Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9913 9914 [9915] 9916 9917 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13176028 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #148710 on: November 17, 2019, 07:59:01 am »

The true purpose of Empire Earth was to design custom scenarios where you brought the might of Napoleonic Europe down on an assortment of AIs capped at the Copper age, to truly experience the joy of suppressing and massacring native cultures.

See also: Modern age vs. Space age, for when the aliens come to destroy humanity.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148711 on: November 18, 2019, 09:08:46 am »

Samsung

I remember when Sony and Samsung were signs of good quality. I don't even know who to get decent stuff from anymore, what with all of the globalization and attempts to make everything as cheaply as possible.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #148712 on: November 18, 2019, 11:01:55 am »

The true purpose of Empire Earth was to design custom scenarios where you brought the might of Napoleonic Europe down on an assortment of AIs capped at the Copper age, to truly experience the joy of suppressing and massacring native cultures.

See also: Modern age vs. Space age, for when the aliens come to destroy humanity.

It's true. That was my favorite part. It was glorious.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148713 on: November 18, 2019, 01:39:56 pm »

Flatearth people. Wether they are doing it for free press o at heart, they must be among the stupidest people ever rigth there with the antivaccine people.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148714 on: November 18, 2019, 01:57:43 pm »

I best remember Empire Earth for the massive pile of cheats the AI always used making solo vs AI skirmishes unbearable. Nothing like watching your army get yeeted by 20 nuclear bombers(one is about 10x expensive as a normal unit) launched from a single airfield(holds 7 max, I think), then an army pop out of a small patch of FoW that they could not have conceivably been placed in to finish off any survivors.

The second was slightly better in most regards, but unit balance was awkward among other issues. I only played a demo of the third, but it was... surreal. Like a bad reaction to salvia divinorum kind of surreal.
The original devs left the publisher and lost their rights to the name 'Empire Earth'. The real Empire Earth 2, "Empires: Dawn of the Modern World" is worth checking out for any fan of the original. It does a lot of things better and a lot of things very, very strangely. Like the Chinese ceasing to exist and transforming into the USA upon leveling up out of a certain era.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 01:59:37 pm by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148715 on: November 18, 2019, 06:41:04 pm »

Yeah, it's sort of sad what happened to the dev after that however. They got another publisher and were working on a new title, but then suddenly, the new publisher yanks funding and gives their game to someone else to finish, and Goodman was out of a job.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #148716 on: November 18, 2019, 08:05:27 pm »

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #148717 on: November 18, 2019, 08:20:51 pm »

Valve announces Half Life:Alyx.
Wait, we're getting a new Half Life? I guess we can have pig wings for meals now, then.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #148718 on: November 18, 2019, 08:21:43 pm »

So it's real? Interesting.

since when did valve make games
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148719 on: November 18, 2019, 09:06:41 pm »

Flatearth people. Wether they are doing it for free press o at heart, they must be among the stupidest people ever rigth there with the antivaccine people.
One of my guilty pleasures is reading / watching flat earth material.  It's... astonishing.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #148720 on: November 18, 2019, 09:34:02 pm »

VR
Will this be the killer app VR needs for widespread adoption?
Maybe
Maybe

What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148721 on: November 18, 2019, 09:43:26 pm »

One of my guilty pleasures is reading / watching flat earth material.  It's... astonishing.

You know who did flat earth best?

Empire Earth
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148722 on: November 19, 2019, 12:27:53 am »

VR
Will this be the killer app VR needs for widespread adoption?
Maybe
Maybe

Nah. Widespread will likely be whatever the VR equivalent of Candy Crush or Farmville is. Or some inane social media thing.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148723 on: November 19, 2019, 01:18:39 am »

When something that does not cause eyestrain is invented, and becomes affordable at "TV" prices, THEN it will become mainstream.

As long as it remains "Heavy head unit with very close focal distance", a large demographic will be unable to adopt. (Myself included. My astigmatism is greatly magnified by the close proximity of the display, no matter what fancy optical tricks they pull. I get vision headaches within minutes when wearing VR goggles.)

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148724 on: November 19, 2019, 02:25:30 am »

Sadly, with current technology, I see only two ways to make VR. Either a non-interactive one, which would be a spherical room with an omnidirectional treadmill, it's walls and ceiling lined with 3d display, or an interactive version, which is headset and some devices that would allow checking body position (Be they hendheld sticks or clothing).
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.
Pages: 1 ... 9913 9914 [9915] 9916 9917 ... 10983