Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9803 9804 [9805] 9806 9807 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12998873 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #147060 on: September 10, 2019, 07:26:10 am »

Wicca Wicca Slim Shady

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147061 on: September 10, 2019, 07:46:31 am »

Neopagans disgrace the heritage more than anyone else, running around playing at religion and making a mockery of the beliefs and customs of my ancestors.
you think that’s bad you should see the neo-catholics
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #147062 on: September 10, 2019, 07:50:47 am »

Neopagans disgrace the heritage more than anyone else, running around playing at religion and making a mockery of the beliefs and customs of my ancestors.
Fuckers can't even pronounce "deus vult" properly, let alone end a man rightly...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #147063 on: September 10, 2019, 08:34:05 am »

Yeah. How dare they make a mockery of the primeval cow.

It is not about laughing about any of the silly stuff (for religions have much silly things to laugh at), it's about how they reappropriate culture and self-indulgently mis-/-depict our forebears. It's an insult to their memory.

Also the myth of the primeval cow is pretty beautiful from a symbolical perspective. Mytho-sociologically it's not silly at all.
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147064 on: September 10, 2019, 09:19:55 am »

It is not about laughing about any of the silly stuff (for religions have much silly things to laugh at), it's about how they reappropriate culture and self-indulgently mis-/-depict our forebears. It's an insult to their memory.
So what. Every major religion is a self-indulgent reappropriation of more or less ancient culture.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147065 on: September 10, 2019, 09:30:24 am »

So what. Every major religion is a self-indulgent reappropriation of more or less ancient culture.
Minor note here: I think what scriver is saying is that neopagans are culturally appropriating the original religion, which is generally considered "a dick move". We have this happen in the US as well with new age peeps and Native American religions.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #147066 on: September 10, 2019, 09:52:52 am »

Yup. Living religions like Christianity, Islam, Buddhism and Hinduism are not reappropriating cultures - they're modern expressions of a line of customs.

Neopagans are the opposite of that. They dig up the body of an ancient religion and wear it like it was fashion while going all "look at me, I'm a religion, herpa derpa durr".
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147067 on: September 10, 2019, 09:55:58 am »

Well, I suppose wearing a dusty corpse is better than taking a burlap sack, and turning it into a fashion statement-- A La, Scientology.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147068 on: September 10, 2019, 10:04:39 am »

Interesting note: many probably know this, but the word "pagan" actually means "villager" or "rustic", similar to "heathen", which mean from the heath, or open country. The story behind that is that Christianity spread between the cities, so the old religions were relegated to country areas, so pagan and heathen were blanket terms for those hillbillies who hadn't got with the hip new urban belief systems. That same thing is happening to Christianity now.

EDIT: Which makes it all the more ironic, that there are urban-types getting into neopaganism, and rejecting those country-folk and their stodgy Christianity, when the very pagan religions they're getting into were the crotchety country-folk of their day who refused to get on board with the latest city trends.

"pagan" religions are also heavily mis-represented because of the nature of the hold outs being those isolated country pockets. it's as if 1000 years from now you were studying Christianity and the only extant examples you had were a few remaining out of the way country churches and you didn't know anything about organized religion or the Catholic Church or the Crusades or anything.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 10:08:06 am by Reelya »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147069 on: September 10, 2019, 11:29:12 am »

Interesting note: many probably know this, but the word "pagan" actually means "villager" or "rustic", similar to "heathen", which mean from the heath, or open country. The story behind that is that Christianity spread between the cities, so the old religions were relegated to country areas, so pagan and heathen were blanket terms for those hillbillies who hadn't got with the hip new urban belief systems. That same thing is happening to Christianity now.

EDIT: Which makes it all the more ironic, that there are urban-types getting into neopaganism, and rejecting those country-folk and their stodgy Christianity, when the very pagan religions they're getting into were the crotchety country-folk of their day who refused to get on board with the latest city trends.

"pagan" religions are also heavily mis-represented because of the nature of the hold outs being those isolated country pockets. it's as if 1000 years from now you were studying Christianity and the only extant examples you had were a few remaining out of the way country churches and you didn't know anything about organized religion or the Catholic Church or the Crusades or anything.
Thank you for the information.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147070 on: September 10, 2019, 12:53:03 pm »

Fuckers can't even pronounce "deus vult" properly, let alone end a man rightly...

Doose Volt? :3
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #147071 on: September 10, 2019, 12:54:02 pm »

I always find myself wondering if the etymology of "pagan" is related to "paighan", Persian light infantry conscripts, or if it's just a coincidence.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147072 on: September 10, 2019, 12:54:56 pm »

I'd also heard Reelya's explanation before, so that's prob it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147073 on: September 10, 2019, 12:59:11 pm »

I always find myself wondering if the etymology of "pagan" is related to "paighan", Persian light infantry conscripts, or if it's just a coincidence.
I didn’t know this, either
Unexpected education is why I started watching this thread

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147074 on: September 10, 2019, 01:13:42 pm »

Doose Volt? :3

That would be "deuce volt."

deus is "Day-oose" (at least with US vernacular. UK seems to be "Day-uhs")
vult (I believe anyway) should be "Voolt", not "Volt" or "Vuhlt"
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 01:24:09 pm by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 9803 9804 [9805] 9806 9807 ... 10974