Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9916 9917 [9918] 9919 9920 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13001429 times)

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #148755 on: November 20, 2019, 01:22:06 am »

Apparently the tv show adaptation of the city watch books is gonna have Vetinari be a lady. It's like, you can't just go and adapt good material into a show, no no, you gotta make changes for whatever reason and what better way to virtue signal and at the same time shield yourself from any criticism than to gender flip a beloved character, even if it makes zero goddamn sense because it goes against a lot of the character does and how others react to that because of it.

Tho to be fair, everyone knows that old white men holding positions of great power can't really be forces for societal progression and the advancement of equality and cultural diversity. That'd just be too absurd.
But he gets married. To Lady Ramkin.
Also there is this thing about the Watch slowly being filled with people who are not human men. If the captain starts out not being a human man, it loses some of it's effect.
Then there is Night Watch, where Vimes takes the place of his mentor. And we already have a whole book about women pretending to be men.

Vetinari's the Patrician, you're thinking of Vimes.

Don't rightly see the problem with Vetinari being a lady, but I've not read the books for a long while and can't remember if there's anything in particular he does in the books that wouldn't be as equally brilliant if done by a woman.
Yeah, I messed that up. Vetinari is not that much a problem. No known romance, not any male sterotype.
They will have to explain how a woman got to be a patrician though. (Or a matriarch in that case.)
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148756 on: November 20, 2019, 08:49:54 am »

EDIT: Why is there going to be a Jumanji sequel sequel with the same characters? Why would anyone play Jumanji again?

Robin Williams is really going to look bad in this one, what with being dead and all. I suppose they have to go back into the game to save someone else, and otherwise it's the same plot? Or they're the parents know, and their children go through exactly the same plot?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #148757 on: November 20, 2019, 08:53:17 am »

This new one is actually jumanji 4, and apparently one of the players likes it better in the game.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #148758 on: November 20, 2019, 09:04:18 am »

Bethany I think. My guess is she orchestrated a return.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148759 on: November 20, 2019, 11:19:50 am »

Yeah, I messed that up. Vetinari is not that much a problem. No known romance, not any male sterotype.
They will have to explain how a woman got to be a patrician though. (Or a matriarch in that case.)

There is something of an issue that if Vetinari is female it makes the choice to have Angua in the Watch less significant. Ankh-Morpork is supposed to be sexist, classist, racist and so forth until Vetinari starts going against the rest of the aristocracy and changing things, but that only really works if Vetinari is someone who isn't already someone they'd object to on basic principles because that helps set the tone for how things have been done before. To exaggerate a bit, it's kind of like having Vetinari be a troll, it makes Detritus joining the Watch less important by extension.

Angua was both the first woman in the Watch and the first proper 'monster' in the Watch, which was the basis of the 'But she's a w-' gags throughout her initial introduction and the basis of several of the cast learning not to be sexist or anti-monster. If Vetinari is already female then a woman being in a position of authority is nothing new, so Angua is less special on that front, and then in turn Cheery is less special for being the first dwarf to defy cultural norms because the cultural norms presented in general are less repressive.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #148760 on: November 20, 2019, 11:28:18 am »

Last weekend, some guy at my local bar just turned around during a conversation and fucking clocked the woman standing behind him, breaking her nose and getting blood everywhere.

Today, a man and a woman were standing outside the same bar having an argument, when the dude pulled a knife and stabbed her.

Stabbing victim is in stable condition, most likely thanks to the bartender on duty being a big Irish tank with a history in MMA.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148761 on: November 20, 2019, 11:29:12 am »

Time to change bars.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148762 on: November 20, 2019, 11:47:28 am »

There is something of an issue that if Vetinari is female it makes the choice to have Angua in the Watch less significant. Ankh-Morpork is supposed to be sexist, classist, racist and so forth until Vetinari starts going against the rest of the aristocracy and changing things, but that only really works if Vetinari is someone who isn't already someone they'd object to on basic principles because that helps set the tone for how things have been done before. To exaggerate a bit, it's kind of like having Vetinari be a troll, it makes Detritus joining the Watch less important by extension.

Angua was both the first woman in the Watch and the first proper 'monster' in the Watch, which was the basis of the 'But she's a w-' gags throughout her initial introduction and the basis of several of the cast learning not to be sexist or anti-monster. If Vetinari is already female then a woman being in a position of authority is nothing new, so Angua is less special on that front, and then in turn Cheery is less special for being the first dwarf to defy cultural norms because the cultural norms presented in general are less repressive.
+1

I was going to write something similar, but you beat me to it.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #148763 on: November 20, 2019, 12:28:46 pm »

Time to change bars.
One would think that! But no.

I mean, I live right next door, and between the people who work there and the regulars it's pretty much the center of my friend network here in town...

The fact that it's apparently just a little too stabulous for its own good, well... Nobody's perfect, eh?

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #148764 on: November 20, 2019, 12:34:07 pm »

EDIT: Why is there going to be a Jumanji sequel sequel with the same characters? Why would anyone play Jumanji again?

Robin Williams is really going to look bad in this one, what with being dead and all.
A similar argument could be made for the new James Dean movie.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #148765 on: November 20, 2019, 12:40:55 pm »

Stabbing victim is in stable condition, most likely thanks to the bartender on duty being a big Irish tank with a history in MMA.
Conor Mcgregor?!?  :o

I thought he was busy beating up old people in bars vs actual bartending  :P
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #148766 on: November 20, 2019, 12:56:29 pm »

Nah, McGregor's a lightweight striker, lean bastard. Our man's built like a barrel of bricks. Has three daughters.

Talks shit well enough, but living in Norway's made him lose some of his touch; so we all chip in to try and keep his game up.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148767 on: November 20, 2019, 12:58:56 pm »

Has three daughters.

Is this some sort of slang or stereotype I'm not familiar with?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #148768 on: November 20, 2019, 01:04:48 pm »

Has three daughters.

Is this some sort of slang or stereotype I'm not familiar with?

Well I mean he is raised Catholic... But I was more alluding to the fact that surviving the act of raising three daughters is testament to the man's absolute resilience and mettle.

Especially considering that they all take after him, from what I hear.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148769 on: November 20, 2019, 08:00:10 pm »

Time to change bars.
Why pass up all that free entertainment?

Oh no, new page. I don't have any particularly pressing WTFs that I can think of.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 9916 9917 [9918] 9919 9920 ... 10974