Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9793 9794 [9795] 9796 9797 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13149896 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #146910 on: August 31, 2019, 04:53:08 pm »

Power of 2, but not 2 itself, cause that’s just too obvious.

Cuz, you know, robots and computers and all that.

/s
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146911 on: August 31, 2019, 05:10:18 pm »

Sort of hoping they just go full silly with it and he like, punches the shit out of the digital manifestation of death and they're just like fine you're ok, I guess.

They made three movies and this is the 4th one. Also It's probably not called Matrix 4. It's probably going to be called Matrix Metaphorphosis or some such thing.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #146912 on: August 31, 2019, 05:13:13 pm »

Neo was present when Trinity died, so he could have uploaded a copy of her mind to the Matrix. Or she could just be appearing in flashbacks.

Neo could also be a Matrix ghost or flashback, but my guess is that the machines will clone him in an attempt to broker peace between the machines and a human uprising.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146913 on: August 31, 2019, 05:23:58 pm »

Can he just do that now, just be like hey I'm gonna fire your mind into the Matrix at range here we goooooo /mario?

Just to be clear I could sort of care less, they could be like "The whole world was secretly inside a second, secret Matrix" and i'd be like whatever man just let me see Neo beat the tar out of a suit.

I wanna try and figure it out anyway though.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146914 on: August 31, 2019, 06:02:24 pm »

They made three movies

Preeeety sure they did not...
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #146915 on: August 31, 2019, 06:05:42 pm »

Sort of hoping they just go full silly with it and he like, punches the shit out of the digital manifestation of death and they're just like fine you're ok, I guess.

They made three movies and this is the 4th one. Also It's probably not called Matrix 4. It's probably going to be called Matrix Metaphorphosis or some such thing.
What do you mean? This is only the second one, though it's a bit unusual to make a sequel this long after.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146916 on: August 31, 2019, 06:08:28 pm »

I'm ok with this.

Matrix 2 it is.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #146917 on: August 31, 2019, 06:13:28 pm »

No, no, it's like matrix five or six. There was the animated one, and then the video game! Plus the rest.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146918 on: August 31, 2019, 06:52:26 pm »

I'm trying to figure out who the intended buyers for that pc are, and I can't

Amstrad had largely been shoved out of the low-end home PC market by competition from Commodore and Sinclair,

This isn't true at all. Amstrad actually entered and already-crowded marketplace and quickly rose to be the third-biggest platform in the UK. They actually squeezed Sinclair out of the market. Commodore 64 and Spectrum launched in 1982 and had a huge head start. Amstrad launched in 1984, quickly rose to the #3 seller*, and by 1986 Sinclair ended up selling the entire Spectrum brand to Amstrad. So Amstrad came from nowhere and ended the 8-bit wars with about 70% market share in UK, and a lot of Europe, since they actually ended up owning the Spectrum brand as well. The Spectrum was then redesigned using Amstrad's design philosophy. See the Spectrum Plus 2.

Where they hit problems was in transitioning into 16/32 bit. But that's a common thing. Most companies failed this hurdle.

EDIT: * note the reason Amstrad succeeded in a market crowded with dozens of offerings. They were the masters of "bundling" and actually pioneered all-in-one stereos. They'd make "expensive looking" combined stereos, so you'd have a music system that looked like you had bought stacks of audio gear, but it was way easy to set up compared to the real thing, and much cheaper.

The Amstrad computer was designed similarly. The head of Amstrad noted that current low-cost computers were unprofessional looking things that you had to plug into a ton of peripherals and a TV. So you got shaky video out, fiddly wires, and you couldn't be using the device while the TV is in use. Amstrad realized they could bundle some components, stick a dedicated monitor on it, and design it with a more professional looking keyboard (Spectrum keyboards looked like a big calculator). So, you could game on it, it looked better due to crisp RGB out, and you could use it as a dedicated word processor in an office, much cheaper than shelling out for an IBM. There's no way you could hook up a commodore or spectrum to a TV in an office and expect people to use business apps on those.

EDIT2: Note, this is where later efforts such as the "Amstrad Mega PC" failed badly. While it had the "bundling" thing down right, where it failed horribly was in that it bundled things that had no reason to be together, and it completely failed where earlier Amstrad devices has succeeded: in understanding the normal person's use-case for different gear. They took the complexity out of setting up stereo component systems, or the complexity out of hooking up a home computer, while also doubling as a super-cheap alternative to either hifi component systems or a proper word processor. Sticking a Sega Genesis into an IBM PC doesn't meet those criteria. It's like bundling a toaster and and alarm clock, it might be cheaper than buying them separately, but there's no use case for that (why would you want to play Sega games at a desk?).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 08:03:15 pm by Reelya »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #146919 on: August 31, 2019, 07:57:11 pm »

There's no way you could hook up a commodore or spectrum to a TV in an office and expect people to use business apps on those.

Except, of course, for all the people who hooked a C64 to a Commodore 1702 or 1902 monitor via S-video and used them for this exact purpose, often with a Commodore CP/M cartridge to provide access to pretty much every major business app of the day. Using a C64 for business purposes was extremely common.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146920 on: August 31, 2019, 08:11:16 pm »

There's a big difference however. The Amstrad did 640x200 monochrome display with 80x25 text (which is effectively the same as an IBM CGA card in hi-res monochrome). Commodore didn't support such a mode. Also it has a 4 MHz processor vs the C64's 1 MHz processor. Which are you going to do word processing on? Sure, you could hook the C64 up to a better monitor, but it's still only 40 columns of text, so its usefulness for replicating a low-end IBM PC was more limited.

EDIT: the C64 definitely does 320x200 only, and there are modern projects with a bunch of hacks to try and get 80x25 text on that.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 08:25:13 pm by Reelya »

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #146921 on: September 01, 2019, 01:05:36 am »

Also, don't get me wrong, I can appreciate DF stories. It's just that I enjoy killing things as much as actual roleplaying. (Especially when playing while drunk IRL).
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #146922 on: September 01, 2019, 02:42:05 pm »

I too enjoy dismembering and killing things in DF. Or any other game.

It's very cathartic, sometimes.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 02:45:28 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146923 on: September 01, 2019, 04:29:42 pm »

New desk arrived today, after waiting two weeks after ordering it. It's... significantly smaller than expected. Particularly the shelves, which I wanted since this was one of the only computer desks I could find with shelves on the right-hand side. The middle shelf is big enough to only hold my router and modem, no idea what I can put on the bottom. It also doesn't sit evenly on the floor. Kinda wish I hadn't dismantled the old one before assembling it. One good thing about it is that the wood is pretty solid.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146924 on: September 01, 2019, 10:18:04 pm »

When one lacks access to IRL drama, Facebook drama with total strangers can hit the spot.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 9793 9794 [9795] 9796 9797 ... 10980