Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9915 9916 [9917] 9918 9919 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13002780 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #148740 on: November 19, 2019, 04:05:52 pm »

Wtf a couple of woman in Brazil killed the 9 son of one of them because they wanted a girl... they tried or effectively castrate him a year before using a online video or something.... wtf has some people in their heads? Idiots like this make it harder to genuine same sex couples into being allowed to adopt.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148741 on: November 19, 2019, 04:43:36 pm »

Insano straight couples just need to stick a dick in a vag to have kids.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148742 on: November 19, 2019, 05:02:19 pm »

No to mention what kind of monster does this kind of shit.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148743 on: November 19, 2019, 05:05:49 pm »

I believe explicitly identifying as male would be just as wrong to the dwarven culture.

That is implied to be the case. Discworld dwarf's are pretty weird about the whole thing, even courting dwarfs aren't supposed to find out the other's sex until after they're married, or close to the point where they would usually get married at least.

In one of the books Cheery, post coming out as female, was excited to get asked on a date by someone she thought was probably male.

EDIT:

On the kid being murdered for not being the gender his parents/caretakers wanted, that's sadly not all that WTFy to me. Look at all the families in China who killed or abandoned their daughters because they wanted a son to carry on their name and didn't want to deal with the penalties for violating the One Child policy, or all the children physically or psychologically abused for not wanting to follow the career path their parent's want, or be part of their family's religion, or stuff like the Fritzl case, or feral children like Sujit Kumar. Parent's can be really, really horrible to children that aren't what they want them to be.

People can be fucked up in the head. Sometimes it's mental illness, sometimes it's cultural, sometimes institutional, sometimes it's one of any number of other issues. It's just an unpleasant part of being human that a reasonable portion of us are basically monsters.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 05:23:42 pm by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148744 on: November 19, 2019, 05:40:58 pm »

Apparently the tv show adaptation of the city watch books is gonna have Vetinari be a lady. It's like, you can't just go and adapt good material into a show, no no, you gotta make changes for whatever reason and what better way to virtue signal and at the same time shield yourself from any criticism than to gender flip a beloved character, even if it makes zero goddamn sense because it goes against a lot of the character does and how others react to that because of it.

Tho to be fair, everyone knows that old white men holding positions of great power can't really be forces for societal progression and the advancement of equality and cultural diversity. That'd just be too absurd.
But he gets married. To Lady Ramkin.
Also there is this thing about the Watch slowly being filled with people who are not human men. If the captain starts out not being a human man, it loses some of it's effect.
Then there is Night Watch, where Vimes takes the place of his mentor. And we already have a whole book about women pretending to be men.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148745 on: November 19, 2019, 05:42:45 pm »

Bit of a more lighthearted WTF:

Certain Roku devices are badly programmed and react badly to unknown packets.

If you're playing Pokemon Sword or Shield and aren't in airplane mode, your Switch floods the network that it's connected to with packets.

If your Roku and Switch are connected to the same network when this happens, the Roku crashes.

Good to know, even if I don't know what a Roku is. Some kind of streaming device or something? Anyways, I put my Switch in airplane mode because I realized my coworker who is playing it too could see what I was doing.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #148746 on: November 19, 2019, 05:44:19 pm »

yea, my Bluetooth can pick up the audio from my neighbors streaming service when they run it.

and pause the playback too, hilariously enough
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #148747 on: November 19, 2019, 05:44:28 pm »

Apparently the tv show adaptation of the city watch books is gonna have Vetinari be a lady. It's like, you can't just go and adapt good material into a show, no no, you gotta make changes for whatever reason and what better way to virtue signal and at the same time shield yourself from any criticism than to gender flip a beloved character, even if it makes zero goddamn sense because it goes against a lot of the character does and how others react to that because of it.

Tho to be fair, everyone knows that old white men holding positions of great power can't really be forces for societal progression and the advancement of equality and cultural diversity. That'd just be too absurd.
But he gets married. To Lady Ramkin.
Also there is this thing about the Watch slowly being filled with people who are not human men. If the captain starts out not being a human man, it loses some of it's effect.
Then there is Night Watch, where Vimes takes the place of his mentor. And we already have a whole book about women pretending to be men.

Vetinari's the Patrician, you're thinking of Vimes.

Don't rightly see the problem with Vetinari being a lady, but I've not read the books for a long while and can't remember if there's anything in particular he does in the books that wouldn't be as equally brilliant if done by a woman.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148748 on: November 19, 2019, 06:05:55 pm »

Aren't they turning Lady Ramkin into an action hero type character? I think that's possibly the greatest disservice to any of the book cast.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #148749 on: November 19, 2019, 06:24:54 pm »

Aren't they turning Lady Ramkin into an action hero type character? I think that's possibly the greatest disservice to any of the book cast.
What. But... she was awesome without being an action hero.
 Are these people incapable of writing of writing a 'strong female character' without removing part of what made them awesome in the first place?
If they want a female action hero, why not Angua? It fits her.
Or hell, IIRC that vampire lady was pretty badass, in a more actiony way.
Boom, two female action heroes that don't sacrifice what they already were.

EDIT: Why is there going to be a Jumanji sequel sequel with the same characters? Why would anyone play Jumanji again?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 06:32:58 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148750 on: November 19, 2019, 06:43:14 pm »

Why is there going to be a Jumanji sequel sequel with the same characters? Why would anyone play Jumanji again?

Don't we all return to games we should have left behind when a new expansion comes out?  :P
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #148751 on: November 19, 2019, 06:43:34 pm »

Vetinary's awesomeness in general isn't really dependent on gender, Tbh.

As for Lady Ramkin being an action hero, I must have missed that part, she does a little bit in the books? Not a lot.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148752 on: November 19, 2019, 07:09:03 pm »

It's a Jumanji DLC.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #148753 on: November 19, 2019, 07:55:56 pm »

Vetinary's awesomeness in general isn't really dependent on gender, Tbh.

As for Lady Ramkin being an action hero, I must have missed that part, she does a little bit in the books? Not a lot.
While I agree that Vetinari's awesomness is not gender-dependent itself, having the most powerful, important and dangerous person in the city be female (and still exactly like Vetinari for that matter.) would wildly affect gender politics in the city.

Ramkin does do a bit of action hero-y stuff, but its great because its unexpected and/or uncommon. If she's action hero-y all the time, then it loses its impact.
Ramkin isn't a character who is an action hero all the time.

I am a firm believer that unnecessary change shouldn't be done, so both of these irk me, because of how unnecessary they are.
I should also note I haven't really seen much of the stuff about the show and so I am acting mostly only on what you guys have said today.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148754 on: November 19, 2019, 08:13:42 pm »

Whatever nonsense, I aprove of always keeping fidelity of the original source.
Pages: 1 ... 9915 9916 [9917] 9918 9919 ... 10974