am by dragdeler »
let

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #146846 on: August 30, 2019, 04:22:59 am »

When you cite the alphabet in cyrillic, is it in the "same order than our alphabet"?
What do you mean by "our alphabet"? The sounds and sound order differs from English, the first three sounds are "a", "b", and "v". The one Max listed is the correct Cyrillic Alphabet.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #146847 on: August 30, 2019, 04:27:49 am »

I can't read some of the less common Cyrillic characters because I'm a scrub, but the order is similar. There are quite a few in odd places ("V" as 3rd, "C" doesn't exist; "G" before "D", "F" after "U"), and obviously all the characters represented in Latin with compounds like "ch", "kh", "zh" add confusion, but the broad strokes are about as similar as I'd expect.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146848 on: August 30, 2019, 04:35:50 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 11:23:03 am by dragdeler »
let

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #146849 on: August 30, 2019, 04:43:32 am »

"ь" and "ъ" just mark the preceding letter as having a soft and hard sound, respectively, the former also provides a short pause.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.
Pages: 1 ... 9788 9789 [9790] 9791 9792 ... 10983