Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9894 9895 [9896] 9897 9898 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13170175 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #148425 on: November 07, 2019, 09:01:10 am »

It's also interesting because there really is no "right" position here - both positions have merit.  What concerns me most is that people take it as a personal affront that the movie makers have said "hey you know, this is not how we intended this movie to be presented" and somehow the desire of the viewer to watch however they want is somehow more virtuous than the desire of the movie maker to say "no".
Reasonable people can disagree about whether a work is best appreciated without speedup, sure.  The creators are taking a much more extreme position, outright denying consumer choice.  There's absolutely a right position there - consumers should be allowed, even facilated, to experience these works however they choose to.  As long as they aren't somehow harming others, there's no valid argument for this course of action.  It's nobody's job or right to force them to have the correct experience.

I don't really plan to use this feature, but it's most concerning to me that we're even considering these artists' demands as if they have any right to make them.  In my opinion it's obvious that they don't, and I've yet to see a case otherwise.  People can make compelling arguments that a show is better watched at 1X, and I mostly already agree, but why should consumers be denied the choice?

This is like always-online DRM, but worse because it has no pretense of protecting IP.  Only egos.
Agreed. No one is forced to change the speed, the option is there for those that wish to, it is optional

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148426 on: November 07, 2019, 09:02:41 am »

It's also interesting because there really is no "right" position here - both positions have merit.  What concerns me most is that people take it as a personal affront that the movie makers have said "hey you know, this is not how we intended this movie to be presented" and somehow the desire of the viewer to watch however they want is somehow more virtuous than the desire of the movie maker to say "no".
Reasonable people can disagree about whether a work is best appreciated without speedup, sure.  The creators are taking a much more extreme position, outright denying consumer choice.  There's absolutely a right position there - consumers should be allowed, even facilated, to experience these works however they choose to.  As long as they aren't somehow harming others, there's no valid argument for this course of action.  It's nobody's job or right to force them to have the correct experience.

I don't really plan to use this feature, but it's most concerning to me that we're even considering these artists' demands as if they have any right to make them.  In my opinion it's obvious that they don't, and I've yet to see a case otherwise.  People can make compelling arguments that a show is better watched at 1X, and I mostly already agree, but why should consumers be denied the choice?

This is like always-online DRM, but worse because it has no pretense of protecting IP.  Only egos.

When is Netflix going to give me screen brightener for when the director shot the battle scene with no fucking lights? As we all know, brightening it on the consumer-end has much better results than doing a professional job on the master copy where there's more information and losses can be minimized.

Also, what if we promise not to use it on artistic films Netflix has like...Dark Crystal and...

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148427 on: November 07, 2019, 09:03:34 am »

As long as they aren't somehow harming others
A different topic, but this is one of the more subtly dangerous philosophies out there...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #148428 on: November 07, 2019, 09:11:52 am »

When is Netflix going to give me screen brightener for when the director shot the battle scene with no fucking lights?

This is something Swedish television direly needs
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #148429 on: November 07, 2019, 09:46:59 am »

When is Netflix going to give me screen brightener for when the director shot the battle scene with no fucking lights?
"It'll look better on the Blu-Ray"

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #148430 on: November 07, 2019, 09:59:42 am »

Lets step back for a second

Do people really want nightcore versions of every movie?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #148431 on: November 07, 2019, 10:00:49 am »

Quentin Tarantino - Kill Bill [Nightcore Remix]

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #148432 on: November 07, 2019, 10:12:33 am »

i like nightcore sometimes don't @ me
(I want the right, anyway :P)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #148433 on: November 07, 2019, 10:22:01 am »

I don't, but I do want the choice of whether I want to watch 2x speed of a specific movie.
Oh, and by that, I do want the choice to take specific scenes back to 1x speed.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 11:09:41 am by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148434 on: November 07, 2019, 11:13:46 am »

No, but I do want speedmetal versions of most movies.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #148435 on: November 07, 2019, 11:15:34 am »

How to Train Your Dragonforce (2010)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148436 on: November 07, 2019, 11:20:46 am »

I want to see this, but can’t find it on YouTube, I have watched How to Train your Dragon, I’ve heard Through the Fire and Flames, I am curious what this would be

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148437 on: November 07, 2019, 01:20:46 pm »

I want to see this, but can’t find it on YouTube, I have watched How to Train your Dragon, I’ve heard Through the Fire and Flames, I am curious what this would be

It would be a mash-up of How to Train Your Dragon, the movie, and the band Dragonforce.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #148438 on: November 07, 2019, 01:38:00 pm »

Hiccupping at 200bpm

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #148439 on: November 07, 2019, 05:00:44 pm »

YT changed its layout out of the blue. And as is to be expected with pretty much all layout changes that get forced upon users these days, it is fucking shite. Gone are the neat rows of dubiously linked videos, now you get a smattering of obnoxiously large thumbnails with no rhyme or reason as to which are displayed in what order. It all reeks of being mobile friendly, which is fine if I was using the mobile app, but I'm not, I got a giant ass screen for a goddamn reason, so I could see more stuff more easily. Not so some shitty UX/UI designer who can't bear to have more than five things on his screen could push his idea of a 'good UI' on me.

Fucks sake, it's like the Steam UI update, except I can't just shove all the game launcher icons onto my start bar so I don't have to look at that thing any more than I have to.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 9894 9895 [9896] 9897 9898 ... 10983