Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9821 9822 [9823] 9824 9825 ... 10044

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 6674488 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • Itís shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #147330 on: September 26, 2019, 05:42:03 pm »

Who says no to Mentone?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #147331 on: September 26, 2019, 08:07:03 pm »

Huh. Flywrench is an amazingly kinetic game. Design is actually kinda' incredible in some ways. Folks wanting to figure out how to make motion look like it has impact and weight should probably scope it out.

It also looks like it's fucking miserable to actually play. Treat to watch, though. Sound design seriously matches it, too. Wtf comes mostly from the dissonance of 'this looks awesome' and 'this would make me want to maim someone rather than play through' thing going on.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147332 on: September 27, 2019, 12:45:05 am »

Yes, I am aware that this is the case. But this is a problem with the business itself, not game streaming as a medium. If we return to my original post, you can see that I am talking about how I wouldn't be averse to streaming some games if it functioned like a rental service -- I'm not saying that that is how Google/Microsoft Streaming Service or any other such platform is going to work.

The most likely model would be that you pay per hour for the thing you're actually consuming: which is the CPU time on the high-end gaming rig. The better way to conceptualize this is to compare it to appliance rental services, the type that will rent you a fridge, TV, VCR etc. The content isn't what they're selling. This as I said replaces hardware costs. The costs of actual digital licenses are so low however, that you'll just pay per hour and have a library of choices. If they time-limit any particular game, then you might be excluded from playing what you want when you want, and thus they lose money, so they won't actually do that.

The way it'll work is that you might have to pay for a license for any specific game, but once it's in your library, it'll be there forever. but you pay the hourly rate for hosting whatever you play on the service. They might have some cross-deal to cover licensing: such as, if you own a game on Steam, you have the right to stream it from the third company all you want, and they use your steam ownership as a sort of legal cover.

Sure, you are limited because you're paying per hour of play, but it's not actual a "rental" of the content. That would be like saying that because AOL used to charge per hour, they were renting websites to you.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 12:50:09 am by Reelya »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147333 on: September 27, 2019, 09:33:10 am »

Yes, I am aware that this is the case. But this is a problem with the business itself, not game streaming as a medium. If we return to my original post, you can see that I am talking about how I wouldn't be averse to streaming some games if it functioned like a rental service -- I'm not saying that that is how Google/Microsoft Streaming Service or any other such platform is going to work.

The most likely model would be that you pay per hour for the thing you're actually consuming: which is the CPU time on the high-end gaming rig. The better way to conceptualize this is to compare it to appliance rental services, the type that will rent you a fridge, TV, VCR etc. The content isn't what they're selling. This as I said replaces hardware costs. The costs of actual digital licenses are so low however, that you'll just pay per hour and have a library of choices. If they time-limit any particular game, then you might be excluded from playing what you want when you want, and thus they lose money, so they won't actually do that.

The way it'll work is that you might have to pay for a license for any specific game, but once it's in your library, it'll be there forever. but you pay the hourly rate for hosting whatever you play on the service. They might have some cross-deal to cover licensing: such as, if you own a game on Steam, you have the right to stream it from the third company all you want, and they use your steam ownership as a sort of legal cover.

Sure, you are limited because you're paying per hour of play, but it's not actual a "rental" of the content. That would be like saying that because AOL used to charge per hour, they were renting websites to you.

The real fun of this comes from the way the creators get paid. If someone plays your game for an hour, you get paid for part of that hour. This somewhat incentivizes making a game more people want to play, but also incentivizes making games that take much longer to play. You know how you like fast travel, skippable cutscenes, and not needing to return to town every 5 minutes? Imagine if those were removed to make the game longer. And you got more of the "start the process, then go make a sandwich" gameplay? As long as someone sees money coming in, you'd have to lose a lot of fans to make up for increased revenue from increasing game length.
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147334 on: September 27, 2019, 11:40:27 am »

Oh shit. Gotta go sign up for a Stadia dev thing so I can be the first to port Biscuit Fondler.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #147335 on: September 27, 2019, 11:46:10 am »

Wait, so you're paying for the game, AND an hourly rate? Why the hell would anyone want this?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147336 on: September 27, 2019, 12:11:51 pm »

Wait, so you're paying for the game, AND an hourly rate? Why the hell would anyone want this?

My understanding is it's just the hourly rate.
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147337 on: September 27, 2019, 12:22:06 pm »

My understanding is it's just the hourly rate.

They've built the game cost into the hourly rate, so you are effectively paying for it. if they did charge you to add games to your streaming library choices, it would be at a cheaper rate than other services, since they only need just as many copies of the game as the peak amount of players.

As for why people would want it ... it's running on a server that's a fully optimized gaming behemoth. First, to get something actually that good it's say a $3000 up-front investment. THEN you have to expend time and effort to maintain it, you have to pay for electricity to run it, you have to spend time and money getting the physical games and installing them. And then, a year or two later, that rig you spent over $3000 on is obsolete, so you gotta research the latest gear, do it all over again, if you want to play the next latest game.

Say you spent 2.5 hours a day actually gaming, that's only 10% utilization of the actual gaming rig. So these streaming services could effectively offer you pricing for 2.5 hours a day of cutting-edge gaming that's around 10% the cost of actually owning that rig and playing it that much. Plus the amount of time you save dicking around.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #147338 on: September 27, 2019, 12:26:21 pm »

260 chapters in, legendary mechanic finally explains what the hell a shanu is!

It's apparently people born with conditionally glowing stripes on their body. Natural sci-fi tattoos, basically. So the main planet stuff is happening on has white, black, yellow, and random glowy tattoo people. Three colors and a shanu. Now I know.

Also the tats seem to be able to turn some of them into twelve foot tall combat giants. A'ight.

Spelling on shanu is impressively inconsistent, though. The people name or whatever it is (like Caucasian or whatev') is Shanuk! Sometimes! The more you know *rainbow*
Ask not!
Ask!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147340 on: September 27, 2019, 03:10:38 pm »

For sale: custom war machine, light battle damage

After the mess they made of the mecha fight, that the company is bankrupt is not so much a WTF as a happy from schadenfreude.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #147341 on: September 27, 2019, 03:31:42 pm »

Remarkably helpful sounding description, though. Promise of lots of spare parts, plenty of up-front warning about issues, breakdown of potential costs, etc. Everything else aside that's like an A-grade selling blurb for small scale second hand mecha.
Ask not!
Ask!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #147342 on: September 27, 2019, 03:59:44 pm »

So a popular news publication here in Norway recently did a piece talking about how the Green party was "demanding" that school lunches should be vegetarian.

My take on it was "Okay, so it'll most likely be less expensive overall (possibly helping lead to school lunch programs actually getting fucking implemented in the first place, which they aren't), more readily accommodating of religious/cultural differences and thereby again cut costs, and there's the side benefit of reducing processed/red meat intake and also maybe something about the environment. Sounds pretty decent to me, actually".

But there was a comments section. Oh lord, the comments section. You'd think the Greens were holding the government at gunpoint and demanding violent genital mutilation of all citizens, considering the responses being written to the suggestion that the school-provided lunches which don't even fucking exist yet should be meat-free by default.

Now, I'm not actually a big fan of the Greens... They have a tendency to act like idiots. But I don't think this move, of all things, should be enough to constitute outlawing the entire party; as some Facebook geniuses are trying to push.

No, no, this is not an attempt by the Green party to poison and malnourish your child, you fucking mong. It's five fucking meals a week. Your kid will survive.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #147343 on: September 27, 2019, 04:14:12 pm »

Does the "demanding" extend to the school lunches the kids take in themselves, or just the school's own lunches? I could see why people would be upset about the former, though not to this extent.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #147344 on: September 27, 2019, 04:22:29 pm »

Does the "demanding" extend to the school lunches the kids take in themselves, or just the school's own lunches? I could see why people would be upset about the former, though not to this extent.
Just the food provided by the school. Specifically, this is a demand being made of Labor's election promise of free school lunches... Which, again, don't exist yet.

So they're up in arms about the restrictions being placed on the free food they're not even getting.
Pages: 1 ... 9821 9822 [9823] 9824 9825 ... 10044