Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9896 9897 [9898] 9899 9900 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13006272 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #148455 on: November 08, 2019, 01:15:09 pm »

Yeah, the news has prior art on that.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #148456 on: November 08, 2019, 01:29:58 pm »

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/ai-artificial-intelligence-dangerous-text-gpt2-elon-musk-a9192121.html

Jihadist Islamis

Gosh darn those Judicious Salamis and their computer-generated manifestos!
‘Member talktotransformer?
‘Member the generator spam thread?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #148457 on: November 08, 2019, 01:40:26 pm »

I think the problem is things like speeches can be altered to make people think that politicians, for example, said things that they actually didn’t

Like Iduno says, that's been done for millennia. It's common or garden fake news and libel. Editing speech, as in sound recordings, would be a more threatening prospect (and I'm certain it's been done, although I don't know how effectively).

But... generating text isn't something that enables anything that couldn't be done with humans before. Fake articles can be generated on a larger scale, I guess, but that's about it.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148458 on: November 08, 2019, 01:46:46 pm »

I think the problem is things like speeches can be altered to make people think that politicians, for example, said things that they actually didn’t

Like Iduno says, that's been done for millennia. It's common or garden fake news and libel. Editing speech, as in sound recordings, would be a more threatening prospect (and I'm certain it's been done, although I don't know how effectively).

But... generating text isn't something that enables anything that couldn't be done with humans before. Fake articles can be generated on a larger scale, I guess, but that's about it.
That’s what deepfakes do is they can edit audio.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148459 on: November 08, 2019, 01:49:08 pm »

"The Internet is the greatest threat to our Democracy." - Thomas Jefferson.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #148460 on: November 08, 2019, 01:51:52 pm »

"The Internet is the greatest threat to our Democracy." - Thomas Jefferson.
Do you have a link to the video?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148461 on: November 08, 2019, 02:06:31 pm »

Bloody sensationalism. There's already enough terrible things in the world to write about, you don't need to exaggerate trivial issues for the sake of content!
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #148462 on: November 08, 2019, 06:13:54 pm »

Finally got around to updating steam. Yup, that looks like ass. Gods alive I hope they have a revert/skin option at some point in the near future.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148463 on: November 09, 2019, 10:27:41 pm »

Tell me about it!

My wtf: had a crazy amount of dreams last night. Well, early this morning after I got home mildly drunk and watched South Park with my housemate.   
I've forgotten most of them now, but there were a lot.
Some were pretty interesting. Some were mildly unpleasant.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148464 on: November 09, 2019, 10:39:59 pm »

Tell me about it!

My wtf: had a crazy amount of dreams last night. Well, early this morning after I got home mildly drunk and watched South Park with my housemate.   
I've forgotten most of them now, but there were a lot.
Some were pretty interesting. Some were mildly unpleasant.
Have you been stealing dreams? I haven’t had any for the past week. I miss dreams. Hopefully I have at least one tonight

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #148465 on: November 09, 2019, 10:45:05 pm »

I actually heard that constantly remembering your dreams was a sign that you weren't getting enough quality sleep.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148466 on: November 09, 2019, 10:48:03 pm »

I actually heard that constantly remembering your dreams was a sign that you weren't getting enough quality sleep.
I thought that dreams meant you were getting sleep, maybe it was talking about REM, definitely talking about REM, which is the stage where dreams happen

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148467 on: November 09, 2019, 11:59:05 pm »

I think the stage of sleep where you dream (and remember them, I guess) is a lighter sleep.

Also I'll try to stop hoarding dreams, I promise! xD
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148468 on: November 10, 2019, 01:56:25 am »

Well the news is that they worked out why there have been a spate of vaping illnesses / deaths. Turns out that cannibis oil used in bootleg vapes was being cut with a variety of substances, and you could tell it was cut by seeing how viscous it was: the cut oil would be lighter

but then this guy found a substance to cut it with that had the right viscosity and color: vitamin e acetate, and marketed it as Honey Cut, making a whole lot of money selling to the underground THC vape cartridge market, effectively as a way to dupe the customers as to the potency of the product.

The only problem being that if you look at the Material Safety Data Sheets for vitamin e acetate it says not to inhale the stuff. They used vitamin e acetate to get around another company's patents, but apparently never bothered to check out any medical information about what they were selling, until after the deaths started, at which point Honey Cut's company quickly changed their LLC address to a post office box and can no longer be contacted.

We can pretty much say at this point that all the illnesses that started happening in early 2019 and the roughly 39 deaths are all due to that one guy who started Honey Cut. His name's Joshua Temple btw and expect to be hearing more about it. Even with the deaths they're saying that they can't 'technically' charge him, because of the stupid American laws about "supplements" being completely unregulated. Seriously.

Apparently articles say they're not considering banning the actual poison used in the Honey Cut mix - that's still legal even though it kills people, because it was classed a "supplement" and there are too many people making too much money off that for them to let the FDA start regulating things. But they did ban flavored vapes. Think of the children! Flavors bad, poison good. This is sort of the American Way though isn't it? Ban something young people like that's remotely connected while leaving the actual thing that killed people as legal.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 02:12:33 am by Reelya »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148469 on: November 10, 2019, 02:11:10 am »

Well the news is that they worked out why there have been a spate of vaping illnesses / deaths. Turns out that cannibis oil used in bootleg vapes was being cut with a variety of substances, and you could tell it was cut by seeing how viscous it was: the cut oil would be lighter

but then this guy found a substance to cut it with that had the right viscosity and color: vitamin e acetate, and marketed it as Honey Cut, making a whole lot of money selling to the underground THC vape cartridge market, effectively as a way to dupe the customers as to the potency of the product.

The only problem being that if you look at the Material Safety Data Sheets for vitamin e acetate it says not to inhale the stuff. They used vitamin e acetate to get around another company's patents, but apparently never bothered to check out any medical information about what they were selling, until after the deaths started, at which point Honey Cut's company quickly changed their LLC address to a post office box and can no longer be contacted.

We can pretty much say at this point that all the illnesses that started happening in early 2019 and the roughly 39 deaths are all due to that one guy who started Honey Cut. His name's Joshua Temple btw and expect to be hearing more about it. Even with the deaths they're saying that they can't 'technically' charge him, because of the stupid American laws about "supplements" being completely unregulated. Seriously.

Apparently articles say they're not considering banning the actual poison used in the Honey Cut mix - that's still legal even though it kills people, because it was classed a "supplement" and there are too many people making too much money off that for them to let the FDA start regulating things. But they did ban flavored vapes. Think of the children! Flavors bad, poison good. This is sort of the American Way though isn't it? Ban something young people like that's remotely connected while leaving the actual thing that killed people as legal.
???????
Wow, I didn’t know people sold poisons as a valid vape material, and they can’t get charged for selling poison for people to inhale
Pages: 1 ... 9896 9897 [9898] 9899 9900 ... 10974