Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9914 9915 [9916] 9917 9918 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13205999 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #148725 on: November 19, 2019, 02:53:27 am »

there are two other technologies...

1) led light + sonic-levitation (with either an alcove underneath for hands, or some other motion tracking.
2) quadratic projection based 3D with similar.

the first can have haptic feedback.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148726 on: November 19, 2019, 09:30:42 am »

These create 3d images. But the question is: Could they be used to create VR?

Sonic levitators could, somewhat. They could be used to create a "Holodeck" with semi-solid holograms, if there were enough projectors. It would be difficult to synchronise so that the projections would not disrupt each other, but I think doable.

The quadratic projection has to be viewed from the outside and as such could not be used for VR.

The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148727 on: November 19, 2019, 10:22:11 am »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #148728 on: November 19, 2019, 02:01:01 pm »

Apparently the tv show adaptation of the city watch books is gonna have Vetinari be a lady. It's like, you can't just go and adapt good material into a show, no no, you gotta make changes for whatever reason and what better way to virtue signal and at the same time shield yourself from any criticism than to gender flip a beloved character, even if it makes zero goddamn sense because it goes against a lot of the character does and how others react to that because of it.

Tho to be fair, everyone knows that old white men holding positions of great power can't really be forces for societal progression and the advancement of equality and cultural diversity. That'd just be too absurd.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #148729 on: November 19, 2019, 02:11:36 pm »

Apparently the tv show adaptation of the city watch books is gonna have Vetinari be a lady. It's like, you can't just go and adapt good material into a show, no no, you gotta make changes for whatever reason and what better way to virtue signal and at the same time shield yourself from any criticism than to gender flip a beloved character, even if it makes zero goddamn sense because it goes against a lot of the character does and how others react to that because of it.

Tho to be fair, everyone knows that old white men holding positions of great power can't really be forces for societal progression and the advancement of equality and cultural diversity. That'd just be too absurd.
I heard that Cheery is non-binary in it. She's literally the opposite of non-binary in the books. I really hope that that's referring to before she decides to become female, but I fear that that is not the case, and they totally missed the point of Cheery.
Her point is to show the absurdity of Gender, by showing someone who identifies with one much like our female gender to rebel against their own single gender culture, showing how absurd reality is with a mirror image.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 02:14:11 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148730 on: November 19, 2019, 02:29:47 pm »

Call me a cave man, but biologically there's only 2 genders for mammals.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #148731 on: November 19, 2019, 02:33:36 pm »

There are two sexes. Gender is psychological.

Regardless, the character is assumed male because they’re a dwarf. They’re worried about coming out as female because it goes against type, among other things.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148732 on: November 19, 2019, 02:35:04 pm »

Daaaamn Baal, don't be pointing that out. xD
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #148734 on: November 19, 2019, 02:50:06 pm »

Regardless, the character is assumed male because they’re a dwarf. They’re worried about coming out as female because it goes against type, among other things.
Uh... No... Discworld dwarves' culture does not have a male or female gender. They have a single gender: dwarf. Its just translated as if they are male into Ankh-Morkporkian/English. So Cheery is assumed dwarf.
I believe explicitly identifying as male would be just as wrong to the dwarven culture.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 02:52:19 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148735 on: November 19, 2019, 02:54:11 pm »

Bit of a more lighthearted WTF:

Certain Roku devices are badly programmed and react badly to unknown packets.

If you're playing Pokemon Sword or Shield and aren't in airplane mode, your Switch floods the network that it's connected to with packets.

If your Roku and Switch are connected to the same network when this happens, the Roku crashes.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #148736 on: November 19, 2019, 03:01:37 pm »

If you're playing Pokemon Sword or Shield and aren't in airplane mode, your Switch floods the network that it's connected to with packets.

If your Roku and Switch are connected to the same network when this happens, the Roku crashes.

Ah yes... When you're so unstable that someone else shits yourself.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #148737 on: November 19, 2019, 03:02:43 pm »

I don't know much about packets. Why is the Switch just randomly sending packets around it's network?
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148738 on: November 19, 2019, 03:08:26 pm »

Simple explanation: It's trying to locate other Pokemon players, because that's a request that GameFreaks decided needed to be broadcast many times a second I guess.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 03:11:55 pm by Mephisto »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148739 on: November 19, 2019, 03:35:46 pm »

There are two sexes.
+intersex

I think it's around 1 in 100 people that, for one reason or another, don't conform to the 2 sexes thing. A slightly lower rate than being a redhead (1-2%), and several times more common than being a doctor at some point in your life (~0.3% in the US, which is what I could find statistics for). So uh, a noticeable minority of people.

Simple explanation: It's trying to locate other Pokemon players, because that's a request that GameFreaks decided needed to be broadcast many times a second I guess.

Ah, bad software causing problems with bad hardware. I don't know the extent of the multiplayer in the new game, but why doesn't it only check when you enter the multiplayer area (where you trade or fight or whatever)? And even then, every few seconds should be enough.

And also, they won't bother to remake Tank Girl with less studio meddling. Although I do like the movie's take of her being unwilling to take this terrible dystopian world she's in seriously, even when she's in life-or-death situations.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 03:38:54 pm by Iduno »
Pages: 1 ... 9914 9915 [9916] 9917 9918 ... 10984