Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9804 9805 [9806] 9807 9808 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13174153 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #147075 on: September 10, 2019, 01:24:44 pm »

Interesting note: many probably know this, but the word "pagan" actually means "villager" or "rustic", similar to "heathen", which mean from the heath, or open country. The story behind that is that Christianity spread between the cities, so the old religions were relegated to country areas, so pagan and heathen were blanket terms for those hillbillies who hadn't got with the hip new urban belief systems. That same thing is happening to Christianity now.
And yet, Etymonline disagrees:
The religious sense is often said to derive from conservative rural adherence to the old gods after the Christianization of Roman towns and cities; but the word in this sense predates that period in Church history, and it is more likely derived from the use of paganus in Roman military jargon for "civilian, incompetent soldier," which Christians (Tertullian, c. 202; Augustine) picked up with the military imagery of the early Church (such as milites "soldier of Christ," etc.). Applied to modern pantheists and nature-worshippers from 1908.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147076 on: September 10, 2019, 01:25:21 pm »

deus is "Day-oose" (at least with US vernacular. UK seems to be "Day-uhs")
vult (I believe anyway) should be "Voolt", not "Volt" or "Vuhlt"

That fits with the Latin I know/remember.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #147077 on: September 10, 2019, 01:53:28 pm »

Interesting note: many probably know this, but the word "pagan" actually means "villager" or "rustic", similar to "heathen", which mean from the heath, or open country. The story behind that is that Christianity spread between the cities, so the old religions were relegated to country areas, so pagan and heathen were blanket terms for those hillbillies who hadn't got with the hip new urban belief systems. That same thing is happening to Christianity now.
And yet, Etymonline disagrees:
The religious sense is often said to derive from conservative rural adherence to the old gods after the Christianization of Roman towns and cities; but the word in this sense predates that period in Church history, and it is more likely derived from the use of paganus in Roman military jargon for "civilian, incompetent soldier," which Christians (Tertullian, c. 202; Augustine) picked up with the military imagery of the early Church (such as milites "soldier of Christ," etc.). Applied to modern pantheists and nature-worshippers from 1908.

...so it does derive from "paighan"? Being as Rome (especially the ERE, when that came about) was so embroiled in fighting Persia that they managed to merge a ton of their military concepts.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147078 on: September 10, 2019, 01:53:46 pm »

deus is "Day-oose" (at least with US vernacular. UK seems to be "Day-uhs")
vult (I believe anyway) should be "Voolt", not "Volt" or "Vuhlt"
The alphabet is phonetic - there should be no /i/ sound in deus. This is the Crusades period, so it's Medieval (ecclesiastical, church) Latin, hence all vowels should be long.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147079 on: September 10, 2019, 02:02:41 pm »

...so it does derive from "paighan"?
I don't see anything that'd suggest it does. As the dictionary entry says, it's a Latin word derived from 'pangere' - to fix, fasten.
Both could have the same PIE roots, conceivably. But I don't know the first thing about Persian language, let alone etymology.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147080 on: September 10, 2019, 02:11:32 pm »

Re: /I/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok_HG-0lNCA

I am not using that sound where stated.  Instead, /eɪ/ is used. As in "Day"

The confusion is on the u in the word.  I assert it should be long u, /juː/ (Like in huge), not short u, /ʌ/ (like in 'upholstery'). However, UK vernacular pronunciation of the word often uses the short sound on the u.

https://youglish.com/search/Deus/uk

for examples.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 02:18:40 pm by wierd »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147081 on: September 10, 2019, 04:37:36 pm »

Sorry, I think I misunderstood you - you were presenting modern anglicised pronunciation, i.e. how those neo-catholics who can't even end a man rightly say it. Not what was the period-specific correct way to say it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147082 on: September 10, 2019, 04:57:32 pm »

...so it does derive from "paighan"?
I don't see anything that'd suggest it does. As the dictionary entry says, it's a Latin word derived from 'pangere' - to fix, fasten.
Both could have the same PIE roots, conceivably. But I don't know the first thing about Persian language, let alone etymology.

your source say it's related to 'pangere', not derived from it:

mid-14c., "person of non-Christian or non-Jewish faith," from Late Latin paganus "pagan," in classical Latin "villager, rustic; civilian, non-combatant" noun use of adjective meaning "of the country, of a village," from pagus "country people; province, rural district," originally "district limited by markers," thus related to pangere "to fix, fasten," from PIE root *pag- "to fasten." As an adjective from early 15c

The link to the sense of fixing or fastening seems to have come via the usage of fixing district borders.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147083 on: September 10, 2019, 05:01:46 pm »

Right.

I sometimes get looked at funny even here in the states, when I say deus, because I try to use long vowel sounds exclusively, and they are used to hearing something like 'deeuhs', or some shit.

I was pointing out that the correct way (period), does not sound like the vernacular (way people typically say it). 

If we want to get REALLY picky, we could say that the /ju:/ sound is still WRONG, because that is a slurred vowel dipthong.

I'm really not sure which is more correct for the U sound, close-back, or close-central u. I tend to favor close-central.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #147084 on: September 10, 2019, 05:23:07 pm »

Neo-Pagans are... wierd. A lot of older Paganism has been completely lost to us, most Gods, traditions, beliefs, and all things in between have been entirely forgotten, lost, or misremembered. If you’re going to start a new religion, go ahead, but don’t cannibalize the corpses of bodies all buried in the same grave like that. You don’t know which Human flesh is coming from which mangled corpse, and bits of the bodies have been removed and used as evidence for why the people buried there were stupid/correct/evil/not in posession of enough limbs, and some of it has been replaced with bits from other decomposing bodies for some reason and honestly why are you sitting here in the woods eating Human flesh so rotten and covered in earth that honestly you’re really just eating bits of bone in the first place? There’s a massive buffet of Human flesh in the Human Flesh vendor over there anyway, so you’re sort of wasting your time. If you think that eating these bones will make a difference when someone eventually eats yours, then honestly I don’t know, the analogy’s broken down a bit.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147085 on: September 10, 2019, 05:26:58 pm »

They also add a lot of anachronistic stuff like Ley Lines then try and claim they're ancient knowledge, when the entire concept is only 20th century, and the attribution of any mystical power to them only dates to a book published in 1969.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ley_line

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #147086 on: September 10, 2019, 06:13:49 pm »

Y'all are being pretty intolerant of paganism, to be honest.

Sure, it's pretty much a revival of the past but... so what? The past is not untouchable, and as long as you admit you're adapting stuff or even adding in new elements it's not even disrespectful to folks' very very distant ancestors who probably would even appreciate that their faith is being revived.

And as a (hellenic) pagan who's talked to a lot of other pagans... new age stuff tends to be either ignored or laughed at. Ain't never seen anyone talk about ley lines. And even if they did, as long as they admitted it's a new addition I wouldn't care. Hell, quite a few things in Christianity (Bible literalism, for one) are 20th century concepts.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #147087 on: September 10, 2019, 06:30:15 pm »

To be fair, new age and pagan are two wholly different worldviews in my mind.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147088 on: September 10, 2019, 08:18:26 pm »

Neo-Pagans are... wierd. A lot of older Paganism has been completely lost to us, most Gods, traditions, beliefs, and all things in between have been entirely forgotten, lost, or misremembered. If you’re going to start a new religion, go ahead, but don’t cannibalize the corpses of bodies all buried in the same grave like that. You don’t know which Human flesh is coming from which mangled corpse, and bits of the bodies have been removed and used as evidence for why the people buried there were stupid/correct/evil/not in posession of enough limbs, and some of it has been replaced with bits from other decomposing bodies for some reason and honestly why are you sitting here in the woods eating Human flesh so rotten and covered in earth that honestly you’re really just eating bits of bone in the first place? There’s a massive buffet of Human flesh in the Human Flesh vendor over there anyway, so you’re sort of wasting your time. If you think that eating these bones will make a difference when someone eventually eats yours, then honestly I don’t know, the analogy’s broken down a bit.

I'm not sure where this metaphor is going, but we're all disappointed it doesn't mention Kuru.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147089 on: September 10, 2019, 08:40:22 pm »

Who/what is Kuru!
Pages: 1 ... 9804 9805 [9806] 9807 9808 ... 10983