Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9807 9808 [9809] 9810 9811 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13172429 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #147120 on: September 11, 2019, 11:43:18 am »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #147121 on: September 11, 2019, 11:58:38 am »

Again, the only tool we have is government, which is organized use of force-- AKA, authoritarianism.

I don't know where you get organized force == government == authoritarianism. That's kind of a huge stretch. Democracy is founded on the idea that the leadership is beholden to the people. Hence the voting system. It's been perverted sure, but a democratic system is in no way authoritarian.

But if we wanna keep this going we can move to Ameripol or similar. This is the wtf thread.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147122 on: September 11, 2019, 12:03:55 pm »

It's simple.

A large civilization can only exist if its laws are enforced.  Imagine a place like NewYork City, without police.

What are police officers? The bottom rung enforcers for the government; The arbiters of that use of force.  The thing here that you are NOT grasping--- More people will be OPPOSED to communism's needed reforms, than would be in favor of it, because it is NOT the natural predilection for humans to hold the necessary views.  Getting humans to override their base impulses is very hard; See for instance, getting diabetics to lay off the sweets.

Visionaries often times neglect to appreciate that biology is very much a part of this problem.  you can't just ignore it, or expect to treat it satisfactorily with education alone. Imposing communism is about at the same level as imposing veganism.  Yeah, there are people who are mentally dedicated to being vegan.  They are not a majority.

The difference between "amiable rule of law" and "Tyranny", is the percentage of the population that agrees with the policies being enforced. Nothing else. Democracy helps to ensure the former, by enabling the majority of the population to define the parameters, rather than a dictator.  Again though, the problem you will have, is that most people WILL NOT WANT the needed changes of communism; Their internal biological programming will be too strong to override with pure reason.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 12:08:49 pm by wierd »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147123 on: September 11, 2019, 12:13:21 pm »

Clearly the solution, as it always is, is to upload humanity into computers, therefor removing the body from the equation

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147124 on: September 11, 2019, 12:14:51 pm »

For this, we need Brain Computer Interface, and Computer Brain Interfac

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147125 on: September 11, 2019, 12:27:10 pm »

No, that just invents cyberpunk dystopia.

The best solution is to accept that it cannot happen quickly, but to still keep pressure on at levels that are endurable, and which illicit real and effective change and pressure for humans to adapt and grow.  Sustain that long enough, and humans will catch up, and naturally transition to true communism.

You have to accept that your desire for "In my lifetime!" is just your OWN manifestation of that selfish program running inside you, and tell it no.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #147126 on: September 11, 2019, 12:28:38 pm »

I don't know where you get organized force == government == authoritarianism. That's kind of a huge stretch. Democracy is founded on the idea that the leadership is beholden to the people. Hence the voting system. It's been perverted sure, but a democratic system is in no way authoritarian.

But if we wanna keep this going we can move to Ameripol or similar. This is the wtf thread.

Any stable political system needs a way to enforce its policies/laws so it's inherently authoritarian to some degree. In democratic systems there is, nominally at least, a separation of powers but the lines are usually blurry enough that any government can abuse its power.

More importantly the major (philosophical) argument about how authoritarian is a democracy comes from what is the source of its power. The "will of the people" is often translated in law, with a constitutional article that allows any of the people to use deadly force against any and all persons that threaten to dissolve said constitution in an unlawful way. Which can be boiled down to "we don't like what you are saying/doing, we find it threatening, so we kill you".
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147127 on: September 11, 2019, 12:51:15 pm »

The best solution is to accept that it cannot happen quickly, but to still keep pressure on at levels that are endurable, and which illicit real and effective change and pressure for humans to adapt and grow.  Sustain that long enough, and humans will catch up, and naturally transition to true communism.

You have to accept that your desire for "In my lifetime!" is just your OWN manifestation of that selfish program running inside you, and tell it no.
Agreed

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147128 on: September 11, 2019, 12:55:11 pm »

Agreed

Cyberpunk dystopias are the coolest kind of dystopia, just ask Keanu Reeves.

I'll ask for this.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147129 on: September 11, 2019, 01:30:03 pm »

Agreed

Cyberpunk dystopias are the coolest kind of dystopia, just ask Keanu Reeves.

I'll ask for this.
To be clear I am agreeing to the non dystopia solution

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #147130 on: September 11, 2019, 01:34:41 pm »

Slay the Spire was like the last place I think I was expecting to see a Kill Six Billion Demons shoutout. Newest character has a card called "Reach Heaven", which on top of a bit of damage shuffles the card "Through Violence" into your draw pile.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147131 on: September 11, 2019, 03:14:32 pm »

Slay the Spire was like the last place I think I was expecting to see a Kill Six Billion Demons shoutout. Newest character has a card called "Reach Heaven", which on top of a bit of damage shuffles the card "Through Violence" into your draw pile.

The Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O thread was like the last place I think I was expecting to see a Slay the Spire update.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147132 on: September 11, 2019, 04:28:43 pm »

My internet provider apparently decided to wipe my saved payment information without any kind of warning. Caused a slight... issue with paying the bill, but I think it's sorted out now.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #147133 on: September 11, 2019, 04:49:42 pm »

So, is there an actual reason Flash won't be supported anymore?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #147134 on: September 11, 2019, 04:55:11 pm »

So, is there an actual reason Flash won't be supported anymore?

Too much of a security risk, I think. Flash is really good at accessing your computer through the internet.
Pages: 1 ... 9807 9808 [9809] 9810 9811 ... 10983